Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 10 - Port v Demons Fri May 19th 7:50pm AEST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t necessarily agree because May/Lever/Rivers had 23 intercept possessions between them in a wet game with Port tweaking their game by going down the line more often than not so Dixon and Marshall aerially would’ve helped at least halve some of those contests and bring the ball down for the Port smalls/mids to lock the ball in Port’s forward half.

We will all have hypotheticals around whether X or Y played, but that’s how I also see it with Dixon and Marshall in. Nothing against Lord or Finlayson, but I was backing May and Lever to do what they did against a lesser 2 KPF compared to someone like Dixon who would’ve smashed more contests.
All of those marks were after the first 40 minutes, and a lot of them in the 3rd quarter, when Port largely abandoned the game plan of kicking it to a lead and reverted back to kicking a ball long down the line to an outnumbered contest. Not surprising that once Port's better kicks like Butters and Bergman started targeting the leading forward again like they did in the 2nd half of the last quarter their forward line got on top again.

Dixon and Marshall are important cogs for Port, but only if used smartly. Kicking it long to them in a contest as your go to option allows you to be predictable to your teammates but also to the opposition. It means that they compete outnumbered more often than not and their impact gets lessened. Port got 5 goals out of Lord and Finlayson in the wet and they both missed a few. That's about what they've got out of Dixon and Marshall in dry conditions.

Port's biggest weaknesses has been turning I50s into scores. Part of the reason for this has been their unwillingness to target leading options and kicking to Dixon and Marshall outnumbered. It's all well and good competing and bringing the ball to ground, but the reality is that as Dixon and Marshall are a lot more often than not outnumbered, the ball gets turned over anyway with 1 player keeps them out the contest and the other wins the ball.

Going by history, Dixon and Marshall probably would have halved a lot more contests than Lord and Finlayson did, but they also would've been targeted outnumbered a lot more as well. Furthermore, how many more opportunities did other players get. If Port start being smarter with how they use Dixon and Marshall they have a forward line capable on giving any defence problems, similar to Geelong last year. Multiple options capable of kicking a goal from outside 45 and a midfield willing to kick to a leading player if their opponent doesn't go with them.

Difference is that the Hunter one is controversial. The Jonas one was not.
I don’t think the Hunter suspension is controversial at all, if anything it’s consistent.

We have seen it regularly this year, if you take the head - regardless of the action - you are in trouble. The match review have been consistent with this, then the tribunal sorts it out.

As for the Jonas incident, I won’t comment, as I can’t find a reply.

I don’t think the Hunter suspension is controversial at all, if anything it’s consistent.

We have seen it regularly this year, if you take the head - regardless of the action - you are in trouble. The match review have been consistent with this, then the tribunal sorts it out.

As for the Jonas incident, I won’t comment, as I can’t find a reply.

Interesting take.

To me it looked very similar to the Mitch Duncan bump which he got off for. It’s hard to tell what will / will be punished sometimes.

I actually never mentioned anything about Petty, or him being the difference. Maybe a different poster did. I literally only mentioned the umpires and Goodwin not putting someone on Butters as the difference. Melbourne are a pretty damn average football team. Essendon smashed us. We're not a barometer. It wasn't a night for key forwards. If there was ever a night to be missing Marshall and Dixon it was in the wet.

Don’t forget the boundary throw in with 15 sec to go that turned the whole game.

Save your melts for next week. Umpiring was fine.

lol. Watch the last quarter of tigers v bombers at the mcg where the two teams decide the outcome , not phantom umpiring decisions in front of goal and then watch the last quarter of port v Melbourne at Shitlaide Oval and tell me it was fine. Maybe start at end of third quarter when Dees got up.

I know you are still probably upset you couldn't get over Collingwood after the Shitlaide Oval umpires jumped in to try and keep the home crowd happy and you still couldn't win. That's got to hurt.... that and living in Deadlaide.

I actually never mentioned anything about Petty, or him being the difference. Maybe a different poster did. I literally only mentioned the umpires and Goodwin not putting someone on Butters as the difference. Melbourne are a pretty damn average football team. Essendon smashed us. We're not a barometer. It wasn't a night for key forwards. If there was ever a night to be missing Marshall and Dixon it was in the wet.
And rioli and duursma and fantasia. Let's not talk about our limp wristed ruckman who was as useful as a carbon rod. But do go on.

On moto g62 5G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems some Dees supporters have forgotten the ridiculous 'blocking' frees early in the game- all their way. one of them easily the worst decision of the game gifting a fifty and a free goal. swings and roundabouts. Take the umpiring out of it and accept the better team on the night won.
Exactly. Port played 3 good quarters, we played one. I think the scoreboard flattered us by about 20 points.

Well your boys beat us (the Dogs) in miserable wet conditions, so I'd say when playing in the wet at home Power is better suited to those conditions. We played too tall & too slow against your mob
We have won 8 in a row at Marvel. I would argue we are better suited to dry conditions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t forget the boundary throw in with 15 sec to go that turned the whole game.
The ball was thrown towards Port's attacking end. At a time when Port were flooding back defensively to prevent Melbourne from scoring. The boundary umpire threw the ball in a direction where he would've thought Melbourne had more numbers.

Its not the boundary umpire's fault that SPP just wanted it more than the Demons players.

Back