Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 1 - Demons v Dogs Sat March 18th 7:25pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne-vs-Bulldogs.png

AFL 2023 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 1
MELBOURNE V WESTERN BULLDOGS
SATURDAY MARCH 18TH 7:25PM AEDT (MCG)

:arrowright: CLICK HERE JOIN TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY’S OWN SYSTEM
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

CF953DB5-3AA4-4181-9C98-45306F447E81.png

:arrowright: Weekly Premium Platinum memberships to be won!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

TEAMS

Dees

B: Petty, Lever, McVee
HB: Harmes, Tomlinson, Bowey
C: Hunter, Oliver, Langdon
HF: Chandler, Brown, Spargo
F: Pickett, Grundy, Neal-Bullen
FOL: Gawn, Sparrow, Petracca

I/C: Brayshaw, Laurie, Rivers, McDonald
EMG: Van Rooyen, Hibberd, Melksham, Jordon

Dogs
B: Duryea, Jones, Daniel
HB: Dale, Keath, Richards
C: Williams, Bontempelli, Macrae
HF: Smith, Naughton, Ugle-Hagan
F: Scott, Darcy, Lobb
FOL: English, Liberatore, Treloar

I/C: Johannisen, Bruce, Baker, Hannan
EMG: Khamis, Crozier, McLean, Sweet

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Last edited:

Huge game.

2021 Grand Final rematch. Hunter and Schache crossed paths to Dees. Grundy in.

Recent games between the two have been mouth-watering. Hoping for the same.

Think our forward line has an advantage over theirs.

Dogs by 17.

Gawn & Grundy looked ominous today. Given they were playing against fairly average rucks, they will be the best ruck combo by some distance.

I have very little faith in the Dogs defence, or the two way running of their smalls. Their tall forward line looks great though, as does English in the ruck, and the mids when they have the ball are exceptional. Plus Bontempelli is a top 3 player and could drag them over the line. If May and Lever are on, and we kick to the advantage of our forwards, I think we will win by about five goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will need a couple of our quick players back, JJ, Garcia because their transition will kill us. Their two rucks look good, even when they are resting in defence or forward.

Our rucking is still poor, but our rucks around the ground are good along with our forward line which is deadly, and our defence has improved but we will be missing a few there which will probably cost us the game.

I think Melbourne by 11 points.

I think Melbourne win.

I have never seen a tall Dogs side. Always one or two short normally. It will take some games for me to be convinced in how our defence and forwards gel.

For me, games at the start of the season are always a wild guess.
Demons look good and the dogs look good. Should be a great game.

Naughton, Jamarra and Darcy to kick 10 between them.

Jones to accidentally spoil Gawns face.

Weightman to kick more goals than Kosi

Libba BOG

Dogs by 20+

Demon backline was at it's imperious best Lever/May/Petty will cover Naughton well enough, Bowey and Gus to bring it out, and Lachie and Langdon to torch them with transition. All respect to the dogs who are not bad, but we have the silk and the steel to run through them. Not sure the Dog's defense is settled enough. Plenty of respect for Naughton/Bont/Jamarra as goal kickers though.

I have very little faith in the Dogs defence, or the two way running of their smalls. Their tall forward line looks great though, as does English in the ruck, and the mids when they have the ball are exceptional. Plus Bontempelli is a top 3 player and could drag them over the line. If May and Lever are on, and we kick to the advantage of our forwards, I think we will win by about five goals.

We've adjusted the way we've set up in the middle and in defence a bit over the pre season. Seem to be playing a more standard set up this year.

Should be a good game. Grundy could get a hold of us as he's done in the past against English.

Round 1 is generally pretty dodgy in terms of results but both teams seem healthy and in good form.

Demon backline was at it's imperious best Lever/May/Petty will cover Naughton well enough, Bowey and Gus to bring it out, and Lachie and Langdon to torch them with transition. All respect to the dogs who are not bad, but we have the silk and the steel to run through them. Not sure the Dog's defense is settled enough. Plenty of respect for Naughton/Bont/Jamarra as goal kickers though.
Interesting how highly Melb supporters rate Hunters offensive transition - as a dogs supporter and a big fan of Hunter over the years, he was an absolute gun at his short-lived best. But even in his BNF year he never once ‘torched an opposition with transition’. Couldn’t be further from the type of player he is tbh, I think Melb supporters are in for a bit of a shock there if that’s what they’re expecting when the real stuff starts.

In saying that if he finds his best he’ll be a great pick up for you, I genuinely hope he gets himself sorted

Also you may be able to cover Naughton, but can you cover Naughton, Lobb, Marra & Darcy? Will definitely make your talls accountable and make it harder for them to back each other up as they usually do so well.

At the other end of the ground I think Jones & Keath will have an easier time with Brown & McDonald. Fritsch the danger man who always seems to get us.

This game will come down to the midfield battle but honestly if we’re somewhat competitive in the middle, I think our forward line will be too potent for you. Should be a cracker

Melbourne by 23 for mine. Not a knock on the Dogs, just think the Dees will be up and about. Excited for this match.

Interesting how highly Melb supporters rate Hunters offensive transition - as a dogs supporter and a big fan of Hunter over the years, he was an absolute gun at his short-lived best. But even in his BNF year he never once ‘torched an opposition with transition’. Couldn’t be further from the type of player he is tbh, I think Melb supporters are in for a bit of a shock there if that’s what they’re expecting when the real stuff starts.

In saying that if he finds his best he’ll be a great pick up for you, I genuinely hope he gets himself sorted

Also you may be able to cover Naughton, but can you cover Naughton, Lobb, Marra & Darcy? Will definitely make your talls accountable and make it harder for them to back each other up as they usually do so well.

At the other end of the ground I think Jones & Keath will have an easier time with Brown & McDonald. Fritsch the danger man who always seems to get us.

This game will come down to the midfield battle but honestly if we’re somewhat competitive in the middle, I think our forward line will be too potent for you. Should be a cracker
I think Melbourne supporters mean his disposal and decision making will torch teams

If the Bulldogs play 4 tall forwards you want want to clunk everything because otherwise you are going to get run off your feet down there, 4 is too many talls for mine

I think Melbourne supporters mean his disposal and decision making will torch teams

If the Bulldogs play 4 tall forwards you want want to clunk everything because otherwise you are going to get run off your feet down there, 4 is too many talls for mine
That’s the thing though his disposal and decision making has been his biggest weaknesses over his career at the dogs. He constantly fluffs his short loopy kicks and has no penetration, plus he’s way too slow to move the footy on at times which was super frustrating for us and one of the reasons dogs fans were happy to let him go. His positives being his extremely strong tank with his workrate up and down the field. Surprisingly good inside the contest and composed under pressure and extremely creative by hand. But he’s always been one of the worst users by foot in the side and has been the cause of many break downs in transition.

I haven’t seen him this preseason, maybe he’s got all his strengths back and worked on his weaknesses but I’d be very surprised if he’s done a complete 180 in regards to torching opposition teams with his ball use. If that’s the case then props you’ve probably gotten the best wing in the league for free, but I’d suspect he’ll be a bit of a shock for Melbourne fans when the real stuff comes if that’s what you’re expecting.

Mm I guess we’ll find out soon if it’s too tall but that’s how it looks like we’ll line up. Remember though that we’re not going to have all 4 in the forward line at the same time, there will usually be one on the bench, Lobb will chop out English in the ruck, Darcy will likely swing to defence if needed.

There’s no real reference to how it will go because it hasn’t been tried, but they’re all very mobile. Naughty is our best pressure player inside 50 even though he’s 195cm, he’s rated elite for tackles inside 50 for any position. Marra not far behind if his tank is up to scratch to let him do it for a full game. Lobb and Darcy more lumbering in comparison but more mobile than most 200cm+ blokes and will both get very high up field (as will Naughty & Marra) so it’s not going to be 4 talls chained the goal square.

Of course Melbourne on the large MCG is a completely different ball game to a praccy against NM but on the weekend the 4 of them combined for 10.3, 18 marks and more importantly 10 tackles inside 50 & 47 PAs. Remains to be seen how it goes but I think there’d be a few defences concerned with how well they worked together

We've adjusted the way we've set up in the middle and in defence a bit over the pre season. Seem to be playing a more standard set up this year.

Should be a good game. Grundy could get a hold of us as he's done in the past against English.

Round 1 is generally pretty dodgy in terms of results but both teams seem healthy and in good form.
Will be interested to see it. Daniel and Dale always dangerous by foot, albeit they rarely play well against us, its more the outside midfield battlers and small forwards who rarely deliver the kind of passes that the tall forwards need. Against May/Petty/Lever, that's often been the Dogs' achilles heel.

Back