Remove this Banner Ad

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Or 25?

Looking long-term, I'll have a go at 24. I think with a Conference System this can work pretty well actually - and a shortened pre-season, perhaps 2 weeks of practise games.

So, we'll start at AFL 2025 (20 Teams)

AFL West (5 Teams; 3 WA & 2 SA)
Adelaide Crows
Fremantle Dockers
Perth Pirates (NEW)
Port Adelaide Power
West Coast Eagles

AFL North (5 Teams; 3 NSW & 2 QLD)
Brisbane Lions
Castle Coast Cougars (NEW) (Based in Newcastle, representing Newcastle/ Central Coast)
Gold Coast Suns
Greater Western Sydney Giants
Sydney Swans

AFL South (5 Teams; 4 VIC & 1 TAS)
Geelong Cats
Hawthorn Hawks
Melbourne Demons
St. Kilda Saints
Tasmanian Kangaroos (Yes, I know, Can't help it - Can't see it happening any other way frankly. Swap in another team if you prefer it that way - even mine, although you'd have to say we're more likely to go to New Zealand now)

AFL Central (5 Teams; 5 VIC)
Carlton Blues
Collingwood Magpies
Essendon Bombers
Richmond Tigers
Western Bulldogs

Ok, so I've mentioned that configuration. But what happens after that?

I think 24 Teams can work pretty well and create intense rivalries. Remember folks - I AM TALKING ABOUT 2050 HERE!!! (How many new clubs have there been in the last 37 years? Yep - 6)

(Names are not important - give the Conferences names of Great Players if that works better)

AFL West (4 Teams, 4 WA)
Fremantle Dockers
Mandurah Marauders (NEW)
Perth Pirates (2025)
West Coast Eagles

AFL North (4 Teams, 3 QLD, 1 NT)
Brisbane Lions
Gold Coast Suns
Northern Territory Thunder (NEW)
North Queensland Nightstalkers (NEW)

AFL East (4 Teams, 3 NSW, 1 ACT)
Canberra Capitals (NEW)
Castle Coast Cougars (2025)
Greater Western Sydney Giants
Sydney Swans

AFL Central (4 VIC)*
Carlton Blues
Hawthorn Hawks
Melbourne Demons
Richmond Tigers

AFL Heartland (2 VIC, 2 SA)*
Adelaide Crows
Collingwood Magpies
Port Adelaide Power
St. Kilda Saints

AFL South (3 VIC, 1 TAS)*
Essendon Bombers
Geelong Cats
Tasmanian Kangaroos
Western Bulldogs

IMPORTANT
*All 10 Victorian/ Tasmanian clubs will rotate through - over a 5 year period - the AFL Heartland Conference meaning they must play in a Conference with the 2 South Australian teams during a given 5 year period. The Other Victorian/ Tasmanian Conferences will be determined strictly based on ladder position at the end of each year.

DRAW/ FIXTURE
Play each team in your Conference twice (Home & Away) - 6 Games
Play every other team once (Home or Away) - 20 Games
TOTAL - 26 Games (13 Home & 13 Away). (This increased number of games for instance allows a relocated club - hello Tasmanian Kangaroos - to still be mandated to play a substantial number of games in Victoria - this can be arranged).

You can add 2 Byes in there for a 26 Round Season spread across 28 weeks.

So. Finals. Well, I am happy with keeping the Final 8 which would be Top 6 Conference Winners and Next 2 best performed sides. So, theoretically, you could have the Top 3 teams in a Conference making the Finals.

Finalists would be ranked on an Overall Ladder to determine seeding and matches.

Or, you could go more down the established system in succesful professional sports and go for the 6 Conference Winners and 4 Wildcards (4 Next best records) - playing off for the chance to make the finals. So, theoretically, you could have every team in a Conference at least make the Wildcard Playoff.

That would mean a 5 Week Finals system. So 33 weeks all up, plus whatever pre-season/ practise games you want.

I think it works really well actually and provides a workable long-term blueprint for the AFL to work to. Also - it keeps 12 clubs in SA/VIC/TAS. Including at least 9 in Victoria to keep the 3 "Southern" Conferences evenly balanced.

If you were looking to add a New Zealand team, it would logically go in one of the Southern Conferences for instance, and you can apply the same logic elsewhere around Australia.

Then - if you go to 25..... 5 Conferences of 5 Teams. Every other team in your Conference twice (4x2=8 games) plus every other team Once (20) = 20+8=28 Games over a 30 week season.... But that discussion is for another day.

Just imagine, if we had a 24 Team AFL in 2050 - you'd have to make one pretty certain conclusion. The game of Australian Football as represented by the AFL is STRONG! STRONGER THAN ITS EVER BEEN!!

24 team comp:

- 10 teams representing the state of VIC.
- 2 each representing the states of: NSW, NTH QLD, QLD, SA, TAS and WA.
- 1 each representing the territories: CAN and NT.

- 23 week competition. (everyone plays each other once)
- Top 12 and Bottom 12.
- Rotating fixture each year, Cairns vs. Melbounre at MCG in 2050 and at Cazaly in 2051.

24 team comp:

- 10 teams representing the state of VIC.
- 2 each representing the states of: NSW, NTH QLD, QLD, SA, TAS and WA.
- 1 each representing the territories: CAN and NT.

- 23 week competition. (everyone plays each other once)
- Top 12 and Bottom 12.
- Rotating fixture each year, Cairns vs. Melbounre at MCG in 2050 and at Cazaly in 2051.

2 teams in North Queensland? Nah. 2 teams in Tasmania? Nah. Neither of those things are ever going to happen. You'd need at least 28 or 32 teams for that possibility!

Way too many teams. I can see you have put a lot of effort into this and it is quite good, i just don't like the concept at all. I understand this is 37 years away, and things change and Australia's population is going to rise, but i really don't like the idea.

The only conference system i like is the system whereby we have 3 conferences of 6. You play each team in your (randomly chosen) conference twice and the rest of the other teams once. There remains one ladder, the current final 8 system and only the 18 teams.

I would love to see a tassie team in the AFL, and i realise its not the most loved idea, but i believe a victorian team, be it North, Hawthorn or any other team, should be relocated there

Way too many teams. I can see you have put a lot of effort into this and it is quite good, i just don't like the concept at all. I understand this is 37 years away, and things change and Australia's population is going to rise, but i really don't like the idea.

The only conference system i like is the system whereby we have 3 conferences of 6. You play each team in your (randomly chosen) conference twice and the rest of the other teams once. There remains one ladder, the current final 8 system and only the 18 teams.

I would love to see a tassie team in the AFL, and i realise its not the most loved idea, but i believe a victorian team, be it North, Hawthorn or any other team, should be relocated there

No relocation teams. They should either sink or swim in their own community. Its bad enough having the Hawthorn & North carpetbaggers coming down here. No more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Population of Australia in 2050 will be about 50 million...keep that in mind.

Western Conference
SA - Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Norwood
WA - West Coast, Fremantle, Mandurah
VIC - Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Geelong, Richmond, St Kilda, North Melbourne, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn
TAS - Tasmania

Eastern Conference
QLD - Brisbane, Gold Coast, Cairns
NSW - Sydney, Western Sydney, Newcastle
NZ - Auckland, Wellington
NT - Northern Territory
ACT - Canberra
FIJI - Suva
PNG - Port Moresby

Last edited:

Western Conference
VIC - Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Geelong, Richmond, St Kilda, North Melbourne, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn
TAS - Tasmania

Eastern Conference
NT - Northern Territory
ACT - Canberra
FIJI - Suva
PNG - Port Moresby

Australian Population projections for 2050 are between 30.9 & 42 million depending on the data used. ie from least to most optimistic. The middle range suggests 35 million in 2050. The media jumped on the most over sensationalised growth figures for Sydney, Melbourne & Perth.

I cant ever see Suva or PNG in the mix. Nor Newcastle for that matter.

I guarantee you no-one at the AFL is even thinking about 2050 when they're still weighing up the competition structure for 2017 onwards.

We're pretty much stuck with a 22 round fixture over ~23 weeks due to ground sharing with cricket and the AFLPA.

Given that, 23 clubs, play each other once (1 bye/week), alternate between home and away each year.

10 Vic
4 WA
3 SA
2 NSW
2 QLD
1 Tas
1 ??? ( see what the lie of the land is in ~20 years...at current growth rates, quite possibly Darwin)

Once we've achieved this, if there sufficient demand for more, start working on a second tier national league.

Vic (and Tas) are over represented on what the likely population (etc) will be by then, but a combination of sentiment, history and the commission seemingly unable to remove clubs once they're in (and I mean unable, not unwilling) makes this a realistic prospect for what can/should be.

Western Conference
TAS - Tasmania

Eastern Conference
NT - Northern Territory
ACT - Canberra
FIJI - Suva
PNG - Port Moresby
I'm sorry, I love the optimism, but a Fijian and PNG team are completely unsustainable. However I hope I'm hoping that changes by 2050.

I normally hate any talk of conferences or relegation, and I'm pretty sick of hearing new team theories every week, BUT I appreciate that the OP has at least specified that this is a question of what we'll be like in almost 50 years. My thoughts on this scenario:

- there should never be conferences, ever, under any circumstances.

- I'm fine with 24 teams if it means splitting it into to two divisions of 12, div 1 and 2, with bottom/top 3 being promoted/relegated yearly

- There should never be more teams than there are now in the premier competition. 18 is too much as it is (16 was acceptable), any more than 18 and it'll be an absolute shambles

- if you have two sets of 12, finals will be a top 5 or 6

- I don't care where the teams comes from

Remove this Banner Ad

Back