Portfolio AFL '99 - Design Project

Remove this Banner Ad

ClubLogos.png

I guess this is a wrap for this project, it's been really fun, hope everyone's liked everything so feel free to leave feedback and such! Cheers for everyone's feedback so far!

Freo's design was best.

North Sydney kangaroos could of been blue and white and got rid of the orange, doesn't really work imo.

Also, no royal blue for eagles home come on!!

Freo's design was best.

North Sydney kangaroos could of been blue and white and got rid of the orange, doesn't really work imo.

Also, no royal blue for eagles home come on!!

I've always preferred the navy wings, tbh.

The only factual thing I can see wrong with this is Carlton's logo/monogram.

Carlton updated to the 'other' rounded CFC. Not the one you use. It would have been good to see that one, but you did a great job with this. Seeing the logos with all the colours look great!

The new navy wings is probably the best outfit the club has produced imo

True that! Except for maybe the heritage peril about 8 years ago.

The only factual thing I can see wrong with this is Carlton's logo/monogram.

Carlton updated to the 'other' rounded CFC. Not the one you use. It would have been good to see that one, but you did a great job with this. Seeing the logos with all the colours look great!

I know! I couldn't find a good quality version, it's as if there are no vectors of it! Because my base files for the logos are like 2500x2500 on Photoshop and the best accurate logo I found was f**king tiny. :/

j
It's the newest rivalry in the AFL... the North versus the South... the North Sydney Kangaroos and the South Sydney Swans!

View attachment 184117
View attachment 184118
The twist: At the end of the 1998 season, the North Melbourne Kangaroos agreed to a deal with the AFL to move to New South Wales to give Australia's biggest city a second team: and so was born the North Sydney Kangaroos. This team encompasses all the way west to Homebush (playing their home games at the new Olympic Stadium) and all the way east to Manly- and everything in between. They maintained the original colours of blue and white, however the AFL insisted on a new colour to distinguish the new team and make it more personalised to their new area. Their guernseys incorporated a new, modern design based off their previous away guernsey featuring the yoke/stripes/kangaroo combination, with alternate colours as their travel guernsey.

As such, the Sydney Swans decided to stake their territory are renamed themselves the South Sydney Swans, claiming the CBD and everything south of it as their home territory, including their home ground of the SCG. During this time, they also rebranded their home and away guernseys to represent the South Melbourne of old- transitioning back to the thick red chevron rather than a yoke.

In all of this, a new rivalry was born, and Sydney had it's second AFL team. Both teams play twice a year for the "Port Jackson Trophy", named after the harbour that separates the two territories.
just realised a North Sydney team playing way out in GWS... might aswell have Souths play in Bondi

j

just realised a North Sydney team playing way out in GWS... might aswell have Souths play in Bondi

Is there even any decent stadiums north of the city? I know there is North Sydney Oval but that seems to be more of a rugby thing.

I was going to say how great all the designs were, until I got to the 'North Sydney Kangaroos'. Shame on you!

Now excuse me while I go watch the '99 grand final again :rolleyes:

I suppose I can make one more addition to this portfolio...

BONUS ENTRIES (NOT ACTUALLY OFFICIAL.)

NorthMelbourne.png

SydneySwans.png
The twist: The protesting of about four North Melbourne fans on some internet messageboard (who really cares, the internet will just be a passing fad...) has forced the AFL's hand into returning the Kangaroos to their heartland, leaving Sydney to claim the entire area as their own. (tl;dr: Now shoosh, you bloody Norf fans. <3 )

Last edited:
The twist: The protesting of about four North Melbourne fans on some internet messageboard (who really cares, the internet will just be a passing fad...) has forced the AFL's hand into returning the Kangaroos to their heartland, leaving Sydney to claim the entire area as their own. (tl;dr: Now shoosh, you bloody Norf fans. <3 )
Poor decision by the AFL imo, folded because 3 norf fans complained about it, harden up AFL.

View attachment 184308

I guess this is a wrap for this project, it's been really fun, hope everyone's liked everything so feel free to leave feedback and such! Cheers for everyone's feedback so far!
Only thing I didn't like was your logo for the Eagles. I don't think the gold eagle head sits well on the peril background. Looks unfinished in comparison to the rest of your logos.

Noooooo! This has just weakened the integrity of your portfolio. A North merger was a high possibility in the 90's, even with all their success. I liked the idea of them moving to Sydney. Don't get the s**t-storm about a hypothetical move in a time period that has gone and passed. Let it go people!

The portfolio is still with the North Sydney/South Sydney ideas, just whipped up those two so Norf fans could see their team in it's original beauty.
Only thing I didn't like was your logo for the Eagles. I don't think the gold eagle head sits well on the peril background. Looks unfinished in comparison to the rest of your logos.

Noooooo! This has just weakened the integrity of your portfolio. A North merger was a high possibility in the 90's, even with all their success. I liked the idea of them moving to Sydney. Don't get the s**t-storm about a hypothetical move in a time period that has gone and passed. Let it go people!

The /actual/ portfolio is still with the North Sydney/South Sydney teams. Just wanted to throw a dog a bone and give them their North Melbourne fix. ;)

As for the Eagles logo, you're dead right, and I'm gonna fix that up!

EaglesLogoPreview.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The portfolio is still with the North Sydney/South Sydney ideas, just whipped up those two so Norf fans could see their team in it's original beauty.

The /actual/ portfolio is still with the North Sydney/South Sydney teams. Just wanted to throw a dog a bone and give them their North Melbourne fix. ;)

As for the Eagles logo, you're dead right, and I'm gonna fix that up!
Make the eagle white with a yellow outline.

Actually, with the outline, maybe dont have it as a stroke, but more of another shape underneath. That way, the lines dont have any random divots where the shapes separate (if that makes sense)

Is there even any decent stadiums north of the city? I know there is North Sydney Oval but that seems to be more of a rugby thing.

I suppose I can make one more addition to this portfolio...
Well since it is a makebelive 1999 I would have thought hed say something like Brookvale Oval was taken over by AFL since the SeaEagles moved to Gosford to be the Northern Eagles idk, anything but ANZ. But having games at NSO would be awesome

Last edited:
Make the eagle white with a yellow outline.

Actually, with the outline, maybe dont have it as a stroke, but more of another shape underneath. That way, the lines dont have any random divots where the shapes separate (if that makes sense)

Yeah I know what you mean, and it's what I'd do for a professional project but I do this more as a wind-down so I'm probably just going to leave it at this point. But you are right, a shape is a much cleaner way of doing it, I just don't have the time to sit down and meticulously trace an eagle head. Although, I did try the white each earlier, just didn't look right.

Well since it is a makebelive 1999 I would have thought hed say something like Brookvale Oval was taken over by AFL since the SeaEagles moved to Gosford to be the Northern Eagles idk, anything but ANZ

Seeing as there's no Western Sydney team and Homebush is north-west of the city (even if by a fraction), I don't see the issue. This isn't the NRL where every suburb has a team, there's only two teams, and it was honestly just the first stadium I could think of that wasn't the SCG. If it would honestly make you feel better, name a different stadium and I'll edit the post.

Yeah I know what you mean, and it's what I'd do for a professional project but I do this more as a wind-down so I'm probably just going to leave it at this point. But you are right, a shape is a much cleaner way of doing it, I just don't have the time to sit down and meticulously trace an eagle head. Although, I did try the white each earlier, just didn't look right.

Seeing as there's no Western Sydney team and Homebush is north-west of the city (even if by a fraction), I don't see the issue. This isn't the NRL where every suburb has a team, there's only two teams, and it was honestly just the first stadium I could think of that wasn't the SCG. If it would honestly make you feel better, name a different stadium and I'll edit the post.
Nah mate, Im not that hung up about it. Its all a bit hypothetical fun

Awesome portfolio! I think the designs are good. A hypothetical Brisbane Bears set is awesome with their clash jumpers. And awesome Marbold-style logos! A relocated North actually parallels with North playing a couple of home games in Sydney between 1998-2000, and it would've made GWS unnecessary in that timeline, though the vetoed version is still cool. Sydney as South Sydney would scream out Rabbitohs than Swans as the South Sydney name to me is completely associated with them. These sets are all awesome: West Coast returning to the wings in OTL should've been wings all the time from 2000-2015. The Port prison bars with teal looks great! The Essendon away jumper is what it should look like in OTL, not that grey rubbish. I am happy with the St Kilda set: although I would prefer the traditional tri-panel, a cross twist is still cool and I think that could be a good guernsey for us should we use it part-time. Non-white away jerseys are more common and they make designs interesting!

TheFreightTrain, this is some sensational stuff!

Not a issue, I thought Id just put my 2 bobs in. There is BISP (Blacktown International Sports Park) which is quite significantly west, more so than Olympic Park. It was where GWS were going to play before Spotless

Awesome portfolio! I think the designs are good. A hypothetical Brisbane Bears set is awesome with their clash jumpers. And awesome Marbold-style logos! A relocated North actually parallels with North playing a couple of home games in Sydney between 1998-2000, and it would've made GWS unnecessary in that timeline, though the vetoed version is still cool. Sydney as South Sydney would scream out Rabbitohs than Swans as the South Sydney name to me is completely associated with them. These sets are all awesome: West Coast returning to the wings in OTL should've been wings all the time from 2000-2015. The Port prison bars with teal looks great! The Essendon away jumper is what it should look like in OTL, not that grey rubbish. I am happy with the St Kilda set: although I would prefer the traditional tri-panel, a cross twist is still cool and I think that could be a good guernsey for us should we use it part-time. Non-white away jerseys are more common and they make designs interesting!

TheFreightTrain, this is some sensational stuff!

Thanks so much, hey! I did consider the Rabbitohs thing, but seeing as it was a fictional thing, figured I could get away with it as a throw back to their days as South Melbourne. :)

As for the Saints guernsey, my girlfriend said the same thing. She's a Saints fan herself, so she prefers the tripanel as is, but I honestly would like to see the cross used at some stage.

Not a issue, I thought Id just put my 2 bobs in. There is BISP (Blacktown International Sports Park) which is quite significantly west, more so than Olympic Park. It was where GWS were going to play before Spotless

Which do you reckon would be more suited for a North Sydney AFL team? I was in Sydney the other week for the first time ever, stayed in Sutherland for a few nights, then in Darling Harbour and I didn't get to see much north of the river.

Thanks so much, hey! I did consider the Rabbitohs thing, but seeing as it was a fictional thing, figured I could get away with it as a throw back to their days as South Melbourne. :)
CHEER CHEER THE RED AND THE GREEN ;)

Also, not many suitable venues in "North Sydney". The oval at Cammeray is probably the only decent one without a completely new venue (St. Leonards, Chatswood, etc.)

CHEER CHEER THE RED AND THE GREEN ;)

Also, not many suitable venues in "North Sydney". The oval at Cammeray is probably the only decent one without a completely new venue (St. Leonards, Chatswood, etc.)

I'm actually a South Sydney fan as well! Being in Perth, it's a little tough seeing as I only get to see them once a year when they're here, but hey, I get to work at their games through my promotions job so at least I get a ticket, haha.

Which do you reckon would be more suited for a North Sydney AFL team? I was in Sydney the other week for the first time ever, stayed in Sutherland for a few nights, then in Darling Harbour and I didn't get to see much north of the river.
As its an alternate timeline, maybe North Sydney Oval. Its a cricket oval first and foremost, but both rugby codes and AFL have played on it before. It could be entirely possible that with a professional AFL team there, they may upgrade it to a stadium.

As its an alternate timeline, maybe North Sydney Oval. Its a cricket oval first and foremost, but both rugby codes and AFL have played on it before. It could be entirely possible that with a professional AFL team there, they may upgrade it to a stadium.
If we're going to get into a stadium debate, I'm going to say that there is no way in hell they should ever touch NSO. It's beautiful for its purpose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back