Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:

Or its possible the rating is a composite of that data, and additional data that you don’t have access to. A shred of critical thinking can go a long way.
Questioning Lachie Jones speed ranking being number 1 on the basis of the gps data available on the website is critical thinking. Max speed would have to be used as part of the calculations.

Last edited:
Just on champion data, I know it's a business but it shits me how much statistical data they keep under lock and key behind a huge pay wall. They have literally terrabytes of data that people like swamp thing could work wonders with.

Instead we get the buffoons of fox footy giving us the most simplest of stat's.

Sorry to go off topic.

Just on champion data, I know it's a business but it shits me how much statistical data they keep under lock and key behind a huge pay wall. They have literally terrabytes of data that people like swamp thing could work wonders with.

Sorry to go off topic.
I'd imagine Swamp would have access to that data, considering he works as a statistician for the AFL.

48 hours from now this thread is either gonna extend 50 more pages with a complete shitstorm of game media/info OR everyones gonna tear into GOTHELIONS16 about the ratings and nothing in the middle 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️

I think once I see gameplay I’ll won’t have to see a thread like this until the next game

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Set up the old PS3 to give AFL Live one last run
Have to say, I really do hope the new game is a lot harder than this.
Played my first game in probably 7 or so years on Legend and only lost by 3 points. Then won the next game by 70 😬
I also found it a lot harder to hit a target with a handball compared to Evo 2
Not sure if I was doing something wrong ? But it often seemed to handball into space rather than to the actual player I was aiming for
I mean, I’d imagine this won’t be an issue in the new game regardless. Just thought I’d share my thoughts 😆

I've been playing Live 1 again too. Definitely noticing the handballs could use tightening up. I can generally find a player 5m away with no issues, but the lack of a distance modifier does hurt. In quite a lot of congested situations your teammate will gravitate towards you, and a little 1m drop handball would be perfect but it ends up rocketing past your teammate and dribbles towards an incoming opponent.

Hopefully 23 will have a bit of a powerup meter or even just a simple mechanic of quick press is a short handball and long press is a long one, like jumping in Mario style platformers.

Last edited:

Sorry to go off topic.
spot on.

there's a bit of a line between stats clubs/afl sees and stats we see. it's literally employee-walled: you will not see if if you don't work in footy, either in CD or broadcasting itself. they are very, VERY protective of it too.

interesting fact from my mate - you cannot gamble at all on AFL or any CD-related sports as a CD employee. like, at all. competitive advantage etc, though I totally expect sportsbet etc have full access to it to draft their odds precisely.

imo access for public may change as the afl realise how important stats are to people in coming years, but the thinking is a bit insular at the moment.

some of the stuff in there is mad.

spot on.

there's a bit of a line between stats clubs/afl sees and stats we see. it's literally employee-walled: you will not see if if you don't work in footy, either in CD or broadcasting itself. they are very, VERY protective of it too.

interesting fact from my mate - you cannot gamble at all on AFL or any CD-related sports as a CD employee. like, at all. competitive advantage etc, though I totally expect sportsbet etc have full access to it to draft their odds precisely.

imo access for public may change as the afl realise how important stats are to people in coming years, but the thinking is a bit insular at the moment.

some of the stuff in there is mad.
Yeah, generally working in and around the AFL industry or any other major sporting league makes sports gambling a no-no. It’s a pretty big competitive advantage on the average punter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lack of short handballs in AFL live was certainly frustrating. Would love to see some kind of distance modifier in this game or a future release.

For example, perhaps little rings appear under players within vicinity of a handball. The closest player has a brighter / different coloured ring to denote they’ll receive the handball if you just tap the button, but as you hold down then handball button (only briefly required, given how fast it needs to be released) the second furthest player becomes highlighted then the third (then 4th, if applicable) and once you let go of the button, the handball is sent.

Or perhaps the closest player is highlighted but holding another button, like a shoulder button, will denote going to the next player in the chain.

Otherwise, I wouldn’t be against a Madden-like system whereby players have different buttons hovering above their head. For example (for Xbox) in order to handball you hold LT, and then different players will have A/B/X/Y above their head, and you press the button to handball to that player. If you hold LB, it’ll be to kick, instead. The power is denoted by how long you press the button (e.g tap = clearance in general direction at cost of accuracy / brief hold = more air / longer hold = faster and flatter).

Wishful thinking, the only way it gets released early is if the game breaks street date which rarely happens these days
Depends on the retailers too - I can’t imagine EB or JB breaking street date these days. Target, Big W etc wouldn’t bat an eyelid in store but from what I can gather, they aren’t stocking the game. Was there ever clarification on who leaked the first Live?

The lack of short handballs in AFL live was certainly frustrating. Would love to see some kind of distance modifier in this game or a future release.

For example, perhaps little rings appear under players within vicinity of a handball. The closest player has a brighter / different coloured ring to denote they’ll receive the handball if you just tap the button, but as you hold down then handball button (only briefly required, given how fast it needs to be released) the second furthest player becomes highlighted then the third (then 4th, if applicable) and once you let go of the button, the handball is sent.

Or perhaps the closest player is highlighted but holding another button, like a shoulder button, will denote going to the next player in the chain.

Otherwise, I wouldn’t be against a Madden-like system whereby players have different buttons hovering above their head. For example (for Xbox) in order to handball you hold LT, and then different players will have A/B/X/Y above their head, and you press the button to handball to that player. If you hold LB, it’ll be to kick, instead. The power is denoted by how long you press the button (e.g tap = clearance in general direction at cost of accuracy / brief hold = more air / longer hold = faster and flatter).
There should be a power meter for hand passing, so you can thump the ball really far, or really short. And you should be able to power the hand pass meter up very quickly. It was frustrating in Live 1, the AI could do power kicks off one step, whereas it took us as the player more time to power kick.

The last 3* AFL games have all broken street date FYI, so it would almost be more surprising if it doesn’t break street date.

* Idk whether the IR Gurus games broke or not.

edit - forgot AFL Live 2 existed, did that break or not? If not it's 3 out of 4 but point stands.

Last edited:
Was there ever clarification on who leaked the first Live?
Went back through some of the old AFL Live threads near release date (which incidentally I do not recommend, at all), seemed like a big mix of clueless Kmarts and Big W's letting it go out early before EB followed.

If it's not being stocked in the dept stores this time around it's tough to see it breaking.

I can say from my own experience trying to develop a footy game this is too complex for what should be a simple thing to do as it is a basic of the game. Only advanced more complex things should have like, hold lt press X type thing imo. Plus the gameplay would need to be significantly slower to successfully pull this off without throwing the controller haha

I like the idea of handball options having a circle at their feet, I've added that to my game. I would say a good solution would be tap for short, hold to charge for a longer handball and if there is a player in the vacinity of where the ball will land, it targets that player. Quick and easy and not so fustrating to pull off

A great thing they I hope they have is a lot of celebrations like fifa they have certain buttons to press for a celebration.

No pressure on the invitees tomorrow, but I wanna know everything about the game. The good, the bad and the ugly. In the relatively small amount of time you'll have a controller in your hands. Easy.

Good luck when this thread goes from 185 pages to one million, with most posts asking the same questions too :D

Went back through some of the old AFL Live threads near release date (which incidentally I do not recommend, at all), seemed like a big mix of clueless Kmarts and Big W's letting it go out early before EB followed.

AFL Live I remember wandering into Target and seeing it on the shelf like a week before launch. Grabbed it, played the s**t out of it for a week, picked up my preorder from EB for the preorder bonus, walked over to Target with my Target receipt and returned the shrink-wrapped EB one to Target :moustache:

AFL Live 2 I remember getting a text message from EB to say it was in, wandered over on my lunch break, dude had no idea those messages went out and had to call head office before he'd give me my game. In hindsight I should have told him to forget it and got my money back :straining:

The Evo games I didn't preorder and just picked them up when I saw them on the shelf so I have no idea if that was early or not.

Kmart don't sell games anymore and Target's range has shrunk massively. Big W still sell games but I reckon the chances of a broken release date are much less likely these days given it's mainly digital, JB Hi-Fi and EB Games rather than department stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back