Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 2 - Freo v North Sat March 25th 7:30pm AEDT/4:30pm WST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North by a goal or less

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • North by 7 - 20

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • North by a lot

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As a neutral it was a fantastic finish North were amazing in not conceding a point.

My personal view is they got it wrong with the non call at the end but certainly a debatable one.

What it did was rob us of another minute of pure footy drama. An unlikely result was a goal and Freo win but a draw or North win was well on the cards. North fans aside would have been great to have sat there watching the drama of a kick after the siren.

Still it was a great finish to watch as is

How bad was Dan Howe? He was very ordinary all night and then panics that last second when he was surrounded by teammates and all he had to do was handball it to the player ahead.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF
To be fair I did say “could” 🤪
…yeah that’s all I got. Congrats hotchilli you must be stoked with that

As a neutral it was a fantastic finish North were amazing in not conceding a point.

My personal view is they got it wrong with the non call at the end but certainly a debatable one.

What it did was rob us of another minute of pure footy drama. An unlikely result was a goal and Freo win but a draw or North win was well on the cards. North fans aside would have been great to have sat there watching the drama of a kick after the siren.

Still it was a great finish to watch as is
Very true, a bit like how we were robbed of the same thing in the Richmond v Sydney game last year. Incorrect decision made but the losing team just has to suck it up, bad luck dockers.

Not invested , just not a fan of bullshit arguments. Just be happy the decision went your way, even if it was the wrong decision. No need to try and justify it to yourselves.
I don't think it was the wrong decision. The umpires conversed and the field umpire said he blew his whistle for the end of the game before the boundary umpire signaled the ball went over the line. That, apparently, ends the game. If that's the rule, it was adjudicated properly by the umpires.

Also, looking at the timer, it looked to me the time was at 0.00 while the ball was still in the air. The siren didn't seem to go off at 0.00.

I just watched the replay on the afl site. That's where I got the info from. You see the boundary ump signalling before the siren goes. What's so hard to understand?
5 seconds??

The boundary and field umpires conversed and agreed the field umpire called time before the boundary signaled the ball was over.
That should be good enough for all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 seconds??

The boundary and field umpires conversed and agreed the field umpire called time before the boundary signaled the ball was over.
That should be good enough for all.
So, they conversed, doesn't change the fact that in the video the boundary umpire is clearly signalling before the siren.
Either means he was signalling early, or the signal was ignored

So, they conversed, doesn't change the fact that in the video the boundary umpire is clearly signalling before the siren.
Either means he was signalling early, or the signal was ignored
Wrong! To begin with, Howe kicked it with about 1 second to go. The clock is at 0.00 while the ball is still in the air, and then bounces and goes over the line. I'm not saying I can hear the actual siren, but you can't actually see the field umpire who was adjudicating in the footage. He then came running in from around CHF to converse with the boundary umpire.

You must be watching different AFL footage....

At the end of the day it’s easier for the umpire to not pay a decision in the last sec of a game when the decision is likely to change the result of the game. We saw the same thing in the Sydney v Richmond game last year and we saw it again last night.
You need courage to pay decisions like that and unfortunately the men in charge often don’t have it.

Wrong! To begin with, Howe kicked it with about 1 second to go. The clock is at 0.00 while the ball is still in the air, and then bounces and goes over the line. I'm not saying I can hear the actual siren, but you can't actually see the field umpire who was adjudicating in the footage. He then came running in from around CHF to converse with the boundary umpire.

You must be watching different AFL footage....
The umpires umpire to the siren. The players play to the whistle. The time on screen is not accurate. Normally they will remove it with 10 seconds to go on TV specifically because people like you whine when it doesn't go off instantly you complain.

As you said, you don't hear the siren, you looked at the clock - something neither the umpires or the players have access to

Lol poor form, North were the better team and deserved the win
I don't disagree that north were better, just pointing out the fact the umpires have ensured their win with incorrect calls 2 weeks in a row. The fix call was tongue in cheek

The umpires umpire to the siren. The players play to the whistle. The time on screen is not accurate. Normally they will remove it with 10 seconds to go on TV specifically because people like you whine when it doesn't go off instantly you complain.

As you said, you don't hear the siren, you looked at the clock - something neither the umpires or the players have access to

I don't disagree that north were better, just pointing out the fact the umpires have ensured their win with incorrect calls 2 weeks in a row. The fix call was tongue in cheek
And I said that you couldn't see the field umpire in the footage even though you claim he hadn't called time before the boundary umpire signaled it was out of bounds. Did you make that up?

Remember the field umpire and not the boundary umpire actually determines if the action is deliberate. Therefore, he would certainly know if he called time prior to the boundary umpire signaling the ball was out of bounds.

Use the reactions of the North players to judge when the siren went off

gif-26-03-2023-1-02-06-am-gif.1639910

Boundary umpire starts to signal the ball as out of bounds before a single North player hears the siren. It's already almost at the fence and siren hasn't been heard.

gif-26-03-2023-1-05-19-am-gif.1639911
But VinnieB says we can't tell. Everyone else is wrong.

Very disappointing that a big win by an underdog side is being overshadowed by nitpicky nonsense over the last 1 second of the final 1/4.

I was at the game, freo received the rub all night (11 more frees yet lost clearance and contested ball) not to mention the HOWLER to not pay the brayshaw deliberate in the final 2 mins.

To the gracious dockers fans, you're good. To the flogs having a sook over a technically, suffer in your jocks and tell your story walking

Good win kangas

Back