FTA-TV AFL 360 - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

First time I have watched in ages, thought Clarko and Hardwick were excellent. More of this, less of journalists offering opinions (instead of getting actual news).

The best episode in ages. Sadly, it was a oncer. Two coaches with nothing on the line, but plenty of runs on the board, who are good media performers and get along well. Their own teams hadn't just played so they were able to talk freely about the wider game and not just all World of Sport Coaches Corner like. Often that segment comes on every Monday, with an entire round to dissect, yet the focus is just on two teams who didn't do anything amazing on the weekend anyway. If it isn't the coach of your team it's so boring.

At least it's better than Tuesdays when two players do the same thing, except more guarded and less media savvy.

I know Jonno Brown is biased, but to call Leigh Matthews an ornament to the game was ridiculous.

A great player and coach no doubt, but an ornament to the game.
I know it was a different time, but he was a thug.

Of course Whateley agreed with him.

I'm a bit over them asking players if they feel a 'special bond' or 'affinity' with particular opposition players, especially when they are playing against each other in the Grand Final on Saturday (e.g. Treloar and Petracca, Gawn and Bontempelli). It's like they want the whole industry to be mates and part of the '360 family'.

I'm a bit over them asking players if they feel a 'special bond' or 'affinity' with particular opposition players, especially when they are playing against each other in the Grand Final on Saturday (e.g. Treloar and Petracca, Gawn and Bontempelli). It's like they want the whole industry to be mates and part of the '360 family'.

The whole show is just a bit too satisfied with everyone on it. Whateley coos "Let's bring out our players/coaches/legends/old mates" as if we have some close affinity with them because they are part of their perceived 'family' and we're in for something special. However, all these segments do is stifle what is often really good discussion to that point.

The "Old Mates" segment offers nothing at all and usually the lack of content means the conversation veers boringly to reminiscing on the Hawthorn three-peat, or how the Saints are travelling. I'd get the feeling they only roll Maclure out for the lols of a old-timer's Carlton rant, except I know he's actually there for real.

It's a real flat point of almost every show and in this house, the moment the pause button gets pressed and then skipped to something hopefully more interesting at the end of the show.

The show can be brilliant (Clarko/Dimma the other night, and Eddie Betts a few weeks ago) but most nights it's a punchy 30mins tops outstaying its welcome to a tedious hour.

The whole show is just a bit too satisfied with everyone on it. Whateley coos "Let's bring out our players/coaches/legends/old mates" as if we have some close affinity with them because they are part of their perceived 'family' and we're in for something special. However, all these segments do is stifle what is often really good discussion to that point.

The "Old Mates" segment offers nothing at all and usually the lack of content means the conversation veers boringly to reminiscing on the Hawthorn three-peat, or how the Saints are travelling. I'd get the feeling they only roll Maclure out for the lols of a old-timer's Carlton rant, except I know he's actually there for real.

It's a real flat point of almost every show and in this house, the moment the pause button gets pressed and then skipped to something hopefully more interesting at the end of the show.

The show can be brilliant (Clarko/Dimma the other night, and Eddie Betts a few weeks ago) but most nights it's a punchy 30mins tops outstaying its welcome to a tedious hour.
You've nailed it. When Whately says "Let's bring in our players/coaches/old mates" I more often than not change the channel / fast forward. Although the show does still have its high points, and Dunstall and Nick Riewoldt have been great additions, with the regular boring segments it feels like you're watching the same show / week over and over again. Developing these strong (and boring) relationships with the 'family' members has added greatly to the show losing the edge that a professional sports program needs to have.

I feel like we have watched the same segment with Lewis, Roughead and Reiwoldt the last three weeks.

Let's talk about how it felt with Hawthorn winning three flags and St Kilda losing two grand finals, rinse and repeat.

I can't remember the last time I turned on my TV and Jack Riewoldt wasn't on it. Holy sh*t they flog this guy to death.
Someone has decided he's "a character" and that audiences love him. It reminds me of the way they tried to push Dane Swan all the time because he was "a bit different".

These guys are nowhere near as engaging as whoever hired them imagines.

Someone has decided he's "a character" and that audiences love him. It reminds me of the way they tried to push Dane Swan all the time because he was "a bit different".

These guys are nowhere near as engaging as whoever hired them imagines.
Gee I really hope Max Gawn doesn't follow the same path. The man that referred to himself as 'quirky'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roughie seems like a terrific fella, but honestly, would he be getting a gig if it wasn't for Lewis?
Rough doesn't bring a lot to the table.

I could be wrong, but given Roughead has no obligation to appear on TV/Radio and given his character, I'm confident that:
A. Roughead would not be actively seeking his involvement on any media platform
B. Accordingly, Roughead would rightly insist on and is paid for such appearances
C. His friendship with Lewis is only related to Roughhead agreeing to appear
D. Compared to J Riewoldt, Roughead is a professional media performer...

They rotate the coaches on a Monday night which works well - They should consider doing the same for the players night and the old players night - You could have a rotating cast of ten who would appear every five weeks.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but given Roughead has no obligation to appear on TV/Radio and given his character, I'm confident that:
A. Roughead would not be actively seeking his involvement on any media platform
B. Accordingly, Roughead would rightly insist on and is paid for such appearances
C. His friendship with Lewis is only related to Roughhead agreeing to appear
D. Compared to J Riewoldt, Roughead is a professional media performer...
I think Riewoldt is an adequate media performer I just think his head is planted that far up his own backside that that the sheer frequency of his appearances becomes unbearable.

I do enjoy Roughead's insights though.
Seems a very likeable bloke and he provides his knowledge in a completely non arrogant way which is rare amoung players who've experienced success.

Still got Robbo's honesty and minimal filter in his cameo tonight. When Gerard pulls out the Mark Knight caricature of Robbo, "Looks like Dunstall!" [which it did].

Still got Robbo's honesty and minimal filter in his cameo tonight. When Gerard pulls out the Mark Knight caricature of Robbo, "Looks like Dunstall!" [which it did].

Ah that makes much more sense, I thought he said it looks like dusty lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back