TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
There seems to be new thinking at AFL House in a couple of ways.
First up the well documented AFL Womens League which was brought forward by the AFL CEO who recognised the new challenges facing Womens sports, and our game in particular.

The second topic is discussed in the article below which is the first time I had heard of this concept.
7 a side on rectangular grounds ie Soccer Football, The Rugby Codes etc, with full contact.
Now we all know 9 a side on rectangular grounds has been very successful having had almost universal acceptance Internationally because of space limitations in most places.
Will this new idea replace 9`s - We will have to wait and see.
However at least the AFL is thinking laterally about trying to expand the presence of the game everywhere.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-new-version-of-football-20160907-gral7s.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-new-version-of-football-20160907-gral7s.html

I wouldn't get too excited. We all know that 9-a-side is the bee's knees outside of Australia. It solves the problem of space and allows the creation of metro leagues. Even to the detractors, 9-a-side looks and plays out like Australian Football. Here's the crux - it shouldn't. 9-a-side football played by proficient players should be a boring shootout (if balanced) and it is exhausting. It's hard to see a product that would be not be exploited by the skills of AFL players and where is this new competition being slotted ? Summer time is the only slot available but wouldn't the women's competition be a better fit ?

Could happen. Some I have spoken to overseas have said they are open to it. 18s (or as close to it as logistics allow) always remains the game people aim to play, but the smaller versions serve a purpose.

IMO AFL stuffed up by making AFL9s non contact (and some other rules that go against the fun spirit of the game) and that has always held it back in Australia. Going to a 7s version may work more widely and allow us to forget about AFL9s. While International 9s will remain unless 7s becomes a very successful format in Australia it is really up to those nations to decide what works best for them. If the AFL provides some incentives for it to be played OS (balls, outfits, goals) then that may help.

Even during the IC they couldn't get the teams to play the AFL version on the MCG.

I'm still confused. 9-a-side football works really well overseas and it could be introduced in Australia as a summer recreational sport for those who want more than the non-contact versions. To go to 7-a-side format suggests that the AFL is thinking of some high level competition, but if that is the case, why the need for a small rectangular ground ? Why not just 9-a-side football on a slightly longer field, say 120m ? That is the length of a rugby field plus end zones.

I'm still confused. 9-a-side football works really well overseas and it could be introduced in Australia as a summer recreational sport for those who want more than the non-contact versions. To go to 7-a-side format suggests that the AFL is thinking of some high level competition, but if that is the case, why the need for a small rectangular ground ? Why not just 9-a-side football on a slightly longer field, say 120m ? That is the length of a rugby field plus end zones.

Yeh, agree, doesn't make a lot of sense.

AFL players will be involved in AFLX featuring 7 a side on Socca Pitches folks for Prize Money and it was inspired by the Big Bash.
We brought you the news last year they were trialling it, and it was thought to be a rumour only.
Read on.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/06/22/afls-version-of-t20-cricket-in-the-works/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+theroar+(The+Roar)

All they need to do now is offer Prize Money Internationally in select locations and it might take off.
Apparently 3 a side Basketball is getting popular overseas and Rugby 7`s has spread everywhere.

Last edited:
What do you envisage as possible ?
Well anything is possible.
The IC17 is on in August with most of the major countries attending. What a great opportunity for them to get together and start lobbying AFL House on this topic and other items. There is strength in unity to quote the Trade Unions.
Perhaps they might ask the AFLPLA, who are excellent negotiators for assistance and see if a International Division (Amateur at this time) of that group can be formed to assist them lobby.
That is all positive stuff but candidly I dont think anything will happen. But you never know who will read this, and pinch the idea.

I don't see the connection between overseas countries and 7s.

It has been well documented that most countries (outside of cricket playing nations) do not have the requisite grounds for high level, spectator friendly (i.e. seated stadiums) 18-a-side ovular footy. There is all of one such ground in the USA and it's in Ft. Lauderdale which isn't really convenient for people to get to.

I'm convinced that while I'm sure this concept has been bouncing around in Gil's brain for some time, the impetus to push this forward was the trip the Australian IRS team made to New York in the lead up to the IRS series in 2015. If you'll recall, the team trained at the New York Jets facilities, and Gil spent time talking to NFL commissioner Roger Goddell.

Also relevant: The Australian team was supposed to play a warm up match against the New York GAA the week before heading to Dublin. The match was to be held at a recently renovated GAA field in Westchester County. The AFL pulled the plug on the game 24 hours before, citing that the field was in poor condition. There were sources associated with that game who mentioned to me that the AFL was more interested in playing at MetLife stadium, which would've been impossible due to the fact that the NFL season was there and transitioning the field wouldn't have been feasible.

But it's clear: the AFL sees a version of the game, and its brand, played at MetLife and the RoseBowl and the Bernabeu, under this format. The eventuality of this is that local teams, globally, would adopt this and not the AFL.

Speaking as someone who would be the target of this if I were new and not a 20 year follower of the game, I think it's worth a look and a try. I mean, we've been doing this under the "metro" banner for many years. I'm just worried that there would be too many "crazy" rules, but it sounds that, other than getting rid of throwins and the center bounces, it's just scaled down footy.

Also relevant; the USAFL considered branding and codifying Metro as "AFL 10s" as a tackle version of AFL 9s. It never was realized.

Speaking as someone who would be the target of this if I were new and not a 20 year follower of the game, I think it's worth a look and a try. I mean, we've been doing this under the "metro" banner for many years. I'm just worried that there would be too many "crazy" rules, but it sounds that, other than getting rid of throwins and the center bounces, it's just scaled down footy.

As I said before, 9-a-side is the bees knees to football outside of Australia.
Some trolls try to claim it's not real football, but 9-a-side plays out like 18-a-side football
except it is more intense and the mobile department has a greater influence proportionally.
Looking at 9-a-side it looks pretty much like a game of football. Here-in lies the problem.
It shouldn't. Exploiting the dimensions of the field it should look like a shootout.
In AFLX there is no room for ruckmen so it's not scaled down football it's a midfielders game.
I don't see any value in AFLX for local footballers until they have out-grown 9-a-side.
AFLX may well be a great promotional tool like ru7s or rl9s is to their codes and it may well
attract devotees to AFLX competitions but the bread&butter is always 18-a-side competition with
9-a-side as the best compromise w.r.t. ground availability.
When teams have out-grown 9-a-side then their best route is to find rugby grounds
to utilize the end-zones to produce a 120m field. That extra 20m. is critical in breaking up play.

Good luck with AFLX, I'm sure it has it's place but not as a magic bullet for local players.

I'm curious to see how this pans out.

Every major sport appears to have some sort of cut-down version, 3x3 basketballl has about to enter the Olympics for heaven's sake.

I can recall the criticism T20 copped at first, and 50 over cricket before that, if truth be known.

One thing a lot of these formats have in common is that they come closest to how we might have played these same sports as kids. How many overs were played in primary school cricket comps? About 15?

The potential benefits look pretty big:
- use infrastructure currently not used by footy (in Australia)
- provide more options for people wanting to play footy overseas - footy is a resource intensive game, the 7 aside concept on a soccer field with one ump and no centre bounces opens it up for far more people to try and play and even create their own comps
- footy during the off-season
- a game of four 10 min quarters would fit inside an hour, would be perfect for TV

Agree with many who say that AFL players will not want to participate after a long season, I think that is probably right.

But what about VFL players? What about those who missed out on the draft the year before and are still playing at a decent standard somewhere, or those just delisted, or those who have had a year off with injury - not that many players are needed. Also, don't be surprised if the game develops in such a way that non-AFL players become more adept at it than AFL players (certainly there will be no need for rucks, or even key-position players).

Why not have a format that can be played on a million grounds all over the world?

One thing a lot of these formats have in common is that they come closest to how we might have played these same sports as kids.

Yes, these games have the elements without the structure.

The potential benefits look pretty big:
- use infrastructure currently not used by footy (in Australia)
- provide more options for people wanting to play footy overseas.
- footy during the off-season
- a game of four 10 min quarters would fit inside an hour, would be perfect for TV

I don't think grounds are an issue in Australia because we are talking off-season.
It will be another option for players overseas but 9-a-side presents perfectly a.t.m.
Football during the off-season is the leverage, but I'd rather that be the domain of AFLW.
It could be a great device for second tier leagues with the use of their grounds not soccer grounds.

Why not have a format that can be played on a million grounds all over the world?

It's called 9-a-side and is the standard for general football outside of Australia.
Unfortunately the AFL called their rec footy AFL9s which confuses people.
The best innovation I have seen is a game called Ausball developed in the USA.
It's 9-a-side football played on a rectangular ground with a three second possession rule.
That makes umpiring so simple. No "prior opportunity" to worry about or "running to far".
You can play tackle or no tackle. Currently Ausball has scoring like IR but that is only to interact with the Gaels.
The Gaels adapt very quickly because of the quick disposal requirement but they are playing with the red ball
so that makes them playing our game not the round ball game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine the AFL creating its own shortened game is as much about IP as anything else.

The other thing is that once we accept its about utilising existing soccer grounds, it probably leads readily to the conclusion that if you're talking about professional footballers, 7 might be a better number than 9.

Amateurs playing an exceedingly low standard of footy overseas would not represent the ideal yardstick (no offence intended to those players).

I imagine the AFL creating its own shortened game is as much about IP as anything else.
The other thing is that once we accept its about utilising existing soccer grounds, it probably leads readily to the conclusion that if you're talking about professional footballers, 7 might be a better number than 9.

I don't think grounds are an issue in Australia because we are talking off-season.
It will be another option for players overseas but 9-a-side presents perfectly a.t.m.
Football during the off-season is the leverage, but I'd rather that be the domain of AFLW.
It could be a great device for second tier leagues with the use of their grounds not soccer grounds.

Although a lot of footy grounds are used for cricket during the Summer, so there is some sense in using soccer grounds during the off-season (and I'd think part of the strategy would be to annoy A-League clubs during their season).

Although a lot of footy grounds are used for cricket during the Summer,.

I cannot think of any WAFL or SANFL grounds that have cricket.

so there is some sense in using soccer grounds during the off-season.

Probably only one high standard ground in each of WA and SA.
and doesn't the AL soccer run in summer.
Why would you want to potentially pay rent to soccer ?

I'd think part of the strategy would be to annoy A-League clubs during their season.

What we don't need is more reason for lobby groups to demand more money for soccer.

But I don't think they are aiming this at grassroots, it will be one-off events, short tournaments, etc.

I'm sure the longer term plan is to have something which might be digestible to overseas audiences. AFL grounds are just to large, play is too confusing, overseas audiences watching on TV can't make head or tail of it, but if you have an ultra fast, open game where it's bang, bang, all over in 45 minutes, utilising a ground that exists in all corners of the world, there is something to work with.

But I don't think they are aiming this at grassroots, it will be one-off events, short tournaments, etc.
I'm sure the longer term plan is to have something which might be digestible to overseas audiences. if you have an ultra fast, open game where it's bang, bang, all over in 45 minutes, utilising a ground that exists in all corners of the world, there is something to work with.

Yes, agree, though 9-a-side utilizes grounds across the world a.t.m. and new AFLX "fans" would be directed to existing metro leagues.

AFL grounds are just to large, play is too confusing, overseas audiences watching on TV can't make head or tail of it,

That's debatable, but ignoring that remark and focussing on rectangular grounds you don't need rectangular stadia.
Many a cricket oval has been used for International soccer, International Rules and the rugbies.
Granted the atmosphere is better at a smaller stadium but it's irrelevant for television coverage.

Actually, I think the smaller ground concept would help with television coverage.

Television coverage depends on the number of cameras which is costly.
Camera lens more than compensate for distance to the action.
AFL coverage is difficult because of the action. If AFLX is quicker then that would make coverage more difficult.

Television coverage depends on the number of cameras which is costly.
Camera lens more than compensate for distance to the action.
AFL coverage is difficult because of the action. If AFLX is quicker then that would make coverage more difficult.

That's right, which is why overseas audiences (in fact, even some Australian audiences) find it hard to follow the action, the stage is such a big one, but the AFLX concept might help overcome it (I'm not saying definitively that that would be the case, but there is a chance it might help, especially as an intro to the game).

I imagine non-rugby people find it easier to follow Sevens than the full form of rugby (although the size of field doesn't come into it in that example).

That's right, which is why overseas audiences (in fact, even some Australian audiences) find it hard to follow the action, the stage is such a big one, .

That's why they introduced the 50m arcs.

the AFLX concept might help overcome it

It might but the demand for AFLX O/S is going to be be less than AFL.
You still don't need rectangular stadiums just the pitches.

I imagine non-rugby people find it easier to follow Sevens than the full form of rugby (although the size of field doesn't come into it in that example).

The rugbies are easier on TV because the camera follows the action from the sideline.
Rugby7s are stripped down but really only a bit of fun really.

Another article on AFLX featuring they hope Nat Fyfe if it gets underway.
The mooted prize money would have to be substantial to get players on board.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/fr...ne-aflx-tournament-in-september-ng-b88517608z

"There are no current plans to stage AFLX games in Perth."

Would that make it a Docklands competition ?
Would a S.O.O. be more popular than AFLX from the ten teams ?
Would a summer AFLX under lights drawn from second tier competitions be popular ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back