Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 11 - Swans v Blues Fri 26th May 7:50pm AEST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton were in control for almost all of that game and their pressure was genuinely impressive. I know Mckay is the talking point but Curnow missed two he should have kicked after big clunks that would have got them going aswell. 6.15 is inexcusable. I felt like a Carlton fan tonight, I was so frustrated watching them, can't imagine what being a real fan felt like. They are 80% there to being a really good football side but something is just not clicking.

Carlton were in control for almost all of that game and their pressure was genuinely impressive. I know Mckay is the talking point but Curnow missed two he should have kicked after big clunks that would have got them going aswell. 6.15 is inexcusable. I felt like a Carlton fan tonight, I was so frustrated watching them, can't imagine what being a real fan felt like. They are 80% there to being a really good football side but something is just not clicking.

You’re 100% right in that Carlton’s pressure was huge especially in causing panic disposal Coming out of the 50 with some under pressure handballing but I think the Swans matches them or closely matched
them with their own pressure to have a huge bearing weighing them down to succumb to less rotations on the bench from injuries.

Carlton should bite the bullet and give Dimma Hardwick what ever he wants to Coach Carlton next year

Surely they cannot waste the talent they have on the list with a reject coach
View attachment 1697342
images

Crazy Vossy is Back
Carlton can't keep sacking coaches that hasn't worked at some point they need to back someone in.
Hardwick would imo prefer Port's list over Carlton. but obviously it's up to Blues to try get in first & convince him.

Carlton made Nick Blakey look like Darcy Moore I mean please. A backline of Aaron Francis Lewis Mellican and Blakey and Curnow and McKay combine for 1 goal

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When has Acres had such an error ridden game. After a great season he was a liability out there. Not sure if to credit my Swans or Carlton having a mare.
Pretty classic Acres. He plays a few good ones and reverts to type. He racks it up because most oppo coaches don't mind him having the ball. They leave him free in the back half to receive knowing full well he'll just bomb a floater up the line. Even worse going inside 50. In an era when its almost mandatory to be able to kick the ball flat, fast and low Blake is one of the true pie floater survivors because he can run a wing all day and just often enough he does something that's useful to keep his place.
He had a purple patch for Freo last year but other than that he was mostly useless for 3 years.

Its interesting, people were queueing up to pot Freo for letting go - Acres, Lobb, Logue, Tucker, Meek which was fair given our start to the year but overall we're looking better without them and none of them are exactly setting the world on fire at their new clubs.

As for swapping Cerra for Amiss that is seriously good business. Especially given Mathew Johnson already looks a potentially more complete and damaging player.

Agreed how are they on every prime time slot this year? Meanwhile Collingwood the most entertaining team by far last year play the sunday graveyard slot each week wtf
It was this years narrative from the AFL, Carlton were going to play finals. Having the big Vic clubs in the finals is what the AFL lives for. I mean how much preseason hype was there from all quarters that this was going to be their year?
Some combination of Collingwood, Geelong, Richmond, Essendon and Carlton playing off from the top 4 with every final in Melbourne would be a perfect year for the old boys club that runs the joint.

Travis Cloke went through his career as a dubious kick for goal. Almost stuffed up the first 2010 GF missing easy shots.

Was so frustrating to watch. Will however enjoy watching McKay in the same mold for the better part of the next decade.

Travis Cloke went through his career as a dubious kick for goal. Almost stuffed up the first 2010 GF missing easy shots.

Was so frustrating to watch. Will however enjoy watching McKay in the same mold for the better part of the next decade.

At least with Cloke you were confident if he was 45-55m out on a weird angle. Mckay has no area of the ground where you think it's going in, I feel bad for him. He needs help

I must admit, I had never seen a player kick the ball into the man on the mark before until Curnow did it last night.

Carlton should bite the bullet and give Dimma Hardwick what ever he wants to Coach Carlton next year

Surely they cannot waste the talent they have on the list with a reject coach
View attachment 1697342
images

Crazy Vossy is Back
“Carlton” and “talent”? What talent? They are without doubt the most overrated team in the AFL. Charlie Curnow and McKay would be OK if they could kick properly, Weitering is a genuinely good footballer and Docherty tries his heart out out, but that’s about it. Sam Walsh gets plenty of the ball, but he doesn’t do much with it, Saad has one party trick (he can run fast) and Cripps would have to be the worst Brownlow Medal winner in over a decade. He is the poor man’s poor man’s Marcus Bontempelli. Provided zero on-field leadership last night. Look at the team sheet from last night and it becomes clear that Carlton have the longest tail end in the AFL, barring the bottom two or three sides.

Finally, junior team I coach in the YJFL play smarter football than Carlton. Sacking Vossie might give people a sugar hit when the next coach is announced, but that is all it will do. Carlton need a full clean out and list rebuild.

Last edited:
How is Stevic not seeing all these Carlton throws?

Bevo must be furious at the Stevic selection. The AFL storyline was the Blues in 23. This was the AFLs last throw at the stumps

Last edited:
“Carlton” and “talent”? What talent? They are without doubt the most overrated team in the AFL. Charlie Curnow and McKay would be OK if they could kick properly, Weitering is a genuinely good footballer and Docherty tries his heart out out, but that’s about it. Sam Walsh gets plenty of the ball, but he doesn’t do much with it, Saad has one party trick (he can run fast) and Cripps would have to be the worst Brownlow Medal winner in over a decade. He is the poor man’s poor man’s Marcus Bontempelli. Provided zero on-field leadership last night. Look at the team sheet from last night and it becomes clear that Carlton have the longest tail end in the AFL, barring the bottom two or three sides.

Finally, junior team I coach in the YJFL play smarter football than Carlton. Sacking Vossie might give people a sugar hit when the next coach is announced, but that is all it will do. Carlton need a full clean out and list rebuild.

Agree. SOS has been the real deal disaster for the Blues. Many of his trades brought in chronic C Graders on big salaries. It has been the North school of list management. The SOS performance in drafting has been little better.

The result is on any weekend Carlton run out with some quality A grade players but the majority are North standard.

It is easy to be blinded by the top names and the hype. At the start of the year I was lambasted for describing them as a mid table team and I did not see them making the 8. Looks like I was right. People are bonkers to criticise Voss. He is doing a fair job with a rubbish hand.

The big test for Voss clearing as many C graders as he can. He also needs to see what he can get for a couple of A graders. They should hit the draft big time.

Bringing up the 5 day break as part of the excuse is not a good sign from Weitering there. You are a relatively young list.
Yeah, 5 day break.
So they bring in a second ruckman and barely rotate their running stocks, send Kennedy back where he's terrible and put Docherty in the middle where he's average at best.

Voss is tanking without realizing he's tanking

Agree. SOS has been the real deal disaster for the Blues. Many of his trades brought in chronic C Graders on big salaries. It has been the North school of list management. The SOS performance in drafting has been little better.

The result is on any weekend Carlton run out with some quality A grade players but the majority are North standard.

It is easy to be blinded by the top names and the hype. At the start of the year I was lambasted for describing them as a mid table team and I did not see them making the 8. Looks like I was right. People are bonkers to criticise Voss. He is doing a fair job with a rubbish hand.

The big test for Voss clearing as many C graders as he can. He also needs to see what he can get for a couple of A graders. They should hit the draft big time.
Year 8 of a rebuild.
No point bringing in kids and developing them. They'll get impatient again and spend almost 1/3 of their cap on 4 flankers (Saad, Williams, McGovern and Martin).

Carlton still think it's the pre-decimal currency era where you can cheat and buy players from outside your zone.
It doesn't work like that anymore.

Back