Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 8 - Pies v Swans Sun May 7th 3:20pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking the exact same thing today. Having a look over the weekends results, and aside from I think Freo smacking the Hawks, and the Tigers against a WAFL light Weagles, the games were pretty average spectacles. (the Tigers game was anyway). All games were fairly dour and low scoring anyway. Todays game of Pies v Swans was 45-40 at 3/4 time. These guys both finished top 4 last year, and the Pies are currently topping the ladder without a forward line.

But hey, the state of the game has never been better. It's so exciting isn't it?

Absolute Rubbish!

The strange thing is we have a few players on track to kick more goals in a season for quite a few years, but overall scoring is similar. It is currently slightly above previous years, but that should drop as winter football sets in and teams score less than early in the year. The AFL did a whole lot of changes for nothing in particular.

I wish the AFL would leave it alone, and allow tactics to evolve organically. I can't remember a period of years where there has been more rule changes than the last 10 or so years.
All these rule changes are like Albo’s introduction of the voice: not well thought out and more about the person introducing the change rather than the intended effect

We made a grand final last year and have been in the mix for years, and we have the most promising young core in the AFL so will be in the mix for another decade 😏. But yeah, it set us back pretty far!

There’s still time to delete your post, because that was a shocker.
What do you mean? You don’t count gf losses. If you did Collingwood would be well ahead.

If Sydney spent the Buddy money on 3 budding midfield superstars they would be like Brisbane in 2001-2004: ahead of the game as the youngest child with extra candy from mommy and daddy.

But you got no flag from Buddy.

Most sides have promising young cores - that’s the way the afl system works: play s**t and get good players.

The Sydney exception of COLA was a magical freebie to hoist yourselves above other sides like Brisbane did. But alas, all the $$$ went to Buddy and his cars and houses. No flags

What do you mean? You don’t count gf losses. If you did Collingwood would be well ahead.

If Sydney spent the Buddy money on 3 budding midfield superstars they would be like Brisbane in 2001-2004: ahead of the game as the youngest child with extra candy from mommy and daddy.

But you got no flag from Buddy.

Most sides have promising young cores - that’s the way the afl system works: play s**t and get good players.

The Sydney exception of COLA was a magical freebie to hoist yourselves above other sides like Brisbane did. But alas, all the $$$ went to Buddy and his cars and houses. No flags
Such a bad piece of business, getting arguably the greatest forward to ever touch a football to your club, getting rorted for a flag in 2016, and being outplayed in the other two which is just the way it goes. Bringing him in still got us to 3 grand finals. But anyway, that wasn’t what your post inferred. You said we’ve “hamstringed ourselves from winning a flag for 20+ years” when we’ve got the brightest young core in the AFL, even with Buddy Franklin still on our list.

Last edited:

Such a bad piece of business, getting arguably the greatest forward to ever touch a football to your club, getting rorted for a flag in 2016, and being outplayed in the other two which is just the way it goes. Bringing him in still got us to 3 grand finals. When was Collingwoods last flag even with all the advantages and leg ups they get? Can’t even win a GF at your home ground in 3 tries this millennium . But anyway, that wasn’t what your post inferred. You said we’ve “hamstringed ourselves from winning a flag for 20+ years” when we’ve got the brightest young core in the AFL, even with Buddy Franklin still on our list.
10 years so far no flags.

Probably fair to say your core is nowhere near the brightest otherwise you wouldn’t be 11th - Buddy “pushed” Sydney to grand finals but never won one.

Being that high up without high draft picks for so long puts Sydney in a terrible position moving forward for the next 5-10years.

10 + 10 = 20

I suspect your attitude is also why Sydney will not win a flag for another 10+ years - if you don’t admit your failures and keep finishing 4-12 you won’t properly rebuild.

You clearly overrate your list.

And I am not taking about Collingwood because we will probably make another gf and lose this year - on the back of their own shitty list management decisions which are many.

Probably fair to say your core is nowhere near the brightest otherwise you wouldn’t be 11th - Buddy “pushed” Sydney to grand finals but never won one.

Being that high up without high draft picks for so long puts Sydney in a terrible position moving forward for the next 5-10years.

10 + 10 = 20

I suspect your attitude is also why Sydney will not win a flag for another 10+ years - if you don’t admit your failures and keep finishing 4-12 you won’t properly rebuild.

And I am not taking about Collingwood because we will probably make another gf and lose this year - on the back of their own shitty list management decisions which are many.
TBH injuries to key position stock have derailed our season, being 11th isn’t an indication of where our list is at and certainly doesn’t take away from our young talent. I don’t think the club is too worried about the next decade, nor do I overrate our list, the same list that got us to a GF last year. Although if paddy mccartin never plays again then that’s a hard replacement.

Last edited:

10 + 10 = 20

I take it you have no mirrors in your hovel ?

Holy s**t. All the Collingwood supporters complaining that Ginnivan didn't get a free when he dropped the shoulder and lent in to the tackle, yet trying to call a free where a swinging arm makes contact to Papley's head is not despite the fact he was already at ground level with the ball. It's just comical.
Did I mention Ginnivan?

Why are sydney supporters blaming injuries. Look at the injury lists and you will see collingwood had 3 more injured players than sydneys total injury list.

Don’t think Swans supporters can question effort yesterday - kicking was poor, and a lot of fumbling (Pressure was certainly there, both sides brought it - maybe skill level in some cases)

Back line looks disorganized…not surprising.

Part time fwds missed sitters, and full time fwds couldn’t take a mark.

Pies got off the leash right at the 3nd when Swannies threw everything into getting a goal.

Certainly didn’t see the Pies cruising….only a TOOL would think they would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange that clubs and supporters these days don’t take ownership of losing games and look for the nearest point of blame, definitely the world we live these days - wasn’t my fault!
Strange how its usually Giants supporters on here b1tching and whining about Sydney’s problems….kinda like the kid brother grabbing mummy and whining that his older brother is tougher and faster.

There there petal, I’m sure Swannies are listening to you….😆😆🤦‍♂️

Strange how its usually Giants supporters on here b1tching and whining about Sydney’s problems….kinda like the kid brother grabbing mummy and whining that his older brother is tougher and faster.

There there petal, I’m sure Swannies are listening to you….😆😆🤦‍♂️
Strange reply.
I'm seeing many Swans supporters making excuses in here, but here you are saying it's GWS supporters who are whining, kinda proves the posters point don't you think?

Why are sydney supporters blaming injuries. Look at the injury lists and you will see collingwood had 3 more injured players than sydneys total injury list.
I haven’t seen them blaming injuries. Those that are should learn a bit about football. The swans have one major problem that is going to be hard to overcome in 2023- they are actually just not that good. A lot fell into place for them in 2022 but they were badly exposed when it counted. They have issues up forward where Logan McDonald is not coming on as hoped and heeney has dropped off a cliff, they have issues in the key defensive posts where the McCartin boys battle hard but are hardly in the top echelon of key defenders. They don’t have a quality ruckman. And their midfield is very one paced. Warner is not up to it against quality opposition now he’s copping more heat, Parker is an aging warhorse, gulden is very promising but can’t kick on his right side which is a big limitation keeping him from one day reaching the truly elite bracket. And there has to be questions around their coaching, been in the seat a long time and looks like they are heading for a mini rebuild end of 23. Attempted deflection yesterday was embarrassing - poor buddy copped a few boos did he? Did horse also speak out about the Sydney crowd that booed ginnivan all day including as he went off injured in rnd 22 last year? Give us a break

Strange reply.
I'm seeing many Swans supporters making excuses in here, but here you are saying it's GWS supporters who are whining, kinda proves the posters point don't you think?
Nope, proves zero. - Your logic is most peculiar.

Are you saying identifying moaning, whining BF members boitching about another team is the same as blaming injuries? Okaaaay…..🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Nope - Your logic is most peculiar.

Are you saying identifying moaning, whining BF members boitching about another team is the same as blaming injuries? Okaaaay…..🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
It's the main board, if it triggers you, maybe go hide in your club board.

Anyone can have an opinion on this board and going from what I have seen you have a lot of sooking supporters, now here you are sooking because a GWS supporter also thinks the same.

I haven’t seen them blaming injuries. Those that are should learn a bit about football. The swans have one major problem that is going to be hard to overcome in 2023- they are actually just not that good. A lot fell into place for them in 2022 but they were badly exposed when it counted. They have issues up forward where Logan McDonald is not coming on as hoped and heeney has dropped off a cliff, they have issues in the key defensive posts where the McCartin boys battle hard but are hardly in the top echelon of key defenders. They don’t have a quality ruckman. And their midfield is very one paced. Warner is not up to it against quality opposition now he’s copping more heat, Parker is an aging warhorse, gulden is very promising but can’t kick on his right side which is a big limitation keeping him from one day reaching the truly elite bracket. And there has to be questions around their coaching, been in the seat a long time and looks like they are heading for a mini rebuild end of 23. Attempted deflection yesterday was embarrassing - poor buddy copped a few boos did he? Did horse also speak out about the Sydney crowd that booed ginnivan all day including as he went off injured in rnd 22 last year? Give us a break

Id argue when you lose your backline general, AND your CHB, AND your Ruckman…..you have reason to believe it might hurt the sides chances.

I remember a few years back, Pendles was injured and Pies fans wanted the season halted!😆😆

It's the main board, if it triggers you, maybe go hide in your club board.

Anyone can have an opinion on this board and going from what I have seen you have a lot of sooking supporters, now here you are sooking because a GWS supporter also thinks the same.
Ah now I get it…because its a BF board, its okay to act like a pig ignorant churlish brat….who thinks talking injuries = bagging other supporters.

Well, that explains you then. 😆

I would say I don’t completely disagree with you - but its amazing how good average players become when you get your hands on the ball more often.

I think we’re seriously missing Hickey. I also agreeFrNklin, Heeney and Warner have form issues - I think your knock on Warner is premature.

McDonald is still young, and retaining Buddy is hurting him.

Heywood is another who’s lost his 2022 form.

So the club has issues, injury, list and form.

Haha, yeah right, you sook then sook when someone calls you out, that's the definition of childish.

Remember what you said to the GWS poster?

Maybe you are the little brother here, sook.

You haven’t called me out though - you’ve made an idiotic remark about discussing injuries as ‘sooking’…which simply shows you’re not very clever.

But we knew that..

You haven’t called me out though - you’ve made an idiotic remark about discussing injuries as ‘sooking’…which simply shows you’re not very clever.

But we knew that..
You attacked another poster because of the team they support, even though they were correct, that is why I called you out, because many Swans supporters on here have been sooking.

And since then you have sooked it up more, can't handle the truth.

Back