Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 10 - Dockers v Cats Sat May 20th 4:35pm AEST/ 2:35PM WST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If they are that reliant on Dangerfield and Guthrie they are in a lot of trouble going forward.

They have had a good run over time but they haven’t really beaten much this year and they are a mile Brisbane , Melbourne, Port and Collingwood.

In the field for 6th to 14th.

It's true, our midfield depth is not great, and Selwood going has left a much bigger hole than most people realize. You take out Oliver/Trac, Taranto/Prestia, Neale/Dunkley, De Goey/Mitchell, Brayshaw/Serong, Dawson/Laird, Steele/Sinclair, Bont/B. Smith, Butters/Rozee, out of the sides around us, and I reckon they'd have trouble in the midfield too.

It's been a problem the last few weeks, and unfortunately, our young guys just don't have the same ability when the game is on the line to really turn things around. Not an excuse, just where we're at, at the moment.

Our backline actually holds up ok, but the volume of entries and the way the ball transitions from D50 to F50, is just too good. If this were Collingwood today, we would have lost by 50+ points.

Honestly remarkable how much of a difference Rohan makes in our forward half, to lock the ball in. Likewise Duncan's ball use, SDK's calm head down back, etc.

All in all though, our depth isn't great, and will take a while until it can match the better teams. Think we functioned fine against the lesser sides/more depleted ones, but overall, Atkins, Blics, Bruhn and Parfitt are not even close to the best sides.

O'Meara, Bray and Serong had 87 disposals between them, while our top 3 ball winning mids had 50 between them. Says it all really.

If we need a completely fit 22 to win this year, then we're never gonna beat the best sides - because it's never going to happen. Most sides have a decent starting 22, but when you lose key players, it's the role players/system that really stand out. We've definitely dropped off this year.

It's true, our midfield depth is not great, and Selwood going has left a much bigger hole than most people realize. You take out Oliver/Trac, Taranto/Prestia, Neale/Dunkley, De Goey/Mitchell, Brayshaw/Serong, Dawson/Laird, Steele/Sinclair, Bont/B. Smith, Butters/Rozee, out of the sides around us, and I reckon they'd have trouble in the midfield too.

It's been a problem the last few weeks, and unfortunately, our young guys just don't have the same ability when the game is on the line to really turn things around. Not an excuse, just where we're at, at the moment.

Our backline actually holds up ok, but the volume of entries and the way the ball transitions from D50 to F50, is just too good. If this were Collingwood today, we would have lost by 50+ points.

Honestly remarkable how much of a difference Rohan makes in our forward half, to lock the ball in. Likewise Duncan's ball use, SDK's calm head down back, etc.

All in all though, our depth isn't great, and will take a while until it can match the better teams. Think we functioned fine against the lesser sides/more depleted ones, but overall, Atkins, Blics, Bruhn and Parfitt are not even close to the best sides.

O'Meara, Bray and Serong had 87 disposals between them, while our top 3 ball winning mids had 50 between them. Says it all really.

If we need a completely fit 22 to win this year, then we're never gonna beat the best sides - because it's never going to happen. Most sides have a decent starting 22, but when you lose key players, it's the role players/system that really stand out. We've definitely dropped off this year.
Really good post. I agree you need to cover a few outs, but there is a breaking point.. the competition is way too even to have 7 crucial players out and still expect to beat decent opposition. We cannot cover a hold that big, nobody could

Freo did what they needed to and Geelong were respectable given their outs.

Not sure we can learn too much about either team from this. Freo appear to have turned things around but there's still a lot of games to play out. Geelong will probably be thereabouts again but need their midfield leaders back soon.

Thx mate. I thought there were flashes of Geelongs best today. I gotta admit I usually barrack for the Cats when they are playing other teams. Weird I know.

Bits here and there but nothing consistently looked like a Geelong game. Henry and Tommy were good and kept us in it.

What I do find odd is that this Freo midfield and ball movement was there last year, I remember because you belted us, but where did it go for the start of this year?

Not sure we can learn too much about either team from this. Freo appear to have turned things around but there's still a lot of games to play out. Geelong will probably be thereabouts again but need their midfield leaders back soon.
About time. Among pages of tripe something sensible.

The sense I get with the current Geelong team is that a 2-3 goal lead to the opposition is quite safe. Funnily enough, even with three 2022 All Australians in the forward line, we just look completely incapable of banging on 3/4/5 goals without coughing up a couple the other way. So it's really important to put the scoreboard pressure on early, which we didn't do this week, or last week, squandering easy chances.

Full credit to Fremantle, by far the better side today and a very important win for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bits here and there but nothing consistently looked like a Geelong game. Henry and Tommy were good and kept us in it.

What I do find odd is that this Freo midfield and ball movement was there last year, I remember because you belted us, but where did it go for the start of this year?
Mate I have no idea. Trust me, I wasn't impressed. It seems we've started building a bit. I think having Fyfe back has helped the morale of the side, even if he hasn't played full games yet (I think?).
I think it will be good if we can keep it up.

Really good post. I agree you need to cover a few outs, but there is a breaking point.. the competition is way too even to have 7 crucial players out and still expect to beat decent opposition. We cannot cover a hold that big, nobody could

Mmm I don't think it's just injuries now though. We've been leaky all year, except against Sydney. Even West Coast kicked 89 on us. If we need a fully fit 22 to execute our game plan, then it's just not going to happen.

Danger and Guth would help immensely, and help out our forwards too...but our real issue this year is the way it's just being waltzed out of our forward line and transitioned from D50 to F50 without much pressure at all.

Collingwood did it to us in the 4th quarter round 1, and the trend has continued since then. It's very unlike us, and it points to an inability to lock it into our forward line like the best teams do/like we did for 16 rounds last year.

I honestly think even once we get players back, that'll still be a concern - and one we need to rectify very quickly, if we even want to play finals.

Think this might be the end of an era, and I'm honestly fine with that given what I've seen from a lot of the kids thus far. J. Henry, O. Henry, Bowes, Knevitt, Clark, Holmes, Ratugolea, Bruhn, O'Connor, Simmo, Neale, SDK, Zuthrie, Stengle, Close, Miers, is a decent contingent to build around - but we need some real solid mids over the coming years, or we will plummet very quickly. Need Conway to develop too, and another KPF to partner Neale in the future (could be Foster, but early days yet).

Last year was our swan song where it all fell into place, but we just don't seem to have the injury luck/game plan/cohesion/form that we had last year. Is what it is, and I honestly will be kinda glad to see something new and fresh moving forward - if we inevitably bomb out in finals this year/don't even make it, as looks likely over the past 2 weeks.

If they are that reliant on Dangerfield and Guthrie they are in a lot of trouble going forward.

They have had a good run over time but they haven’t really beaten much this year and they are a mile Brisbane , Melbourne, Port and Collingwood.

In the field for 6th to 14th.
That’s about where it stands on current information. Good summation. Not overly worried though. Getting important time into kids and when others come back they may just build to something to contest late in season. If not, it’ll be an interesting season to watch. Don’t see us dropping off the face of the competition as some would like.great club to support

Well put.

It was one of those "Well you can't accuse them of not having a crack, they wouldn't have lost too many supporters." Which is great, but after the 0-3 start, we can't really afford too many more respectable losses if we want to be in the mix come September.

A season-defining run of games for both clubs leading into and just following the bye.

We’ll win 13-15 easy. Games in Geelong are guaranteed 4 points.
13 -15 wins is pure fantasy. They're not good enough to win all their games at the Cattery either. They'll be lucky to beat the Giants down there next week, it's an even money game. The Cats won't beat Dees, Port, Dogs or the return game against the Dockers down there. We have to accept they are pretty much gone for this season...They might not even make it to 10 wins!

Will gladly take four points and a percentage boost. Played well when we got going - Geelong couldn’t keep up with the speed. Was closer to 50:50 when the game was at a slower pace. Not bad beating both last years grand finalists back to back and kicking 100 again is nice too

Mmm I don't think it's just injuries now though. We've been leaky all year, except against Sydney. Even West Coast kicked 89 on us. If we need a fully fit 22 to execute our game plan, then it's just not going to happen.

Danger and Guth would help immensely, and help out our forwards too...but our real issue this year is the way it's just being waltzed out of our forward line and transitioned from D50 to F50 without much pressure at all.

Collingwood did it to us in the 4th quarter round 1, and the trend has continued since then. It's very unlike us, and it points to an inability to lock it into our forward line like the best teams do/like we did for 16 rounds last year.

I honestly think even once we get players back, that'll still be a concern - and one we need to rectify very quickly, if we even want to play finals.

Think this might be the end of an era, and I'm honestly fine with that given what I've seen from a lot of the kids thus far. J. Henry, O. Henry, Bowes, Knevitt, Clark, Holmes, Ratugolea, Bruhn, O'Connor, Simmo, Neale, SDK, Zuthrie, Stengle, Close, Miers, is a decent contingent to build around - but we need some real solid mids over the coming years, or we will plummet very quickly. Need Conway to develop too, and another KPF to partner Neale in the future (could be Foster, but early days yet).

Last year was our swan song where it all fell into place, but we just don't seem to have the injury luck/game plan/cohesion/form that we had last year. Is what it is, and I honestly will be kinda glad to see something new and fresh moving forward - if we inevitably bomb out in finals this year/don't even make it, as looks likely over the past 2 weeks.
Disagree with a lot of this. And I don’t even know what end of an era even means?? We have had about 4-5 eras and mass list turn overs since 2007 onwards, so not sure what era you are referring to.

I said I agree we can’t expect to have our b22 but there is a breaking point where it will have an immense impact on anyone, we currently have 8b22 missing which would knock just about any club over including collingwood Brisbane. Premierships do require an element of luck and good fortune as well as timing.. and we just don’t have it this year. I do agree we are due for a bit of a larger turnover, which I am also fine with given our huge success of 4 flags and countless finals appearances over a long period.

In terms of leaking goals, I recall Scott said last year early in the year they are going to continue with and stick with the game plan and essentially live and die by the sword.

They are prepared to roll the dice and try to continue to execute it better is how I would read into their approach.

Back