Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 6 - Pies v Bombers Tues April 25th 3:20pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 27.8%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It looked to me essendon just stopped winning the contested possessions and clearances. They had to put Jake stringer in centre bounces in the last qtr. They seemed to have so many bad handballs rather than just clearing the ball by foot to get it away from their goals.

It looked to me essendon just stopped winning the contested possessions and clearances. They had to put Jake stringer in centre bounces in the last qtr. They seemed to have so many bad handballs rather than just clearing the ball by foot to get it away from their goals.

It was all going well for them until Pendlebury got injured. Then Daicos entered the midfield, dominated it and won the whole game.

Dyson Heppell is surely the worst player in the entire AFL when the ball is in his hands. Been a loyal servant for sure but surely if Essendon are serious about taking the next step and pushing in September he doesn't play another game
Bin him it's time Brad

if you want Hep there for leadership then give him a role in the box bloke should not be playing any more senior games he can play in the VFL helping the youngsters

Seems to be getting the best out of the list and devloping a system that suits it. at least now you know what Essendon will bring rather this then the wasted years of Worsfold and Rutten
Mate.... I don't know how to break it to you. That was so predictable. We knew exactly what would happen.

I'm surprised this thread isn't full of semi gloating North posters saying "Wasted Years? Welcome to Brad Scottsville! Population .,.. not us!!!" (Maybe it is I dunno I haven't read it.)

Legitimate question - is there a coach who has given up more five goal leads at 3/4 time?

Couldn't stop the domination almost felt powerless the last qrt was just blur not even a team like Geelong would have been able to stop it.

Agreed. Lucky Daicos wasn’t in the midfield from the start then, hey? Spent a lot of time in defence so probably had plenty of energy left to give when the change happened.

Can’t help but think what if Pendlebury didn’t get injured. Probably would have been my ideal result where Essendon won and Langford most likely would have been the Anzac Day medallist. :(

Mate.... I don't know how to break it to you. That was so predictable. We knew exactly what would happen.

I'm surprised this thread isn't full of semi gloating North posters saying "Wasted Years? Welcome to Brad Scottsville! Population .,.. not us!!!" (Maybe it is I dunno I haven't read it.)

Legitimate question - is there a coach who has given up more five goal leads at 3/4 time?
Did you not watch Pies for the last 18 months? wasn't out of the relms that the Pies could comeback from 28 points and win. Pies did it many times last year coming from behind to win Essendon arnt the first and wont be the last to lose from 5 goals up against Pies.

How's Clarkson going he's probbly regreting the decsion to not coach Essendon

Last edited:
laverde injury messed our structures up
Setterfield went back, stringer moved up.

Shiel and Parish were super disappointing too. all game.

Sam Mitchell?

honestly, he strikes me as a different coach than the one he was at North.
i'm still happy with Scott over RTB and Clarkson. Feels the better fit

Did you not watch Pies for the last 18 months? wasn't out of the relms that the Pies could comeback from 28 points and win. Pies did it many times last year coming from behind to win Essendon arnt the first and wont be the last to lose from 5 goals up against Pies.

How's Clarkson going he's probbly regreting the decsion to not coach Essendon

I also watched Bard's entire coaching career up until a few months ago and yeah it was a perfect storm. The Pies finishing and fitness, which is the best in the comp, and his ability to coach the composure out of sides ... it was always gonna end that way.

Bin him it's time Brad

if you want Hep there for leadership then give him a role in the box bloke should not be playing any more senior games he can play in the VFL helping the youngsters
Would he even offer that much from a leadership point of view? I'm not deliberately trying to pot the bloke, but I can't recall seeing a slower, more uninspiring leader in the last decade. I think the entire football world has overrated him for a long time tbh

There was a passage in the third or fourth quarter today when he got the ball in front of where I was sitting about four times in the space of a few minutes, each time under minimal pressure, and coughed it up each time. The entire bay both Essendon and Collingwood supporters included were laughing. It was comical

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Mitchell?

honestly, he strikes me as a different coach than the one he was at North.
i'm still happy with Scott over RTB and Clarkson. Feels the better fit
you'd hope he learned something. Someone said on our board that he blamed this loss partly on 6-6-6. They must have been trolling cos that's what he did with us. Less than 6 months after he'd led a committee that recommended its implementation.

If he's learnt from his mistakes he'll be a very good coach tho cos while he had clear deficiencies he also had some very good strengths.

you'd hope he learned something. Someone said on our board that he blamed this loss partly on 6-6-6. They must have been trolling cos that's what he did with us. Less than 6 months after he'd led a committee that recommended its implementation.

If he's learnt from his mistakes he'll be a very good coach tho cos while he had clear deficiencies he also had some very good strengths.
yes they were, but that thread is a little obsessive, so i'd not put much stock in what's said there

he said that in the past before 6-6-6 we'd have flooded the game and choked it up, but you can't do that anymore in a response to a question about how he felt as collingwood came in waves in the 4th.

Essendon fans in the last quarter:

1682415237569-png.1670108
Is this scene from Torchwood?

yes they were, but that thread is a little obsessive, so i'd not put much stock in what's said there

he said that in the past before 6-6-6 we'd have flooded the game and choked it up, but you can't do that anymore in a response to a question about how he felt as collingwood came in waves in the 4th.
Well that's pretty much the same thing. Bloody hell, 6-6-6 was years ago.

Honestly can't believe he said that.

He always struggled with teams once they got a run on. WE could rarely stop them.

You guys always had the wood over us when we played you after 2016 cos he couldn't deal with outside run, or spread, especially late in the game if our players were fatigued. That was another thing he struggled with.

No idea how the Bombers didn't win that game.
For three quarters they were absolutely looked after by the umps, worse than anything I've seen (and I watch my team get frees galore at home).

Yet despite this huge advantage they were still too mentally weak to get the job done.

No idea how the Bombers didn't win that game.
For three quarters they were absolutely looked after by the umps, worse than anything I've seen (and I watch my team get frees galore at home).

Yet despite this huge advantage they were still too mentally weak to get the job done.
I didn't see it that way i thought the umpiring was decent for both teams the one that sticks out to me is Draper in the first qrt i though that one was soft.

Back