Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

If we're taking orders I'd like a Pepperoni but hold the Red Bull to the studio. But please don't, I already eat enough Pizza.

Thought I'd come on and officially introduce myself after Ross posted since it is a good time and he can confirm who I am when he looks... maybe, we'll see when he is on next. I am JNT_BA from Big Ant, I am the PLO which is just a fancy way of saying I will be looking after the community things, some of you who got down to the demo at the grand final last year most likely would have been talking to me on most of the days. You'll be hearing lots more from us in the coming months when we can. You can find me around all the various places Reddit, Steam, Planet Cricket, Twitch, and others, so all the fun places.

As Ross mentioned there is nothing to share right now. But there will be in the future and we are looking forward to talking with you all when we are ready. I've been here for months reading all the comments and taking all the suggestions and ideas you guys have and we love reading it all, so keep it up. This community has been great and we're excited to show the game when we're closer to release.

Although I'm around most of the week here watching and keeping up to date, we won't always have the ability to reply at the moment to every question, but keep the conversations up we're really enjoying it.

Thanks,
JNT_BA
So, were you the bloke who kept saying, "I can't tell you." to everyones questions at the demos?

If it's not ready to be released in the first 4-6 weeks of the season just delay it till next year and then release it week 1 or even in the pre-season. No one wants to fork out full price for a game that won't be up-to-date a couple months after its released.
Take the time, get it right and release it in a time frame when all other major sports titles release their games, at the start of the season.
I wouldn't mind if they polished it for another year, but I don't understand what you mean by out of date? The squads? I'm pretty sure they will be patching and updating the game as the season goes on.

I wouldn't mind if they polished it for another year, but I don't understand what you mean by out of date? The squads? I'm pretty sure they will be patching and updating the game as the season goes on.
I mean if it's a released later in the season, a few months later we have trades, delistings, draftees, free agents etc and I can't see them releasing a free patch for that, rather it would be a new game in the new year or paid dlc.

I mean if it's a released later in the season, a few months later we have trades, delistings, draftees, free agents etc and I can't see them releasing a free patch for that, rather it would be a new game in the new year or paid dlc.
They update their games all the time for free. Not sure if you're thinking of their 2011 game. That was a different era where they had to fork out money for updates, but now I believe it's free for them to do so. Also, their business model is different than Tru Blu's, so I don't think they'll do microtransactions just for a seasonal update.

They update their games all the time for free. Not sure if you're thinking of their 2011 game. That was a different era where they had to fork out money for updates, but now I believe it's free for them to do so. Also, their business model is different than Tru Blu's, so I don't think they'll do microtransactions just for a seasonal update.

True. I mean I'll still buy it regardless of when it's released but I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say we all want a game released at the start of the season!
And I trust they have done good stuff like that in the past but I don't really trust game companies at all these days to not monetise everything they can so we'll see!

True. I mean I'll still buy it regardless of when it's released but I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say we all want a game released at the start of the season!
And I trust they have done good stuff like that in the past but I don't really trust game companies at all these days to not monetise everything they can so we'll see!
As a fan, I don't care when in the year it comes out, I just hope they have all the needed gameplay mechanics, ie smart AI, the right player maneuvers, gang tackles, keeping ball in play mechanic, etc. But I do like the idea of them having another year of development. Just anything to get it right. And I don't care about the extra features that don't have anything to do with the gameplay. Gameplay is paramount, there's plenty of other garbage AFL games with loads of irrelevant extras if people don't care about gameplay.

Thanks mate, really appreciate that you guys are taking this community's views into account. Keen to see what you guys create, it sounds excellent so far.

Can you get a closer picture for us than simply the coming months? Understand it's not exactly a process completed by a certain date, but I'm gaggin to have some breadcrumbs on when some screenshots/trailer teasers/ratings/sneak peak details might drop.
I really wish I could say more, but there are timelines to keep. But hey who knows maybe me turning up now is a good sign or maybe a bad one? We'll have to wait and find out. :think:

The community is super important to us and to me. I have spent the last number of months working with the Cricket community on various platforms which I will continue to do as well here and on our other projects. To get this out of the way I will better define what I will be doing in my interactions. I will be here to be a conduit to the developers. I read all the comments, all the posts here, all the support ticket suggestions, watch all the youtube videos, read all the emails all the many many messages we get of people's concerns and things they would like to see. I make sure they don't get lost in the wild. I'm not here to announce anything, but I will be here to help with any questions there will be once things have been announced.
I appreciate someone from BA in here but it hasn't cleared anything up.....
There are so many unknowns and for a little longer that's how it's going to be, we are hard at work making sure the game is as fun as it should be.
So, were you the bloke who kept saying, "I can't tell you." to everyones questions at the demos?
That would depend on how many questions you fired at me and I lost ways of saying I can't talk about it, my usual response was something like "Nothing we can talk about at the moment". But no although I did say those words on a few occasions, most of my time I spend conversing with people and helping some kids work out the goal-kicking game. If you had a long conversation with anyone was probably me. Sad that I know there is some footage out there on some phone of me talking with them for some time about the demo that never was put anywhere.
They update their games all the time for free.
This is true, we did a number of updates for Cricket 22 when we could to update uniforms and team lineups. The most recent one doing a number of new team lineups and some updates to certain kits to bring them in line with what was current at that time.

I’m aware it’s still very early still and the game is a while away from dropping but what part of the process are you guys at JNT BA? I’m sure I speak for everyone here when I say we haven’t had much transparency, plus I’m sure plenty people are genuinely interested in the actual game development process

A number of people here need to reassess their expectations of developer interaction and the release of information. We’re not presented with a choice between the level of interaction we’re receiving here, and full insider knowledge; not at all. The choice is truly between the interaction we’re receiving here, and nothing at all. The fact that they’re engaging with anyone here at all should be a positive as it is, but people are choosing to look in the mouth of the proverbial gift horse. It’s not at all dissimilar to people complaining about the graphics in the GTA:VI leak; the Dunning-Kruger effect on full display.

Game development is a process that is ever-fluid until it goes gold. Imagine the outrage if Big Ant stated a certain feature-set would be in the game, only for something problematic to happen and lead to said features being cut. Ironically, the hypothetically outraged people are likely the very same people complaining about the lack of “transparency” here.

For those of us that were around in 2011 when Big Ant were interacting in the lead up to AFL Live’s release, you’ll remember some of the same things happening last time. Quite frankly, I’m a little surprised Ross and Big Ant have returned at all, knowing that this type of response is likely.

If you want inside information of game development, either apply for a role in the given company or, if they’re publicly traded, buy a sufficient number of shares to be privy to such information. Otherwise, stop complaining about failing to receive something to which you are not entitled.

A number of people here need to reassess their expectations of developer interaction and the release of information. We’re not presented with a choice between the level of interaction we’re receiving here, and full insider knowledge; not at all. The choice is truly between the interaction we’re receiving here, and nothing at all. The fact that they’re engaging with anyone here at all should be a positive as it is, but people are choosing to look in the mouth of the proverbial gift horse.

Game development is a process that is ever-fluid until it goes gold. Imagine the outrage if Big Ant stated a certain feature-set would be in the game, only for something problematic to happen and lead to said features being cut. Ironically, the hypothetically outraged people are likely the very same people complaining about the lack of “transparency” here.

If you want inside information of game development, either apply for a role in the given company or, if they’re publicly traded, buy a sufficient number of shares to be privy to such information. Otherwise, stop complaining about something to which you are not entitled.
I don’t think anyone here feels entitled. A gameplay demo was released last September to a select few. Normally in the sports gaming industry, a playable demo means the full game is right around the corner and so that’s what most people expected.

We can ask for as much information as we like. We don’t have to receive it. We are the consumers, and most of us will buy the game. No wonder we want information about a product we are very likely going to purchase. It’s our role to want this information, and it’s BA’s role to drop little pieces when they see fit.

Asking and hoping to receive information about a product we are going to buy doesn’t seem entitled to me.

I don’t think anyone here feels entitled. A gameplay demo was released last September to a select few. Normally in the sports gaming industry, a playable demo means the full game is right around the corner and so that’s what most people expected.

We can ask for as much information as we like. We don’t have to receive it. We are the consumers, and most of us will buy the game. No wonder we want information about a product we are very likely going to purchase. It’s our role to want this information, and it’s BA’s role to drop little pieces when they see fit.

Asking and hoping to receive information about a product we are going to buy doesn’t seem entitled to me.

It wasn’t a gameplay demo, but what is known as a “vertical slice” of the game. They cordon off a small portion of features to make it easier to send out a piece that is at the standard of the finished product, as proof of concept / demonstration. There’s a fundamental difference between a demo of the full product and a segment of the game that represents 2% of the total experience, deliberately polished before everything else is completed. Developers will have vertical slices prepared sometimes literal years before the expected release date. Whilst this game isn’t years away, the September slice in no way indicates the full game is around the corner; it could be, but this is not proof of that fact.

We’ll just have to disagree on the sense of entitlement. The language should be along the lines of “I hope we receive some info about the game”, but many people in here are using language with expectation baked into it.

It wasn’t a gameplay demo, but what is known as a “vertical slice” of the game. They cordon off a small portion of features to make it easier to send out a piece that is at the standard of the finished product, as proof of concept / demonstration. There’s a fundamental difference between a demo of the full product and a segment of the game that represents 2% of the total experience, deliberately polished before everything else is completed. Developers will have vertical slices prepared sometimes literal years before the expected release date. Whilst this game isn’t years away, the September slice in no way indicates the full game is around the corner; it could be, but this is not proof of that fact.

We’ll just have to disagree on the sense of entitlement. The language should be along the lines of “I hope we receive some info about the game”, but many people in here are using language with expectation baked into it.
I understand what you’re saying, but everyone in here thought the game was coming out at the start of 2023, likely due to the trailer and goalkicking demo dropping last September, and so when no new information has dropped since then, no wonder people are hyper-interested to know what’s going on.

I think dropping the cinematic trailer and goalkicking challenge so early got people quite excited and brought forward the expected delivery date.

I understand what you’re saying, but everyone in here thought the game was coming out at the start of 2023, likely due to the trailer and goalkicking demo dropping last September, and so when no new information has dropped since then, no wonder people are hyper-interested to know what’s going on.

Therein lies the problem, though. People developed erroneous expectations based on their ignorance of game development timelines, ergo my reference to the Dunning-Kruger effect. I could understand the type of comments that we see here, if Big Ant promised an early 2023 release date and subsequently followed up with radio silence, but they didn’t.

I think dropping the cinematic trailer and goalkicking challenge so early got people quite excited and brought forward the expected delivery date.

Again, it’s not Big Ant’s fault that people shifted their expectations, so any disappointment they’re experiencing is entirely their own fault. As I said in my previous post, cinematic trailers and vertical slices are released literal years in advance of release date announcements, let alone the release of the game itself. This has been the case ever since the N64/PS1 era of gaming and has only gotten “worse” insofar as the time between said trailers/vertical slices releasing and the game’s release expanding as development becomes more complex.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Therein lies the problem, though. People developed erroneous expectations based on their ignorance of game development timelines, ergo my reference to the Dunning-Kruger effect. I could understand the type of comments that we see here, if Big Ant promised an early 2023 release date and subsequently followed up with radio silence, but they didn’t.

Again, it’s not Big Ant’s fault that people shifted their expectations, so any disappointment they’re experiencing is entirely their own fault. As I said in my previous post, cinematic trailers and vertical slices are released literal years in advance of release date announcements, let alone the release of the game itself. This has been the case ever since the N64/PS1 era of gaming and has only gotten “worse” insofar as the time between said trailers/vertical slices releasing and the game’s release expanding as development becomes more complex.
Yeah that’s my point though. Of course expectations are higher than they should be, hence the questions and nagging. If they respond, they respond. If they don’t, they don’t.

It’s not that serious but who doesn’t want information?

Sorry for the spam posts today, this will be my last one but I have been bored at work and been thinking about this game all day.

I took the time to message Michael Frederick to ask if anyone from Freo has been scanned into the game yet.

Strange to hear that they haven’t, and, from what I’ve heard, a lot of fans are expecting this game to come out relatively soon.

I also remember hearing that Matteas Phillipou and other rookies had their face scanned pre draft but some interstate clubs haven’t been scanned yet (assuming they will get scanned at all).

To me, it seems like this game is much further out from releasing as I originally thought.

Facescans that haven’t been captured yet, the game doesn’t have a name yet, doesn’t have a cover star yet, doesn’t have an age rating, doesn’t have any sort of timeline or release date, and we haven’t been given any news since September.

Yes I know Big Ant is a smaller team and won’t have the time/budget to market a game that is still a while away from drop.

I know we are all super excited to play this game, let alone get updates about it, but I feel like Ross and Big Ant aren’t giving news for a reason - it’s not nearly ready yet.

The more I write, the more I get the feeling that the game is going to be ready by about the middle of the season, hopefully as early as Gather Round, but potentially as late as finals.

I hope I’m proven wrong and Ross has just been too busy cooking up an electronic footy masterpiece to post any updates, but from what I’m feeling, I don’t expect this game for another 4-5 months.

The point I’m trying to make is the community shouldn’t rush BigAntStudios as I can imagine all the posts, comments and questions about the game would make it feel like it needs to be rushed out. I’d rather wait and receive a finished product, then get it sooner, but the quality is low, and I’m sure we all can agree.
Found this post by Ross as I was searching for the above trailer. Maybe Freo is the team that wasn't scanned?

All AFL (except one team) and AFLW players have been scanned so far, all will have been by game release, and will appear scanned in game.

It is not a memory issue, hasn't been since PS4 days.

A number of people here need to reassess their expectations of developer interaction and the release of information. We’re not presented with a choice between the level of interaction we’re receiving here, and full insider knowledge; not at all. The choice is truly between the interaction we’re receiving here, and nothing at all. The fact that they’re engaging with anyone here at all should be a positive as it is, but people are choosing to look in the mouth of the proverbial gift horse. It’s not at all dissimilar to people complaining about the graphics in the GTA:VI leak; the Dunning-Kruger effect on full display.

For those of us that were around in 2011 when Big Ant were interacting in the lead up to AFL Live’s release, you’ll remember some of the same things happening last time. Quite frankly, I’m a little surprised Ross and Big Ant have returned at all, knowing that this type of response is likely.

If you want inside information of game development, either apply for a role in the given company or, if they’re publicly traded, buy a sufficient number of shares to be privy to such information. Otherwise, stop complaining about failing to receive something to which you are not entitled.
This x1000. The entitlement in this thread is crazy, and the lack of knowledge on how game development works shows.

Found this post by Ross as I was searching for the above trailer. Maybe Freo is the team that wasn't scanned?
Ahhh perfect thank you for this. Perhaps they’re going to catch the team when they play over east or would the studio temporarily setup in Perth?

Therein lies the problem, though. People developed erroneous expectations based on their ignorance of game development timelines, ergo my reference to the Dunning-Kruger effect.

words point GIF

JNT BA thanks for gracing the forum with your presence! Understood if you cant answer this, but is it a fair assumption, depending on your licensing deal with the AFL, will AFL 23 be a sole release with perhaps yearly DLC/patch updates? Thanks!

But Big Ant have the license, this time. Unlike last time with Live 1 in 2011, where it was Tru Blu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back