Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 7 - Bombers v Cats Sun April 30th 1:10pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Tomahawk and Essendon, we are his
Hop Hop Hop Easter GIF by moonbug

Was at the game, Bombers were alright actually, just gave us the ball back regularly and we punished them when they did.

Hawkins showed what happens if you put the wrong player on him.

Stringer the Dons best, Weideman flattered by his goal tally.

Thanks to the Hawks for playing us back into form.
Im actually surprised we were allowed to play on the same ground as you guys .
What a huge achievement for your club. Forget flags or back to back even threepeats, into the 8 in only 20 days . Incredible stuff .

Hopefully us lowly clubs will get there at some stage

I'm amazed that a player who has kicked 750+ goals as a key forward has never kicked more than 7 in a game until now.
It's the 'for better or worse' part of Hawkins' game where he's unselfish to a fault, which was a bigger issue around the mid 2010s when if he had a set shot 45-55m out, he'd always look for a Cory Gregson, Shane Kersten type to 'bring them into the game'. What he apparently failed to realise was nothing would get the side going back then quite like Tommy kicking 2-3 early goals.

Now he's second fiddle and his unselfishness is an amazing weapon. It was demonstrated late in the third quarter when he had the ball in the pocket with seven goals already to his name and he failed to handball off to a teammate in the clear on the boundary. I'd bet he got a bit hungry there, he passes that off 99 times out of 100. And he knew it straight away: extended hand up "I stuffed up there, my mistake".

Beyond that, he's just wired a bit differently to other key forwards. I'm amazed he's even won a Coleman, I was convinced for a long time that he never would. I reckon he's been in the mix 3-4 other times and most people would be pencilling him in for a lazy 6-8 against some easy Round 22 kill at Kardinia and he'd just never cash in on those opportunities, almost like he was trying to show the team that the Coleman meant nothing to him. I don't really think that's what was going on, but if you look back at AFL tables, I think it will back me up. I've always thought that Tom's perfect game would be if the entire team kicked a goal each and there were plenty of team hugs to go around.

Was at the game, Bombers were alright actually, just gave us the ball back regularly and we punished them when they did.

we really had no options.
Says a lot that Laverde hurting his shoulder cost us 4pts last week + any hope today.....not that i think we'd have won. Tomahawk loves feasting on our defenders.

It's the 'for better or worse' part of Hawkins' game where he's unselfish to a fault, which was a bigger issue around the mid 2010s when if he had a set shot 45-55m out, he'd always look for a Cory Gregson, Shane Kersten type to 'bring them into the game'. What he apparently failed to realise was nothing would get the side going back then quite like Tommy kicking 2-3 early goals.

Now he's second fiddle and his unselfishness is an amazing weapon. It was demonstrated late in the third quarter when he had the ball in the pocket with seven goals already to his name and he failed to handball off to a teammate in the clear on the boundary. I'd bet he got a bit hungry there, he passes that off 99 times out of 100. And he knew it straight away: extended hand up "I stuffed up there, my mistake".

Beyond that, he's just wired a bit differently to other key forwards. I'm amazed he's even won a Coleman, I was convinced for a long time that he never would. I reckon he's been in the mix 3-4 other times and most people would be pencilling him in for a lazy 6-8 against some easy Round 22 kill at Kardinia and he'd just never cash in on those opportunities, almost like he was trying to show the team that the Coleman meant nothing to him. I don't really think that's what was going on, but if you look back at AFL tables, I think it will back me up. I've always thought that Tom's perfect game would be if the entire team kicked a goal each and there were plenty of team hugs to go around.

Valid points all. In the same way that he probably didn’t realise what his size and skill set made him capable of being (I don’t think he truly realised how good he was for a long time) I think you’re right in that he didn’t realise what sort of effect he has on his teammates when he’s up and about. When he clunks a couple of contested marks or swats away an opponent like a mosquito it would ripple through the whole team: ‘big boy is on today, let’s get it to him.’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same thoughts

Without sounding patronising, Essendon played some good football after qtr time particularly in the 3rd
They a better team than when Geel beat them r1 last year

Same thoughts

Without sounding patronising, Essendon played some good football after qtr time particularly in the 3rd
They a better team than when Geel beat them r1 last year
Not sold on their imitation Richmond handball forward of the contest to 3 runners frontrunning gameplan. Will beat plenty of lesser sides, but not sure theyve got the cattle to win finals with it.

Of course not, just saying everyone in the media has had excuses when Geelong has had good quarters/half’s/games….

You are correct I agree, short turn around sucks and is a factor

geelong are the reigning premiers. We all know they will come good.

why are you lowering yourself to believe or buy into what the media thinks rofl.

Back