Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 3 - Saints v Bombers Sat April 1st 7:25pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
If tonight dosent spell the end of Heppel then Brad needs to pack his bags and leave

Brad understands that leadership like Hepp displayed on the 150th celebration night doesn’t grow on trees … he’s a club icon and still has plenty to offer 💪

908B02CD-6F1D-4702-8E29-328D14C146A1.jpeg

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
I had an argument with an Essendon mate who said the only reason Stringer is unfit is because of injuries. I had to disagree and say he is injury prone because he’s overweight and unfit.

The bloke clearly doesn’t care enough to be a top AFL footballer. Even if you are injured there’s no excuse for an elite athlete to get fat. He’s just lazy.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
3 in a row. Good setup for the season.
Rossy killing it. They seem to want to play for him...or maybe its to save their own necks/careers. Doesnt matter which.

If it was Brad Scott he'd already be heading to the board for a contract extension.

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Essendon supporters should be disappointed but proud and excited after last night. They did fight back well and certainly showed some good skills and ball movement at times and they certainly are looking better than last year. Alwyn Davey Junior is going to be unbelievable! Will be better than Eddie betts and Charlie Cameron combined. I’d had never been to a St Kilda v Essendon game before, the supporters were fantastic, passionate and loud, but also respectful.

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
The most crazy thing of all is that Mason Wood is probably leading the saints B n F at the moment!

No excuse for Essendon they played against a very depleted StKilda

i didn't make any excuses rofl

i said Essendon is a very an inexperienced side. There is a reason we were underdogs against the saints.

Losses like this will happen. just need to accept where we are.
View attachment 1646935
jeez so inexperienced

as they always have been

we have 5 players left in the VFL who can play

I'd say 7 for us based on the past, but not sure all 7 would play under Ross
Steele
King
Membrey
Billings
McKenzie
Coffield
Hayes
and maybe even Jones possibly although I don't want him

but still, 2 of our 2 KPF's have 4 games of experience and Cordy has been a backman all of his career and is helping Marshall Ruck and Owens has 10 games exp Higgins and Butler only players with experience

i say we are in experienced, and you literally post confirmation of it.

lol.

was that supposed to be a gotcha moment?

There is a reason the saints were market favourites.

Last edited:
Brad understands that leadership like Hepp displayed on the 150th celebration night doesn’t grow on trees … he’s a club icon and still has plenty to offer 💪

View attachment 1647140

Hepp is beyond cooked.

surely needs to be tapped on the shoulder.

Essendon supporters should be disappointed but proud and excited after last night. They did fight back well and certainly showed some good skills and ball movement at times and they certainly are looking better than last year. Alwyn Davey Junior is going to be unbelievable! Will be better than Eddie betts and Charlie Cameron combined. I’d had never been to a St Kilda v Essendon game before, the supporters were fantastic, passionate and loud, but also respectful.

i think we are on a good path but i also think a lot of us let the 2-0 start get to our heads. coming back from 34 points down is a good sign, just too mech went wrong to maintain it.

good post.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I had an argument with an Essendon mate who said the only reason Stringer is unfit is because of injuries. I had to disagree and say he is injury prone because he’s overweight and unfit.

The bloke clearly doesn’t care enough to be a top AFL footballer. Even if you are injured there’s no excuse for an elite athlete to get fat. He’s just lazy.
I don't understand sans a weight condition or metabolism issue, how a healthy young man training within a professional regime with top notch nutritional can be overweight? Even with injuries, diet can be controlled to control weight. The big issue with injuries is muscle joint atrophy and strength loss due to not using those body parts as much or at all.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good win Saints but hold your horses ..they started 8-3 last season ..won five of their first six. Long way to go
A big part of the reason we dropped off in the 2nd half of last year was that we lost some key personnel to injury (in particular Steele for several weeks, and also Howard, which left us very short down back). This year we’re already smashed with injury to very key personnel and yet we’re still winning.

It augurs very well for how we could go if we ever get remotely close to full strength, later in the year.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
There was nothing to be proud or excited about all i saw was the same farking mistakes being made that has plagued this club for years. Players turning it over,kicks going straight to a St Kilda player under no pressure etc

We started poor and finished poor Brad needs to flog them on the track this week and drop players like Laverde and Heppel

I'm not in the buisness of accepting honourable losses thats for losers.

Last edited:

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
A big part of the reason we dropped off in the 2nd half of last year was that we lost some key personnel to injury (in particular Steele for several weeks, and also Howard, which left us very short down back). This year we’re already smashed with injury to very key personnel and yet we’re still winning.

It augurs very well for how we could go if we ever get remotely close to full strength, later in the year.
What's the best 22 look like all fit?

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
What's the best 22 look like all fit?
It’s very hard to say now, as some guys have really stepped up. Eg Stocker would be hard to drop (9 intercepts, 88% DE, 0 turnovers last night), Caminiti and Owens would be dangerous on lesser opponents with King and Membrey taking the best defenders. Plus we haven’t seen how the injured crew outside of Steele will go under Ross.

So it’s largely guesswork. But if you take it that they’re all fit and in form, I’d have it as something like this:

B: Wilkie Howard Webster
HB: Sinclair Battle Wangmil
C: Wood Crouch Hill
HF: Higgins Membrey Gresham
F: Butler King Hayes
R: Marshall Steele Ross
I: (from) Jones Coffield Owens Clark Billings Windhager Mackenzie Stocker Paton Phillipou Caminiti Byrnes

Don’t envy anyone who had to narrow that bench down to 4. Any of that first 10 in particular would be very stiff to miss. Incredible amount of depth for running types. Hence how competitive we are despite so many current injuries.

Good win Saints but hold your horses ..they started 8-3 last season ..won five of their first six. Long way to go
All true.
But we’ve won these games seriously undermanned. Hopefully by mid-season we get most of the seniors back to take us into the second half.

Membrey, King, Steele alone (and sadly, now Wood and Webster) back will make a big difference.

The positive though has to be that we’ve blooded a few young players, as well as Stocker and we can see they’ve all got some great upside.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s not the wins it’s the style.

Yes. The wins in that period were often the result of one quarter bursts, with no real obvious gameplan.

This year there is a very clear gameplan on display, and workrate is just off the charts compared to the start of last season.

Back