Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 10 - Port v Demons Fri May 19th 7:50pm AEST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Demons are going nowhere this year. You can't compete with one good quarter and 3 bad ones.
Lever needs a few months in the VFL, I counted 3 goals that he gifted PA. A few others would also benefit from a break. And please, mark Brayshaw down as a trade candidate.

PA looked good. They handled the conditions much better than the Demons.

Port played well but I don't know how their supporters can deny they didn't get an absolute ride from the umpires in the last quarter.

I can't understand how that was a holding the ball free kick against Petracca that led to the matchwinning goal to Rozee, it should have been a ball up.

The umpires were playing to the crowd and paying crowd pleasing free kicks that either weren't there or soft free kicks that should have been play on.
I don’t see any supporters denying that we had a good run. To be fair if any team deserves a good run then it’s Port. It’s only the second game this season that we have had more frees for

I don’t see any supporters denying that we had a good run. To be fair if any team deserves a good run then it’s Port. It’s only the second game this season that we have had more frees for
Seems like the complaints of Graeme Cornes about the raw deal the 2 SA teams get from the umpires has worked a treat? Both Crows and Power have had a great ride over the last few weeks.

Interestingly the heaviest and prolonged rain all night was in the 3rd qtr.
Not saying I disagree with you at all, I think we are suited to wet weather footy too, but tonight we had more dominance in the drier conditions.

Well your boys beat us (the Dogs) in miserable wet conditions, so I'd say when playing in the wet at home Power is better suited to those conditions. We played too tall & too slow against your mob

Dixon and Marshall not playing helped Port tonight. It forced them to kick to the better option instead of the key player. Dixon and Marshall coming back don't automatically make Port a better side. Whilst both players are easily in their best 22, they only help Port if they're used effectively. One of the biggest weaknesses in Port's game for the last few years is converting territory and I50s to scores. This is partly because they tend to focus on kicking the ball to Dixon / Marshall at the expense of the better option. Without those 2 playing, Port didn't have that problem.
I get what you’re saying, but I don’t necessarily agree because May/Lever/Rivers had 23 intercept possessions between them in a wet game with Port tweaking their game by going down the line more often than not so Dixon and Marshall aerially would’ve helped at least halve some of those contests and bring the ball down for the Port smalls/mids to lock the ball in Port’s forward half.

We will all have hypotheticals around whether X or Y played, but that’s how I also see it with Dixon and Marshall in. Nothing against Lord or Finlayson, but I was backing May and Lever to do what they did against a lesser 2 KPF compared to someone like Dixon who would’ve smashed more contests.

I haven’t understood the consistent hatred of Hinkley by Port people, maybe someone can explain it.

Port was an absolute basket case when came in. Within a couple of years they were winning finals and making prelims and have been consistently up there most years since.

Port financially are a small club, to be consistently competing is a big effort. You can’t win the flag every year, you’ve just got to keep getting to that last 4 and putting your name in there.
Hmm but yet other coaches get slammed as soon as their team falls in a rut like Carlton, Saint Kilda, Western Bulldogs, etc... but Portz, nah accept your mediocrity.

By the way, Ken was never our soul saviour. A lot of changes in the club occurred off the ground back then that no one outside of the club cares to mention.

Change in ownership, board, CEO and President. Merging of the AFL and SANFL clubs back to One Port Adelaide. Breaking away from SANFL control that leeched our cash revenues sending us broke. Forcing the move from Crow (Football) Park back to Adelaide Oval where we average higher attendances.

The club now appears to be doing well and reducing debt with the hope of shaking off AFL control and swinging back to member control.

Seems like the complaints of Graeme Cornes about the raw deal the 2 SA teams get from the umpires has worked a treat? Both Crows and Power have had a great ride over the last few weeks.
Know one listens to GC any more.

This occurred when Ken finally spoke out about it in a post match conference as we were on the bottom of the free-kick differential ladder by a large margin.

He couldn't fathom the 2 rule books in play any more.

Demons are going nowhere this year. You can't compete with one good quarter and 3 bad ones.
Lever needs a few months in the VFL, I counted 3 goals that he gifted PA. A few others would also benefit from a break. And please, mark Brayshaw down as a trade candidate.

PA looked good. They handled the conditions much better than the Demons.
Demons of 2021 are like the Hawks of 08.
A good core, but the role players were unheralded.
2022 and 2023 are very similar to the Hawks in 09 and 10. A bit of coasting going on.
Problem for the demons that I see, is that unlike the Hawks of 12-15, they can't just flick the switch and play 5 mins of tempo when things go belly up

With the Eagles being rubbish this year, Port at home is becoming a very tricky game, great crowd well into it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dees couldn’t stop or tag Butters…. Cost them… let’s see if Port can play like that away from home…. Will be a good test.
Agreed, no respect unless you can knock off a contender on their home patch.

But still impressed with the win last night even with a compromised forward line, no elite ruck and an undersized defence.

I haven’t understood the consistent hatred of Hinkley by Port people, maybe someone can explain it.

Port was an absolute basket case when came in. Within a couple of years they were winning finals and making prelims and have been consistently up there most years since.
Maybe holding the world record for the most games coached at a single AFL club without making a grand final has something to do with it. He hasn't got what it takes to take the next step.

Also the "absolute basket case" narrative is a myth. If you take the lowest average regular season home attendance for each team since we've been in the comp we're not even in the bottom five. Western Bulldogs, Brisbane, North Melbourne, Gold Coast, and GWS have all had worse average home attendances than we did at our lowest ebb.

We're also one of only 4 clubs along with Geelong, Sydney, and Hawthorn never to have won a wooden spoon over the same period. Carlton have won 5 and Hawthorn are at risk of joining the wooden spooner list this year.

The perception that we were a bee's dick away from folding given most of the competition have turned in worse performances than our worst over the journey is pure bullshit.

The perception that we were a bee's dick away from folding given most of the competition have turned in worse performances than our worst over the journey is pure bubullshit

That perception is some what real as the SANFL was bleeding us dry at football park.

Forced the split of 2 clubs so we had to pay double to service these clubs.

Had 2 pay twice for sub licence, then full licence.

At no point during our AFL entry in 1997 that our clubs finances was in total control until the SANFL relinquished their control of club once Adelaide Oval became the new home of football.

It was a pretty good game considering the conditions, both teams will be challenging for the top four positions and I reckon by the end of this round we'll see who the real contenders are in 2023. At the moment I think that will be Pies, Lions, Dees, Port, Dogs and the rest are just making up the numbers...There are only 5 teams who can win the flag this year.

One big downer for PA is that they didn't bury Melb in the first half.
They wasted a lot of chances.

Honestly, Melbourne supporters take the cake. Got handed the game v Gold Coast by the umps and last night the umps refused to penalize their ruckmen who got caught holding and dropping the ball so many times I lost count. Sometimes you just need to take the L and shut up. You cant play 1 quarter against a quality side even if most of their forward line is out.

I thought Port deserved to win. But the umpiring was a disgrace. Both of Ollie Lords goals were simply not there. The first one wasn't 15m and the 2nd one hit the ground. I think we can agree on that. And then the Petracca holding the ball decision that lead to the Rozee sealer. That's 3 goals before we even start. Finlayson flopping on Van Rooyen was 4 goals. A 4 goal head start is a big head start in the wet. I think the only debatable one is the Finlayson one.
I apologise to all Richmond fans. This guy takes the cake for any of the s**t takes given out during your premiership days.

One big downer for PA is that they didn't bury Melb in the first half.
They wasted a lot of chances.
Its not ideal but the fact is, despite not finishing off our opportunities, we're still racking up the W's.
And that should be a genuine concern for anyone we play as when we get it right it will be hard to counter given our pressure when not in posession.

Back