Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 2 - Freo v North Sat March 25th 7:30pm AEDT/4:30pm WST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North by a goal or less

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • North by 7 - 20

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • North by a lot

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the wrong decision by the umpires for the following reasons;
  • decisions can be made after the siren.
  • the siren went after the ball had crossed the boundary line.
  • it was clearly out of bounds intentionally.

Anybody who tries to argue that the decision must be made before the siren is wrong because if a player is having a set shot at goal after the siren and the opposition infringes on the mark, then a 50m penalty will be given ... after the siren.

The law states;
10.5 END OF QUARTER
(a) The end of a quarter occurs when any field Umpire or emergency Umpire first
hears the siren sounded by the Timekeepers to signal the end of a quarter.
The field Umpire shall acknowledge the siren and bring play to an end by blowing
a whistle and holding both arms above their head.
(b) For the avoidance of doubt, if immediately before hearing the siren to end a
quarter, a field Umpire is of the opinion that a Player should be awarded a Free
Kick or a Mark, the field Umpire shall signal that play has come to an end and then
award the Free Kick or Mark to the Player. A Free Kick will not be awarded where
the football has been kicked and, after the field Umpire has heard the siren,
lands Out of Bounds On the Full.

EDIT: personally, Freo did not deserve to win on that performance, but games should be umpired according to the rules and umpires should be aware of those rules.
This is what im talking about. Straight out of the rule book. Love it

Wrong. The news dude says the decision was correct as per the rules, Brad Johnson thought it could have been deliberate.
I don't think you listened to what they said. They said the umpire thought the ball was out before the siren went so he hasn't got the call wrong, but the ball did seem to be out before the siren went, so it should have been a free on that basis. The news "dude" said the rules stated the umpire could have awarded the free if he heard the siren after it was out. Which we all know it was.

It's really no different to taking a mark half a second before the siren sounds. The umpire calls time but pays the mark because it happened - before the siren sounds. If the umpire was going to pay deliberate and the ball is out then the siren sounds - he should pay the free kick.

Everyone who knows the rules. And everyone on Fox footy that has watched the vision.

No one right now can categorically say with any ounce of legitimate certainty based on factual evidence whether it was the wrong or right call.
It certainly should not gloss over Freo players being absolutely lazy and complacent for about 95 % of actual game time nor should it overshadow the amazing and herculean efforts of LDU, Sheezel and the rest of the North kids and players.

Freo have to get over this bitter loss asap and regroup for the derby next week, cause on current exposed form, their noisy neighbours would be feeling confident of getting a win.

I don't think you listened to what they said. They said the umpire thought the ball was out before the siren went so he hasn't got the call wrong, but the ball did seem to be out before the siren went, so it should have been a free on that basis. The news "dude" said the rules stated the umpire could have awarded the free if he heard the siren after it was out. Which we all know it was.

It's really no different to taking a mark half a second before the siren sounds. The umpire calls time but pays the mark because it happened - before the siren sounds. If the umpire was going to pay deliberate and the ball is out then the siren sounds - he should pay the free kick.
I did listen thanks, and the clock was at zero before the ball bounced inplay, probably for a couple of seconds. Maybe what we see and hear on the coverage isn't what happens at the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol what crap. Yes he can’t “pay” it but he can make a decision, then pay it after the siren or the boundary umpire’s signal.

There’s so much stupid noise around things like this. Try actually thinking about it Tom, you goose, rather than concentrating on trying to have the most unique take on Twitter.

Anyway, after watching it a few times and reading, I reckon it’s a free kick to Freo, because the ball went over before the siren sounded. But anyway, it’s one play of a 120 minute game in which there were 39 different scores. So it didn’t truly decide the result any more than the rest of them.

It was the wrong decision by the umpires for the following reasons;
  • decisions can be made after the siren.
  • the siren went after the ball had crossed the boundary line.
  • it was clearly out of bounds intentionally.

Anybody who tries to argue that the decision must be made before the siren is wrong because if a player is having a set shot at goal after the siren and the opposition infringes on the mark, then a 50m penalty will be given ... after the siren.

The law states;
10.5 END OF QUARTER
(a) The end of a quarter occurs when any field Umpire or emergency Umpire first
hears the siren sounded by the Timekeepers to signal the end of a quarter.
The field Umpire shall acknowledge the siren and bring play to an end by blowing
a whistle and holding both arms above their head.
(b) For the avoidance of doubt, if immediately before hearing the siren to end a
quarter, a field Umpire is of the opinion that a Player should be awarded a Free
Kick or a Mark, the field Umpire shall signal that play has come to an end and then
award the Free Kick or Mark to the Player. A Free Kick will not be awarded where
the football has been kicked and, after the field Umpire has heard the siren,
lands Out of Bounds On the Full.

EDIT: personally, Freo did not deserve to win on that performance, but games should be umpired according to the rules and umpires should be aware of those rules.
Did you even read 10.5 (b)?

1679745764594-jpeg.1639758

But if you look over here, on the grassy knoll...

Even if the siren went before the ball went out (which it didn't), why shouldn't it be deliberate anyway? If a score counts in that fashion then deliberate should be on the cards as well. Maybe a rule that needs tweaking.
Because the siren has gone and the ball is still in play so the game has stopped with the ball still in play. It can't be deliberate oob if the never makes it oob.

Scoring is different but even it gets confusing. I saw a bush league GF where the score happened after the siren and the bounce, wasn't counted and it cost a side a GF. It was contraversial as. Then a week later the AFL GF ... exact same thing and the score counted. ball rolled over the line for a point. Didn't change the outcome but the score counted. The team in the local game I saw earlier got ripped off.

Oh I didn’t realise the umpires look at the tv clock when calling the end of the game, I always thought they waited for the siren.
Sorry my bad.

Perhaps that pic reflects when the umpires heard the siren in their ear-piece?

It was a close call for sure and could have gone either way. But we've been on the rough end of some disgraceful umpiring in Perth over the years that led to close losses. So, we were due to get a dodgy umpiring decision our way. (Mainly against WC. Sorry Freo).

Im not sure why its even a talking point for the following reasons

• Zurhaar was pinged for a deliberate on the far side, and minutes later Brayshaw replicated the kick to the camera side and it wasnt called. No freo player within 30 metres.
  • Walters ran past Amiss to take a delibrate free kick in the pocket, which wasnt picked up on.

Things happen in footy and the umpire called it to the best of his ability.

Move on. Best team won.

2-0.
I agree with this. The deliberate non-call no Brayshaw was a massive blunder.

I think a lot of people who are hearing the siren before the ball goes out are being fooled by looking at the clock on screen. Brains do funny things like that sometimes.

Siren goes before the ball crosses imo, pretty clearly too.
lol you mean 'after' in the last sentence I think? Otherwise, that's one confusing post lol

Back