Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 10 - North v Swans Sat May 20th 1:45pm AEST (Marvel) Footage of interchange in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• North by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North by 7 - 20

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • North by a lot

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

To make matters worse, I had some Swans supporters behind me who were asking each other why the teams were changing ends each quarter

Another siren gate?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230520_165534_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230520_165534_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 166
If it's wrong then that goal must be taken off the swans and result overturned
Unmm that’s not how the world works. Even if the AFL wanted to reverse a mistake, there’s no way to know if Sydney would have kicked a goal from that stoppage… or the in the last minute.

Nice idea to live in a fantasy world where you can live an alternate universe based on a decision, but there’s no way to reverse a decision when there is time left.

How can no one on the North bench or in the coaches box know they were at the interchange limit?

That is genuinely an amateur level mistake.
They absolutely know, they're not idiots.

They know how many centimeters every player has spent running in a game.
They know how much body fat a player has on his bones to the gram.
They know how many minutes to spend in a hyperbaric chamber to raise fitness level by 0.01%
They know exactly how many interchanges they have left and they CHOSE to go over the limit.

Hell, they probably let the upstairs umpire know they ****ed up because he was probably asleep with his head in a bowl of cornflakes.

Dead set tank job, but will the media have the balls to call it out?

Last edited:
It should just be blocked if they try to go over surely.

Would mean if your team has just conceded a kick in you could just use the interchange even if you are over the cap which doesn’t make sense.
I would have thought an AFL steward would step in and deliver a warning that by their count the limit had been reached, but it seems not.

Maybe that's why there is also a 50m penalty, so you can't just do it after giving up a free? I doubt it was thought through to that extent though.

How can no one on the North bench or in the coaches box know they were at the interchange limit?

That is genuinely an amateur level mistake.
How can umpires and AFL let that decide a game of football?

If a club has maxed their interchanges then surely the reserve umpire & interchange steward gets out of their chair and let's their players know by standing in front of their bench with their arms out or waves a red flag or something...

Free kick and 50m penalty for that? The infringement had zero impact on the game. Just call the player back.

What a farcical application of the rules. It really is pathetic.

This league is a joke

Last edited:
Unmm that’s not how the world works. Even if the AFL wanted to reverse a mistake, there’s no way to know if Sydney would have kicked a goal from that stoppage… or the in the last minute.

Nice idea to live in a fantasy world where you can live an alternate universe based on a decision, but there’s no way to reverse a decision when there is time left.
I’m sure they would have had to been 100% sure before they made such a massive call.

Remember when Chad Warner booted the ball into the crowd when he heard the siren and the umpires didn't award a Prestia a 50m penalty?

Remember when Dane Rampe climbed the goal post and there was no free kick paid against him?

Remember when Tom Papley took a dive after kicking a goal vs Hawthorn and was rewarded with another goal?

Remember when Barry Hall punched Matt Maguire in the solar plexus 100m away from the action, but the tribunal said it occurred "in the play" ?

These were all manufactured Swans victories by less than a kick. I guess we can add another to the list.
"Free Kick, Hawthorn"

Dont Forget the time we had 19 players on the field against North Melbourne, which forced a rule change that cost North Melbourne today.

do we double points for that? I mean, that is good long-term planning

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Free Kick, Hawthorn"

Dont Forget the time we had 19 players on the field against North Melbourne, which forced a rule change that cost North Melbourne today.

do we double points for that? I mean, that is good long-term planning
Not free kick Hawthorn :rolleyes:

Free kick Sydney

Like, it's not enough the AFL gives you all the free kicks off the field.
Gotta look after you on the field, too.

I have a history of choosing bad sports teams, notably the Cleveland Browns and NMFC.

For several years, I began just hoping for complete and utter absurdity in Browns games because we weren't going to win anything anytime soon. And wow, did I ever get that.

It's rare I can watch AFL games live over here. This game started at 10:45 pm for me-- much better than the games where the final score comes in just before I wake up. So I was excited that I would get to see a decent bit of this one.

With NMFC up by sixteen points, my Firestick crapped out on me and wouldn't reconnect to my router. So I had to restart everything. And I was sitting there thinking "I bet they find a way to blow this in astonishing fashion."

And I got everything back up and working with 30 seconds left, NMFC down 3, thanks to checks notes an interchange violation?

My wishes for complete and utter absurdity have now moved from the Cleveland Browns to NMFC. Let 2028 hurry up and get here so I can convert to being a Tassie fan and cheer for yet another hopeless team.

It's now 2 am. I hate everything. I'm going to bed.

Embrace the absurdity. It makes this easier.

Some North officials only job is to count up to 80 or whatever it is and they still managed to stuff that up ROFL.

Seriously comical that they lost because someone cant count.

It will be heavily debated if it was ineptitude or strategic, but for me, I think this one makes "the list".

• North Melbourne makes a 76th interchange.
  • Dean Bailey taking a dominant James Frawley off Riewoldt. Riewoldt then kicks 3 goals on Lynden Dunn.
  • Dean Bailey moving defender Brad Miller in to the ruck and ruckman Paul Johnson into to the backline. Richmond come from behind to win after the siren.
  • Demons inexplicitly using 18 less rotations than their average.
  • Pagan benches Fevola after he kicks his 6th goal
  • Dean Bailey benching Liam Jurrah in the third quarter after he caught fire and kicked 2 goals. Didn't come back on until late in the fourth.
  • Carlton decide not to tag the incredibly dangerous and incredibly taggable Travis Johnstone after consistently tagging him to good effect in previous games. Johnstone has 42 disposals and a goal.
  • Fevola being put in for pinky finger surgery with 2 rounds to play.
  • AFL releases statement that there is no evidence of tanking, then fines a club $500,000 for "not tanking" while board members of said club were openly bragging about tanking.

If a club has maxed their interchanges then surely the reserve umpire & interchange steward gets out of their chair and let's their players know by standing in front of their bench with their arms out or waves a red flag or something...
Only problem is they may not have maxed their interchanges. They could have made 73 and sent on three players or something similar.

Back