AFL 360....VFL 360

Remove this Banner Ad

1st thread....will pull my head in

Welcome to Bigfooty

We have a number of different boards discussing many topics to which this type of thread generally will be discussed in the Footy Fourth Estate board. The fourth Estate covers all things media related, whether its print, news, radio, internet news sources and can be a place for these type of questions to be raised.

You can also introduce yourself by clicking HERE if you havent done so already.

Whilst the WA/SA teams do receive strong local support, the coverage Victorian teams receive in our market is significantly greater than the opposite.

I noticed that NRL have a Queenslanders Only show on Fox Rugby.
Perhaps Fox need to do something similar for AFL, No Victorians allowed or something like that.

The other question is when does this lack of National media recognition become a competitive disadvantage????
Surely it has an impact on attracting sponsors and recruiting players.

The way I see it is if you want a career in media after Football you better play for a Victorian club.

Whilst the WA/SA teams do receive strong local support, the coverage Victorian teams receive in our market is significantly greater than the opposite.

Perhaps Fox need to do something similar for AFL, No Victorians allowed or something like that.

The other question is when does this lack of National media recognition become a competitive disadvantage????

The way I see it is if you want a career in media after Football you better play for a Victorian club.
Yeah like Pavlich or Ricciuto, or Kane Cornes, or Jon Brown.

Seems like a bigger market for the non-star players though to get gigs other than commentating.

They didn't even talk about the North vs Richmond game and went on and on about the Port vs Crows game, so hardly think it is Vic biased. Their show isn't very long and they waffle about tribunal s**t too much so they tend to gloss over the games, only cover a few of them.

That's untrue. Currently in the Adelaide advertiser these are the leading afl sports stories. Quick google of "the advertiser sport" will show you.

View attachment 498352
How long has the Adelaide Advertiser been a WA newspaper ?

See what I mean, the WA media were too focused on the Eagles that they forgot to tell us about the new paper in town :rolleyes:

It used to be cool as a kid to say that Victorians didnt respect Black and Lappin.

Do adults from non-Vic states still run out garbage like that?

10 of the 18 teams are based in Victoria, so it kind of makes sense for the majority of coverage to be about Victorian teams, especially if there's a story or scandal there.

And of the other 8 no-one gives a stuff about 3 of them.

It's not just interstate teams though even the smaller Vic clubs get rare time unless it's to sink the boot in or they are absolutely dominating.

Fox has an NRL show that overcomes this gap. Its called "Queenslanders Only" and it just looks at the QLD teams, the same way AFL 360 just looks at the Vic sides.

Until a National media outlet or show emerges, it might be the way. If AFL 360 works for the Vics, who says a similar show wouldn't work for WA or SA?

But for now, The west and 6pr barely cover the 16 interstate sides / SEN and the Fox Footy channel don't cover non Victorian sides / 5AA focuses on the 2 SA sides.

No point getting in a tizz about it.

I don’t think you’ve thought this through.
Try thinking about it before you post

Yeah well done, isolate one quote and not take into account the whole post.

Have a count of the amount of Ex Vic players in the football media vs other states, especially on the national platform.
There is a big difference anyway you look at it.

Most people understand a local paper/news station running with a local bias.
It's when the TV stations try to fog themselves off as national programs or broadcasters that there is an issue.

Don't get confused with national vs local broadcasting.

Yeah like Pavlich or Ricciuto, or Kane Cornes, or Jon Brown.

Seems like a bigger market for the non-star players though to get gigs other than commentating.

Neither of them are West Australian, though the only reason Pav got a gig was his dual citizenship.
Jon Brown is Victorian through and through, Ricciuto is a boundary rider and Cornes has to carry on like a tool just to get a gig.

Who else is there on a National platform???

Belly?? Only when the eagles and dockers have a Ch7 game at home which is like 5 maybe 10 times a season.
Is there an ex Crows/Power player on Ch7??? I suppose Adelaide could claim Carey.

Champ, settle down.

360 usually works like:
Monday - round wrap up/tribunal speculation/injury.
Tuesday - tribunal results
Wednesday - whatever clubs are s**t/ scandals
Thursday - look ahead to the next round

Teams arent done until Thursday night - little point looking ahead until the teams are in.
Have a watch tonight.

I dont deny that vic teams get most airtime but WCE have been getting a lot of praise lately.
I have had access to Fox the last couple of days and been surprised at the amount of positive coverage of the Eagles. You can go a month on the 9 and 7 Monday footy shows without the Eagles getting a mention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah, thank god they have, and I quote, "Fremantle Club Champion, Bradley Hill" to help them get a headline this week.

Laughed when I heard him called a Freo Club Champion....I'm sorry, yes he was a champion player while at the Hawks but what has he actually done for Freo to make him a club champ?

Oh i just remembered, can't forget about that show on Chan 7, Eagles Nest (Do they still have it?)

Didnt he win the best and fairest?

tbf Melbourne kicked the highest score of any team this season last week and equalled the alltime record for inside 50s in a game.

Not one footy program mentioned them all week.

Anti-Melbourne bias? Nah there are just bigger stories and flavour of the weeks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nah they just played a basket case.

360 isn’t a reference to national.

That is just a throwaway line to flag that it comes at it from ‘all angles’ - they have coaches, players, ex-players, fans view. They review, preview and talk hot topics.

Each week and show has a pattern

Monday hero, get the coaches in. Get their take on a weekend controversy...the state of the game etc.

Monday hero was Ronke a Sydney player. They also spent plenty of time on the classic finish of the showdown, with the multiple radio cuts.

It is only really late in the week when they start talking about the upcoming games, ins and outs on Thursday, and again it is all about most to lose, doomsday scenario etc

People need to get a grip, if footy media isn’t talking about your team it means they are actually traveling ok.

Generally all angles would include 8 of the 18 teams.
One would think...

Dangerfield prime example.
Would not be head of AFLPA if he was still at Adelaide.

It used to be cool as a kid to say that Victorians didnt respect Black and Lappin.

Do adults from non-Vic states still run out garbage like that?

Its not really false.
Dangerfield plays very similar level of footy 2 years in a row.

Barely mentioned when in Adelaide, fapped over when at Geelong.

Doesnt really worry me. Means our players are consistently underrated.

I've stopped watching 360 not because of any Vic bias, more because they don't just state an opinion, they basically belittle anyone who disagrees with them. The first time I noticed was the 'pinch' affair between Crowley & Harvey, they basically just said Crowley was a liar when no-one knew the full story. No fair and balanced coverage 'from all angles'.
I still watched off and on since then and seen similar bias against certain teams/players, but haven't watched this year.

I think part of the problem is all the guests they have on are necessarily from Victorian clubs, so they focus on whoever they have on and their club. Live feeds are done occasionally but aren't the best viewing. If they could talk to the coaches a bit more generally about the game it would be interesting but you end up having a really deep analysis of Geelong or whatever with Scott every week and then a rough, well, yeah other teams exist. And talk in detail about one other game if they get round to it. Plus all the salacious gossip! It's just the tyranny of distance really. Even if they just rotated the coaches and the weekly players? Haven't watched it for ages so maybe they have changed up their format a bit. I've given up on footy media, but honestly, that's mostly just kids controlling my life now, otherwise I'd be as tragic as before.

True, but more true is that the majority of the AFL AUDIENCE is Victorian.
Sorry, but I think that's actually less true.

So let's say everyone in Victoria is a raving-mad member of the 'AFL audience'. That's roughly 5.8 million people.
By comparison, everyone from SA and WA would roughly equal 4.3 million people. In comparing these audiences (three states where AFL is clearly at saturation point and peak engagement), you are correct.

But I'd also be willing to venture that there are more than a combined 1.5 million AFL followers/'audience' members across the roughly 13.4 million people throughout NSW/QLD/TAS/NT/ACT.

I think part of the problem is all the guests they have on are necessarily from Victorian clubs, so they focus on whoever they have on and their club. Live feeds are done occasionally but aren't the best viewing. If they could talk to the coaches a bit more generally about the game it would be interesting but you end up having a really deep analysis of Geelong or whatever with Scott every week and then a rough, well, yeah other teams exist. And talk in detail about one other game if they get round to it. Plus all the salacious gossip! It's just the tyranny of distance really. Even if they just rotated the coaches and the weekly players? Haven't watched it for ages so maybe they have changed up their format a bit. I've given up on footy media, but honestly, that's mostly just kids controlling my life now, otherwise I'd be as tragic as before.

I dont think anyone has an issue with that.
I think its logical that the guests are most often victorians and therefore their teams are spoken account in THOSE SEGMENTS.

However I think its in just the bits with Robbo and Gerard that people think dont get a fair representation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back