Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 6 - Pies v Bombers Tues April 25th 3:20pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 27.8%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Geelong is your best hope. Still haven't beaten anyone decent yet. Hard to tell if they have improved over the last 3 rounds but Essendon will be the first challenge they have faced in a while.
with laverde gone, zerk hampered with a leg, we dont really have matchups for hawkins and cameron, will be tough

We then have to fly from Adelaide to Brisbane in consective weeks to play Port and Brissy what a bloody joke
Apart from the first 2 games, its been a pretty tough start for a team that finished 15th. We have played stkilda ( 1st ) collingwood, melbourne, geelong this week then interstate against port and brisbane. Thats the best 5 teams by round 9 plus a very tricky interstate game.

Apart from the first 2 games, its been a pretty tough start for a team that finished 15th. We have played stkilda ( 1st ) collingwood, melbourne, geelong this week then interstate against port and brisbane. Thats the best 5 teams by round 9 plus a very tricky interstate game.

Oh my God the tears.

Waaaa waaaa we have to fly interstate two weeks on a row, such a travesty.

i do wonder why coaches dont make nick daicos accountable by playing a dangerous forward on him. he doesnt have many weaknesses but a glaring one is his poor defensive work. Averaging 1 tackle a game and 0 spoils this year is diabolical for a defender

Guelfi would have been a good match up we are missing him big time.

my thought was to play nick martin on him, great overhead and not someone you would want to leave alone. geulph would have been great to

you think Macrae is going to let the opposition dictate who plays on Daicos at half back? they'll all rotate until they get the match up they want.

you think Macrae is going to let the opposition dictate who plays on Daicos at half back? they'll all rotate until they get the match up they want.
that may work when you are playing a patchwork forwardline like ours yesterday, but against teams say like brisbane with you have to go with matchups and cant just rotate till your happy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't see it that way i thought the umpiring was decent for both teams the one that sticks out to me is Draper in the first qrt i though that one was soft.
You’re the definition of a one eyed Essendon supporter though. Of course you thought the umpiring was ok.

i do wonder why coaches dont make nick daicos accountable by playing a dangerous forward on him. he doesnt have many weaknesses but a glaring one is his poor defensive work. Averaging 1 tackle a game and 0 spoils this year is diabolical for a defender
Our defensive unit works around Nick attacking and players dropping back to compensate for it. It’s easy to say make him defensively accountable, but doing it is a near impossible task with the way our structures are set up.

Our defensive unit works around Nick attacking and players dropping back to compensate for it. It’s easy to say make him defensively accountable, but doing it is a near impossible task with the way our structures are set up.
fair, didnt realise this. if essendon hadnt come out so defensively in the last this would be a moot point anyway. the whole world knew collingwood would throw everything at us in the last except for the bombers who appeared quite comfortable with their 5 goal lead

that may work when you are playing a patchwork forwardline like ours yesterday, but against teams say like brisbane with you have to go with matchups and cant just rotate till your happy

this isn't 1985. he'll roll across match ups, through midfield and wing. Unless you want 1 guy to sit on him and it wont work.

fair, didnt realise this. if essendon hadnt come out so defensively in the last this would be a moot point anyway. the whole world knew collingwood would throw everything at us in the last except for the bombers who appeared quite comfortable with their 5 goal lead
To be fair, I think even Essendon knew the Pies would come. Scott pretty much said that himself on 360.

It’s one thing to know Collingwood is coming at you in a final quarter, it’s another thing being able to stop it. Heck even a primed Swans in last year’s PF almost didn’t stop it if we had another 30 seconds of play.

Just curious, but how would you have drawn up the fixture to make it more 'equitable', taking into account the fact you finished 15th last year, meaning there are only 3 teams you can play who finished below you in 2022?

Play North, West Coast and GWS in your first 3, who finished 18th, 17th and 16th respectively, followed by Hawthorn (13th), Gold Coast (12th) and St Kilda (10th), with Anzac Day thrown in because you can't change that date?

So far you've played one game outside Victoria against Melbourne at a neutral venue and an Anzac Day game, which you play every year. The remaining fixtures have been against sides that finished 13th, 12th, 10th and 16th last season, all in Victoria. Your next 3 fixtures are against teams who finished 1st, 11th and 6th last season.

To be fair, I think even Essendon knew the Pies would come. Scott pretty much said that himself on 360.

It’s one thing to know Collingwood is coming at you in a final quarter, it’s another thing being able to stop it. Heck even a primed Swans in last year’s PF almost didn’t stop it if we had another 30 seconds of play.
you would think so, but our pressure rating in the last quarter was the lowest for the four quarters, collingwoods was its highest. laverde going down forced some unwanted changes so our structure was out. Even so you have to have a bit of luck to come back from 5 goals down, last year jones misses a sitter, this year everything that could go wrong in the last did, including the one basic pressure metric, this can only be from either fatigue or relaxing thinking the game was won.

Just curious, but how would you have drawn up the fixture to make it more 'equitable', taking into account the fact you finished 15th last year, meaning there are only 3 teams you can play who finished below you in 2022?

Play North, West Coast and GWS in your first 3, who finished 18th, 17th and 16th respectively, followed by Hawthorn (13th), Gold Coast (12th) and St Kilda (10th), with Anzac Day thrown in because you can't change that date?

So far you've played one game outside Victoria against Melbourne at a neutral venue and an Anzac Day game, which you play every year. The remaining fixtures have been against sides that finished 13th, 12th, 10th and 16th last season, all in Victoria. Your next 3 fixtures are against teams who finished 1st, 11th and 6th last season.
the draw would be a nightmare to work out. its just rough that its worked out we play the best 5 teams in the first 9 rounds. the other 4 games have been against sides around us, no problems with that. i havent looked but assume our draw becomes easier after that

The biggest factor with equality of the draw I think is the teams you're required to double-up against.

Presumably, finishing 15th will mean you won't double-up against as many teams who finished in the top 6 due to the AFL's 6-6-6 fixture. This though is always subject to the AFL's whims and desires, as well as its commercial wants (same goes for where and when you play).

Stats say we have the easiest fixture of all teams lols what rubbish

How do we have the easiest fixture when in the first 9 rounds we baiscly play majoirty of last years top 8 with two games in consecutive weeks playing interstate
We have the easiest fixture as we dont have to play Collingwood at all. ;)

Back