Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 2 - Blues v Cats Thurs March 23rd 7:20pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't you hear the stat earlier that we hadn't beaten the reigning premiers in 15 years, also sets up the start of our year nicely to be undefeated after Geelong and Richmond we have 5 bottom 10 sides in a row now (GWS, north, Adelaide, st kilda, west coast)

Should be 6-1-0 and halfway home.

We beat them at GMHBA in 2020.

We beat them at GMHBA in 2020.

I think they mean we haven't beaten the current reigning premier in the season after they became premier ... in 15 years.

kreuze_missile , Kreuuuzeurns , Irish BlueBagger , Arr0w and Elmer_Judd , Carlton won a close game without using Ross Lyon ultra defensive tactics lol
Great win that was indeed. We won't get carried away though.

There's a long season ahead, but so far we got a decent draw against Richmond whilst not at our best, and now we beat the reigning premiers.

It's all good for now! Let's try and keep this unbeaten run going.

I don’t get the media writing off Geelong. Both Carlton & Collingwood will be in the mix for top 8. It’s actually a horrible draw for Geelong, both of them at the MCG, with the injuries & the shortened preseason off the flag. The media also forgot they started slow last year as well. Media reading way too much into the first 2 rounds. Geelong as still contenders

While true it is only round 2 they have been competing at the top since 2016 there is only so many times you can keep staying up there before you need a refresh of the list.

I think if Scott can get them up again it will truly be a incredible achievement even better than last season.

Two losses not an ideal way to start the season, but not a lot of sides would function the same upon missing four of the Premiership defence, being Stewart, Duncan, Kolo and J.Henry from the side. Add to the obvious Selwood-sized midfield hole and Hawkins underdone..although can't use that as an excuse as he's being selected. It's not quite the well-structured and seamless side of 2022.

However as an old Cats fan, it's not the end of the world. 1980 and 1992 were seasons Geelong turned a 0-2 start into a McLelland Trophy. Teams are up for it against Geelong early doors, and the top 8 unquestionably will have the Pies and Blues up there in 2023. Get a few players back, and 9 of the last 16 games at KP will help too. Blood nose and bruised but the Cats are not yet down and out.

Not sure I'd be that happy with that last quarter if I was a Blues fan. Got out ran by a team who got out ran by Collingwood last week.

Maybe we should be happy about our other quarters instead? The ones that set up our win.

He has been an absolute game changer the moment he signed for us.
I really worry to think where we'd be at if he remained at GWS.

He's an old school footballer. Brilliantly balanced and reads the play just about as good as anyone in the game.
That statement "He's an old school footballer. Brilliantly balanced and reads the play just about as good as anyone in the game." is spot on, also elite kicking on goal, if I was picking a team he would be the first selected, just great to watch. Scott Pendlebury is another of the same mould.

He has been an absolute game changer the moment he signed for us.
I really worry to think where we'd be at if he remained at GWS.

He's an old school footballer. Brilliantly balanced and reads the play just about as good as anyone in the game.
I just watched the highlights again...FMD...Charlie was great but Cameron was on another plane last night. Outrageously good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol probably drinking out of a premiership cup mate.

I reckon you’re a good chance for the March premiership :) Just gotta beat Port. Should be a good game.
You couldn’t be any more salty if you tried

While true it is only round 2 they have been competing at the top since 2016 there is only so many times you can keep staying up there before you need a refresh of the list.

I think if Scott can get them up again it will truly be a incredible achievement even better than last season.
significant rules changes from end season 2017- end season 2019, all the 'zone-ball' era rules, fell into Scott's lap though. His preferred game style based on controlling possession with bigger-than-average and older-than-average players came back into relevance as a result.

Always hard to predict though, where things would sit without the rule changes, he probably would have been given a chance/coerced to renew the list around 2019?

No Selwood, no Geelong. No Stewart, no Geelong. No Cameron no Geelong.

Two of those 3 are gone/missing...and the only reason we're staying in games, is because of the 3rd one. Danger is not a natural leader, and should not have the captaincy. Does not inspire on field, and does not turn games anymore.

Stewart is such a big loss, I just don't think any of us Geelong people realized how much until we saw most of last week and this week. So unorganized down back, and unable to hold back the tide when our midfield isn't working hard enough like it has been.

Well done Carlton. Without Jeremy Cameron tonight, we don't even get close. A lot of work for us to do, but at least it's still early. It's a long season, and we looked pretty shoddy the first 9-10 rounds last year as well.

One thing is for sure, our midfield needs a kick up the ass, because what they've dished up last week and tonight has not been good enough - and is way off Premiership standard.
Agree on most of that

Cameron was immense but wasn't enough

thought the blues looked pretty good.

ALOT of speed and curnow and harry are a solid fwdline. Going to be tough to beat this year.

Also good they got the lead and held it against a quality side.

Geelong looked bloody slow at times.

I don’t get the media writing off Geelong. Both Carlton & Collingwood will be in the mix for top 8. It’s actually a horrible draw for Geelong, both of them at the MCG, with the injuries & the shortened preseason off the flag. The media also forgot they started slow last year as well. Media reading way too much into the first 2 rounds. Geelong as still contenders
Media are utterly useless lol. Kingy and Cornes on SEN this morning musing about whether Carlton are locks for finals, you can't make this stuff up :tearsofjoy:

Umm ... because we have bottled our last 5 games. Because it's the reigning premier. Because we were exhausted too. Why is it that you think we weren't just celebrating a win, but thought we had won the flag? Why is it you make excuses for our opposition, but not for us?
Exactly

Pretty sour outlook when you get bagged for celebrating a win

Back