Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 2 - Blues v Cats Thurs March 23rd 7:20pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton had clean clearances and forward entries and transitioned well from the back half. Looking structurally well prepared behind the ball too.

A bit of fumbling and messy play from both sides in the first half, but I assumed that was pressure and nerves.

Geelong aren’t out of contention. They are missing a lot of players and their midfield has been rejigged from last year. I will be surprised if they are not flying by round 10.

Geelong will bounce back, they're too good not too.

The most obvious hole in their team though... is no more Selwood. Might seem odd to say, but a lot of people probably underestimate his total impact on the team.

Yeah that competitive element. Danger's a great player but he so far doesn't lead like Joel.

Massive boots to fill. First run at being captain, replacing a bloke that not only was captain for 11 years, but was the heart and soul of the Club. From a performance standpoint he's had two lukewarm outings. but he'll find his groove soon enough.

We were 2-2 or something to start last year. Not panic time yet especially with more than half the backline missing.

What I will say is that we aren’t playing with much swagger, we are playing like a team who is ‘trusting the process’ - there is a reason aside from the fact that he’s arguably the best player in the game that Cameron looked on another planet last night - he is playing like a premier player on the premier team: you can throw everything at us but I’m going to keep taking marks and kicking goals and there really isn’t a lot you can do about it. Needs more help of that sort from players like Danger.

Well done to Carlton, played with skill and composure and deserved the win.

Two losses not an ideal way to start the season, but not a lot of sides would function the same upon missing four of the Premiership defence, being Stewart, Duncan, Kolo and J.Henry from the side. Add to the obvious Selwood-sized midfield hole and Hawkins underdone..although can't use that as an excuse as he's being selected. It's not quite the well-structured and seamless side of 2022.

However as an old Cats fan, it's not the end of the world. 1980 and 1992 were seasons Geelong turned a 0-2 start into a McLelland Trophy. Teams are up for it against Geelong early doors, and the top 8 unquestionably will have the Pies and Blues up there in 2023. Get a few players back, and 9 of the last 16 games at KP will help too. Blood nose and bruised but the Cats are not yet down and out.

Hawkins looks underdone but he’s still kicked 3 and laid off 4 across the first two weeks so it’s a decent sign that - given Cameron’s form and Henry being decent enough so far, the forward line is still functional when we are winning enough ball to get it there.

clearly Jeremy got all of the marking skills and capabilities out of the McGoverns. Mitch couldn’t catch a cold. A shonky two weeks for the plonker.
Whatever the marking equivalent of the putting yips is what Mitch has and H has it in kicking for goal.

Form is temporary, they'll both sort it out and we'll be even better.

On last nights game Cameron should be skipper. Not so much for the goals but his getting back to help out in defence, blocking and doing everything that needed to be done.

Charlie got BOG but Cameron was my pick by some margin.

Not sure what the diagnosis was after that bump but he looked in an incredible amount of pain and still looked the most dangerous player on the field.

Charlie was outstanding btw and couldn’t have done much more but I don’t think any other player in the comp outside of Time Machine Buddy or Martin could have played the game Cameron did

Not sure what the diagnosis was after that bump but he looked in an incredible amount of pain and still looked the most dangerous player on the field.

Charlie was outstanding btw and couldn’t have done much more but I don’t think any other player in the comp outside of Time Machine Buddy or Martin could have played the game Cameron did
Yes, very courageous, hope he's ok.

I know there's a bit of a thing with voting that BOG usually goes to one of the victors but it will be interesting to see the coaches votes and, later this year, the Brownlow votes from this game. A travesty is Cameron doesn't get top from both.

Yes, very courageous, hope he's ok.

I know there's a bit of a thing with voting that BOG usually goes to one of the victors but it will be interesting to see the coaches votes and, later this year, the Brownlow votes from this game. A travesty is Cameron doesn't get top from both.

I’d have gone Cameron, Curnow, Saad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong not worried by two losses because they’ll get better and peak in September? Utter garbage… this club has had a decade of failure in September before last year whereby we not only lost but got spanked with some games being over 10 minutes into the 2nd quarter! What’s Scott’s win % in September compared to H & A? And he has said many times previously it’s important to bank early wins so you can rest players later on in the season and not play catch up. Towards the back end of the year. Utter arrogance coming from some expecting cats to be peaking in September! They’ll be playing marbles in September if they’re not careful!

Geelong not worried by two losses because they’ll get better and peak in September? Utter garbage… this club has had a decade of failure in September before last year whereby we not only lost but got spanked with some games being over 10 minutes into the 2nd quarter! What’s Scott’s win % in September compared to H & A? And he has said many times previously it’s important to bank early wins so you can rest players later on in the season and not play catch up. Towards the back end of the year. Utter arrogance coming from some expecting cats to be peaking in September! They’ll be playing marbles in September if they’re not careful!

Mate no one f***ing cares.

No I'll tell you what's arrogant, constantly expecting us to be in contention, without considering that other clubs might be getting better - and then throwing your toys out of the cot when we have a bad patch.

I think most other clubs bar Richmond and Hawthorn, would kill for the 'decade of failure' that we've had - including the one that beat us last night.

It's not perfect, but it's also quite insane how much you are revelling in us falling down after just winning the flag not 6 months ago. You call yourself a 'supporter'? Hate to see what you'd be like if you barracked for a Saints, North, GC etc.

Utterly ridiculous how you behave, so onto my ignore list you go. Enjoy your relentless pessimism - I hope it keeps you warm at night.

I just watched the highlights again...FMD...Charlie was great but Cameron was on another plane last night. Outrageously good.
a big loss for the Cats was heading their way without Cameron's efforts. geez he played a fantastic game - at both ends and under a fair bit of duress - there was a bit of body contact happening - that bump with Acres was awesome by both players!
Greater work-rate than I have seen him present. Even getting the bonus mark of a mark that I felt was out of bounds - so be it - when he had the shot on goal you just knew he was going to kick it. a real pro's game.

Back