Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 5 Gather Round - Crows v Blues Thurs April 13th 7:40pm AEST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 51 40.2%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 33 26.0%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 14 11.0%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 14 11.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Because your fans are making it sound like you have had a tough start to the year. You haven’t. I have the Crows making the 8 but it’s hard to judge a team with a one game sample of away form.
Two of the teams the Crows played were finalists last year, 4 were placed above the Crows last year. I think all 5 were favourites to win. It wasn't a hard draw but it wasn't an easy one.

This thread is only about Richmond if you want it to make it about Richmond. 😉

But tell us more about JyeDye's 'sure things'. 🤣
Nothing worse than a person who goes back through a thread to quote'n'gloat after a side has lost. Even worse when that person's team wasn't involved in the game.

As for JyeDye's sure things? If you actually read the thread, it was tongue in cheek and made after someone commented that Carlton supporters were going around claiming we were a sure thing for top 2.

As for last night's game? Meh.
We've been playing scrappy and winning ugly. Something had to give. Hopefully it kicks them into gear and makes them realise that they can't expect to win most weeks while playing average footy.
The response in the next few weeks is what's important, not our first loss 5 games into a 23 game season.

Did Pittonet get injured? I know he was subbed off really early, but not sure if it was an injury.
Head clash. Had a fair bit of blood streaming down his face. Thought it was just going to be a clean up and get him back out there, but there must have been some signs of concussion or something in the replay that the medical staff didn't like.

Head clash. Had a fair bit of blood streaming down his face. Thought it was just going to be a clean up and get him back out there, but there must have been some signs of concussion or something in the replay that the medical staff didn't like.
I thought I heard the commentators say it was an eye injury.

Two of the teams the Crows played were finalists last year, 4 were placed above the Crows last year. I think all 5 were favourites to win. It wasn't a hard draw but it wasn't an easy one.
Freo have been terrible, Richmond inconsistent. As I said I think you’ll make finals but sample of opponents and venues makes it hard to really gauge where you side is sitting.

Freo have been terrible, Richmond inconsistent. As I said I think you’ll make finals but sample of opponents and venues makes it hard to really gauge where you side is sitting.
I agree that with current knowledge the draw isn't as hard as it would have seemed at the beginning of the year. I think many thought Carlton would be top 4, Freo to remain competitive, Richmond with the recruits to be strong.

Next month is a tough one. Might lose them all. I don't think Crows fans are getting ahead of themselves. Ideally Crows will make the 8 but they might also not. I'm not sure why you posted this.
I reckon you have 1-2 realistically winnable games in the next 5, but confidence and belief can be a hell of a thing.
Get on a roll and it could easily be 3-4 out of 5. Can't see you winning all games against Pies, Cats and Saints, but Pies are vulnerable without a ruck. Cats look shaky and can't declare them back after one win. jury still out on just how good the Saints are. One of the biggest Jekyll and Hyde sides in recent years. Their season could flip in a month.

You were annoyingly great to watch, but also getting away with a lot of holding and illegal contact. Not sure if that's part of your playing style this year, but could come back to bite if the umps start to notice. Not blaming it for the loss and umps can only call what they see. You guys turned up with a fast and physical style and we looked like we either weren't ready for it, or just weren't up to returning fire.

I agree that with current knowledge the draw isn't as hard as it would have seemed at the beginning of the year. I think many thought Carlton would be top 4, Freo to remain competitive, Richmond with the recruits to be strong.
Carlton were unconvincing against North and GWS (the Richmond draw was a terrible game as well). Think the quality they have is good enough for finals but top 4 too much. Agree at the start of the season both them and Freo looked like top 4 contenders but in both cases early form suggests it’s unlikely. Particularly in Freo’s case.

I thought I heard the commentators say it was an eye injury.
Must have missed that. Probably just guess work by them. I know the footage of him sitting on the bench late in the game, he just had a fairly small band-aid/bandage on the cut, but appeared fine.
Hopefully we get him back next week, as TDK is NOT a #1 ruck yet and SOS chopping out has lost the edge it originally had.

Everyone we've beaten has been overrated - until we beat them lol. Not sure if that means we should be regarded higher or if the teams we are beating really aren't that good. Port, Freo now Carlton.
Certainly not critical of the Crows, they have a very good team, but an 8 goal win was always on the cards against the Blues who looked slower than a three-toed sloth across the middle.

This is purely opinion.
He wasn't getting a game in front of Darcy and Lobb. It's a fair assumption.
Lot's to do with Jackson, you wanted to free up cash and get more picks, you can Acres to that list
Nope. Lobb was on 800,000 and Mundy on 650,000. Jackson's contract wouldn't have touched the sides. By picks surely you don't mean the F3 we got for Acres? c'mon man.
Funny was rated top 6 wingman last year, and you could only offer 1 year
I think the club was pretty clear about this. He was offered what Freo thought he was worth. Freo were happy to facilitate a trade for him, even for a rubbish pick. I think that sums up what they felt about his worth.

Personally, I rate him higher, I would rather we kept him, but the club was of a different opinion. I can understand why. Acres shat himself in R1 which cost you the game. Was good in R2, was average in R3, Missed R4 and was garbage R5. That's a pretty good example of what you get with him. His good games are really valuable, but for every couple of good games, he'll miss one and stink up another.
All part of total list management
Correct.

The Crows have looked good. Everyone's so busy hating on Carlton that they can't even acknowledge how well the Crows played last night. I thought it would take another year but look set to cause a bit of damage this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks. He's a pretty important player for you guys. Thought he had a good game last week. Needed him out there last night. Adelaide seemed to be dominating in the air and he gives you a bit of extra height.

The Crows have looked good. Everyone's so busy hating on Carlton that they can't even acknowledge how well the Crows played last night. I thought it would take another year but look set to cause a bit of damage this year.
This is spot on. Crows played really well. They'll play finals if they keep this up.

He wasn't getting a game in front of Darcy and Lobb. It's a fair assumption.
But Lobb had made it clear he wanted out, why target Jackson when you could have kept Meek?
Nope. Lobb was on 800,000 and Mundy on 650,000. Jackson's contract wouldn't have touched the sides. By picks surely you don't mean the F3 we got for Acres? c'mon man.

I think the club was pretty clear about this. He was offered what Freo thought he was worth. Freo were happy to facilitate a trade for him, even for a rubbish pick. I think that sums up what they felt about his worth.

That doesn't justify losing him as well as other best 22 players
Acres shat himself in R1 which cost you the game.
Rubbish, you saying any player that spills a mark shat themselves?

Was good in R2, was average in R3, Missed R4 and was garbage R5
Wasn't alone and far from our worst

That's a pretty good example of what you get with him. His good games are really valuable, but for every couple of good games, he'll miss one and stink up another.
Amazing how he was talked up by your supporters, but now he is average

Acres is a role player, one your club couldn't afford to lose

But Lobb had made it clear he wanted out, why target Jackson when you could have kept Meek?

Rubbish, you saying any player that spills a mark shat themselves?

Wasn't alone and far from our worst

Acres is a role player, one your club couldn't afford to lose

Are you seriously trying to criticise Freo for letting Meek and Acres go? I couldn’t think of two more inconsequential footballers if I tried.

Maybe I'm biased because I grew up here and still live here but I think Adelaide has a lot to offer. Adelaide Oval is a stellar ground. Yeah we don't have that 'wow' factor that other cities in Australia might have but we have a lot of charm. Great restaurants, wineries, beaches, Adelaide Hills. :) Less traffic. I still view us like a 'big country town' whereas cities like Melbourne have grown WAY too much it's terrifying.
the parklands all round the cbd are mint places to get munted on a weekday

Jackson requested a trade to Freo. My guess is they rated Jackson higher than Meek. Fine if you don't - it's a forum. Each to their own.
I was responding to "you wanted to free up cash and get more picks". I don't think this plays out if you look at the other factors I mentioned in my reply.
That's not what I said, and I can't speak for other supporters. I clearly stated I'd prefer we kept him and rated him higher than most.

Can we stop clogging up this thread with talk about Freo's list decisions and get back to hanging s**t on Carlton?
Thank you.

Blues next 7 games:-

Stkilda (likely loss)
West Coast (likely win)
Brisbane (likely loss)
Bulldogs (likely loss)
Collingwood (likely loss)
Sydney (likely loss)
Melbourne (likely loss)

Could easily be on 4 and 7 + 1 draw. % Currently on 96% would be shot to the electrifying 80's.

Could they cope with the pressure of needing to win 8 or 9 of their last 11 to avoid missing finals? 🤣

Last edited:
I watched the early part of the game, that 1st quarter from the Crows was fantastic. Jason Dunstall mentioned that it reminded him of that 1st game in 1991 at Football Park when the Crows just smashed the Hawks. As a Hawks fan who was there, I had been thinking the same thing. Hard to play that well every week, but the signs are good for the Crows. After all the hype, I must say I was rather disappointed in the Blues.

Back