Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
BigAnt CEOs Twitter account Bio possibly hinting at new AFL game 👀

Attachments

• Ross Symons bio.jpg
    Ross Symons bio.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,387
Wouldn't look into this at all. Evo 2 dropped last year and even though we didn't receive a 2021 season pack it'd be more than reasonable to assume Wicked Witch still has the license. BigAnt do great things for their other games and I don't doubt they'd make a perfectly fine game but Evo 2 is the best AFL game to date, it'd just seem like change for change's sake.

In short, until it's announced that an AFL game is the not-yet-announced game I wouldn't put weight into the theory.

Wouldn't look into this at all. Evo 2 dropped last year and even though we didn't receive a 2021 season pack it'd be more than reasonable to assume Wicked Witch still has the license. BigAnt do great things for their other games and I don't doubt they'd make a perfectly fine game but Evo 2 is the best AFL game to date, it'd just seem like change for change's sake.

In short, until it's announced that an AFL game is the not-yet-announced game I wouldn't put weight into the theory.
Evo2 did receive a 2021 Season Update was released later in the season. AFL Evo2 would be around for another year most likely, then new game 2023/24. BigAnt have recently joined with Nacon so that would make it even more reasonable to make the next AFL game and acquire the license.

This is BigAnt CEOs reply to a member of the BGLMedia Gaming Community so that does throw the bait out there

Attachments

• ross.jpg
    ross.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,271
Fingers crossed, they could really do it justice with more support and finance that they have now.

I personally want consistency with the developer. Wicked witch have the opportunity now to build on the foundations they’ve set - to bring together a really balanced and polished product in Evo 3. If big ant get the rights back we’ll probably be going 1 or 2 steps back from the best afl game yet in evo2, and most definitely a worse result then what Wicked Witch could deliver in a future game. Given the amount of scaffolding WW have done to this point from game mode depth and game play, tactics to improved camera dynamics, audio, commentary, animations, cut-scene variety, settings flexibility and player likeness. We’re Getting more and more closer to an official AFL game that all fans will want to cough up the cash to buy. If big ant gets it back, we’re baisically back at ground zero.

Evolution 2 was not the best AFL game, it still has the same faults as its Wicked Witch predecessors gameplay wise. One theory I have. Big Ant are really investing into the AFLW, with Carlton being sponsored by them. This leads me to think they're trying very hard to get in the AFL's good graces, so they would give the license to them. I'm sure they've been in talks.

I personally want consistency with the developer. Wicked witch have the opportunity now to build on the foundations they’ve set - to bring together a really balanced and polished product in Evo 3. If big ant get the rights back we’ll probably be going 1 or 2 steps back from the best afl game yet in evo2, and most definitely a worse result then what Wicked Witch could deliver in a future game. Given the amount of scaffolding WW have done to this point from game mode depth and game play, tactics to improved camera dynamics, audio, commentary, animations, cut-scene variety, settings flexibility and player likeness. We’re Getting more and more closer to an official AFL game that all fans will want to cough up the cash to buy. If big ant gets it back, we’re baisically back at ground zero.
Evolution 2 gameplay wise is already 1000 steps back from Live 1, so you're not losing any ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Evolution 2 was not the best AFL game, it still has the same faults as its Wicked Witch predecessors gameplay wise. One theory I have. Big Ant are really investing into the AFLW, with Carlton being sponsored by them. This leads me to think they're trying very hard to get in the AFL's good graces, so they would give the license to them. I'm sure they've been in talks.
I respect the strategy Big Ant took with Live 1 to try and build a good foundation for future games, and I wish they got to continue on after that, but changing the developer AGAIN is one of the worst things they could do. It just undoes all the work WW did to build their foundation and grow from that. The jump from Evo 1 to Evo 2 was astronomical by AFL game standards. In an ideal world where WW do the licensed game and BA do the unlicensed game and I had to buy only one I'd probably buy the BA game but I just fail to see that happening and it wouldn't make sense to ditch WW now.

I respect the strategy Big Ant took with Live 1 to try and build a good foundation for future games, and I wish they got to continue on after that, but changing the developer AGAIN is one of the worst things they could do. It just undoes all the work WW did to build their foundation and grow from that. The jump from Evo 1 to Evo 2 was astronomical by AFL game standards. In an ideal world where WW do the licensed game and BA do the unlicensed game and I had to buy only one I'd probably buy the BA game but I just fail to see that happening and it wouldn't make sense to ditch WW now.
The market's not big enough here for an unlicenced game to be viable imo. I don't think Big Ant wouldn't take it on without knowing they could have licensed teams and players in the game.

I did not see any jump, it's still the same game with just updated graphics and extra features. The flow of the game is still the same from AFL on the Wii all the way up to Evo 2. In fact, Evo 2 has very inferior AI and physics than Live 1, which is almost 11 years old. Big Ant already has the infrastructure there to create a competent AFL game, such as with the physics "having weight" to the players and ball movement, and an understanding of how footballer AI should be. Also, all their sports games include the same extra features like the fan hub. So I'm at a loss as to why you would think it would be "going backwards" when Wicked Witch have never competed with what Big Ant did with just 1 iteration.

Evolution 2 gameplay wise is already 1000 steps back from Live 1, so you're not losing any ground.
That is your opinion, but one I strongly disagree with. Imagine a game better than AFL Evo 2 where the ball doesn't even bounce for a start?

Big Ant are dedicated sport developers, and that’s the biggest thing for me wanting an AFL game. Devs that are super passionate about the games they are making. They established a great base with Live 1, and the prospect of them getting another go with more resources gives me more hope than WW ever will

When was the last time you played live 1? I have both Evo 2 and live 1 and play them both and I find the differences glaring.

I respect the effort WW put in for Evo 2 and now their willingness for feedback to improve for Evo 3, but gameplay wise it is behind live 1. The game is broken, there is no acceptable camera angle to play with, ball physics are not up to standard, player movement is slippery and weightless, on console performance makes it unplayable at least for me, also the scripting is worse than madden AI teams regularly kicking 10 goals in one quarter to catch up? All of a sudden your players run away from the play, deliberately out position you can't mark. The scripting is one of the main things that ruin it for me.

Like I said I respect WW effort and everything outside the gameplay with Evo 2 is great. But it needs a lot of work and if they are making Evo 3, I wish them well and I will probably buy it, after seeing some reviews though.

When was the last time you played live 1? I have both Evo 2 and live 1 and play them both and I find the differences glaring.

I respect the effort WW put in for Evo 2 and now their willingness for feedback to improve for Evo 3, but gameplay wise it is behind live 1. The game is broken, there is no acceptable camera angle to play with, ball physics are not up to standard, player movement is slippery and weightless, on console performance makes it unplayable at least for me, also the scripting is worse than madden AI teams regularly kicking 10 goals in one quarter to catch up? All of a sudden your players run away from the play, deliberately out position you can't mark. The scripting is one of the main things that ruin it for me.

Like I said I respect WW effort and everything outside the gameplay with Evo 2 is great. But it needs a lot of work and if they are making Evo 3, I wish them well and I will probably buy it, after seeing some reviews though.
Wicked Witch are the "budget sheet" alternative. So, with their limited budget, they really should just stop wasting their limited resources on attempting to do photo realistic graphics. They really should study the sport, put a significant amount of their effort into making the AI actually act like footballers, with the rest going with a simpler art style (maybe 2.5D). I've seen more convincing physics in 2D sprite games, because 3D is harder to do.

IMO Ross's reply there is just him being professional and not stepping on another developer's toes in regards to announcements and publicity, especially given they share a publisher. BA probably also have plenty on their plate with Cricket 22 coming out.

I wish they were able to get the license back. Nothing has come close to AFL Live in terms of gameplay since.

I personally want consistency with the developer. Wicked witch have the opportunity now to build on the foundations they’ve set - to bring together a really balanced and polished product in Evo 3.

How many times are we going to hear this about WW? Evo 2 was WW's 4th bite at the cherry, and it's still not very good. Every time all we hear is "Let WW build a decent base." Well how many opportunities do they need? AFL Wii, rubbish. AFL Live 2, rubbish. AFL Evo, recyclable but still in the bin. AFL Evo 2 is passable I guess but still janky. IMO they just don't have it in them. They're a Cat B rookie from a country that's never heard of AFL and they're deadset trying their best but they just don't have it.

Big Ant are dedicated sport developers, and that’s the biggest thing for me wanting an AFL game. Devs that are super passionate about the games they are making. They established a great base with Live 1, and the prospect of them getting another go with more resources gives me more hope than WW ever will

This follows on from my last point. Football just isn't natural for WW. It's not their thing. They're trying, but in their 4th AFL console game, they referred to free kicks as "penalties".

TLDR; I wish Big Ant were making it but they're probably busy doing their own things, so expect another "It's not FIFA, it's a good foundation, there's some bugs and the animation is stiff but the career mode is 15 years long, I'm excited to see what they can do with Evo 4" iteration from WW.

This follows on from my last point. Football just isn't natural for WW. It's not their thing. They're trying, but in their 4th AFL console game, they referred to free kicks as "penalties".
Yep, small things like this shouldn’t happen. WW are practically being subcontracted to make a game when they’d rather be making something else. I’ve had a few conversations with people who work at the studio, and it was clear that sports gaming wasn’t their number one passion.

Whilst Evo 2 was a step in the right direction, it didn’t do enough for me to keep persisting to play it after a month.

Ross has alluded to AFL being something they’d always be interested in getting back into if the opportunity presents itself. The two year cycle of a game then a list update that Tru Blu normally runs is up, so I’d say we are due for some sort of an announcement within the next 6 months of what is coming next.

IMO Ross's reply there is just him being professional and not stepping on another developer's toes in regards to announcements and publicity, especially given they share a publisher. BA probably also have plenty on their plate with Cricket 22 coming out.

I wish they were able to get the license back. Nothing has come close to AFL Live in terms of gameplay since.

How many times are we going to hear this about WW? Evo 2 was WW's 4th bite at the cherry, and it's still not very good. Every time all we hear is "Let WW build a decent base." Well how many opportunities do they need? AFL Wii, rubbish. AFL Live 2, rubbish. AFL Evo, recyclable but still in the bin. AFL Evo 2 is passable I guess but still janky. IMO they just don't have it in them. They're a Cat B rookie from a country that's never heard of AFL and they're deadset trying their best but they just don't have it.

TLDR; I wish Big Ant were making it but they're probably busy doing their own things, so expect another "It's not FIFA, it's a good foundation, there's some bugs and the animation is stiff but the career mode is 15 years long, I'm excited to see what they can do with Evo 4" iteration from WW.
As far as I’m concerned AFL evo 2 is the best afl game of all time. And a better game than any sports game bigant have ever created. So that’s enough reason for me wanting WW to keep it rolling

As far as I’m concerned AFL evo 2 is the best afl game of all time. And a better game than any sports game bigant have ever created. So that’s enough reason for me wanting WW to keep it rolling
Looks like Ross is having a laugh at the Wicked Witch camp. I would like to know why exactly do you think it's better? I only hear, "It's better, just because." Never a real reason. Because the physics and AI are shocking compared to Live 1.

Last edited:
Looks like Ross is having a laugh at the Wicked Witch camp. I would like to know why exactly do you think it's better? I only hear, "It's better, just because." Never a real reason. Because the physics and AI are shocking compared to Live 1.

It is bewildering to me that people think the physics and AI are better in afl live. In Evo 2 the ball actually bounces for a start. The ball in afl live is more like a bowling ball. Evo 2 game play is also much more complex and complete, such as, switching, players running to receive the handball off a mark, player movement variation, handballs are more complex and are actually useful, more tackle variation, more complex marking variation, more kicking variation, a much better set shot system and variation. The AI is less predictable and more realistic. Game play doesn’t resemble the little leagues with a chain of players chasing to tackle. Afl live was a tackle fest. There are positioning tactic change options on the fly. Cut scenes way more advanced - I had always dreamt of a set shot cut scene, wide variety of banners, career mode which is developing nicely. AfL game day. Player realism is the best it’s been. I changed game sliders which have resulted in less marks sticking in packs (pack marks didn’t exist in Live), more crumbing, better tagging but then less effective tackles, more tackle breaks, more spoils. Evo 2 feels much more like the contested AFL game. Live only had a few marking variations, handballs were downright useless, kicking was baisic (no clearance kicks, no dribble kicks, tackles sucked. No career mode, very baisic tactics, baisic player detail. No career mode, I could go on but this should be enough to get the picture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back