Game Day AFL Academy vs Carlton VFL, 4.10 PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Full time
Academy 13.8.86 v Blues 13.4.82
Very tight struggle in the last. Momentum shifts back and forward.
In all the Academy boys looked much much better than their outing against Port.
They were very clean, cut off many attacks and transitioned well through-out the game.

In terms of votes I'd go:
5. Jake Rogers (Gold Coast Suns Academy)
4. Ryley Sanders (Sandringham Dragons)
3. Zane Duursma (Gippsland Power)
2. Colby McKercher (Tasmania Devils)
1. Cooper Simpson (Dandenong Stingrays)

Also worth mentioning would be the games of Orlando Turner, Nate Caddy, Archer Reid and Darcy Wilson who were also involved.

Gold Coast are going to have some serious gymnastics going on to get Rogers, Read and Walter this year, all looking top 25 prospects

Historically there has never been a shortage of players wanting to leave Gold Coast so all Gold Coast need to do is make sure they get draft picks for the one or two players that want to leave this year.

Full time
They were very clean, cut off many attacks and transitioned well through-out the game.

Also worth mentioning would be the games of Orlando Turner, Nate Caddy, Archer Reid and Darcy Wilson who were also involved.
Delean and Ethan Read were both in my top 5. McKercher phased out in the second half and Duursma was pretty quiet outside of one quarter really

Historically there has never been a shortage of players wanting to leave Gold Coast so all Gold Coast need to do is make sure they get draft picks for the one or two players that want to leave this year.
Sharp will leave this year, nothing surer. Flanders is another that can't crack the team and may look elsewhere for game time.

Gold Coast are going to have some serious gymnastics going on to get Rogers, Read and Walter this year, all looking top 25 prospects
Fortunately we prepared for this and traded in several future draft picks last year. I'm confident we'll be able to cover any potential bids on the three lads but there's always the possibility to trade more picks in this year or use points for the following year.

We'll be fine. All three will be Suns at the end of this year.

Fair to say Rogers was best on in this game?

You would think they would have to split pick 8 that they currently hold. They get a 25% discount on all bids so you would think all 3 are top 25 and a few of them high 1st round then they will need around 3k points with the discount.
They currently hold 3778 points of which pick 8 is worth 1551 of them.

Full time

So the 3 Victorians in your top 5 are all Vic Country...intersting.

2 Tassie lads and a Queenslander...and nary a Vic Metro lad...

You would think they would have to split pick 8 that they currently hold. They get a 25% discount on all bids so you would think all 3 are top 25 and a few of them high 1st round then they will need around 3k points with the discount.
They currently hold 3778 points of which pick 8 is worth 1551 of them.
If we're really clever then we'll find a way to replicate what GWS did 8 years ago and trade up the draft order to secure a pick that's earlier than the predicted bid for Walter/Rogers. This is what GWS were able to do by utilising that technique:

GWS's 2016 draft haul
Pick 2 - Tim Taranto (traded McCarthy + pick 7 to Freo for pick 3, traded pick 3 & 16 to Brisbane for pick 2)
Pick 5 - Will Setterfield (matched Carlton's bid with picks 15 + 37)
Pick 14 - Harry Perryman (matched Adelaide's bid with picks 38 + 44 + 51)
Pick 20 - Isaac Cumming (matched Sydney's bid with picks 52 + 54 + 55 + 56)

We currently have nine picks throughout rounds 1-4 so I think it's pretty likely we're going to something very similar to what GWS did in 2016.

If we're really clever then we'll find a way to replicate what GWS did 8 years ago and trade up the draft order to secure a pick that's earlier than the predicted bid for Walter/Rogers. This is what GWS were able to do by utilising that technique:

GWS's 2016 draft haul
Pick 2 - Tim Taranto (traded McCarthy + pick 7 to Freo for pick 3, traded pick 3 & 16 to Brisbane for pick 2)
Pick 5 - Will Setterfield (matched Carlton's bid with picks 15 + 37)
Pick 14 - Harry Perryman (matched Adelaide's bid with picks 38 + 44 + 51)
Pick 20 - Isaac Cumming (matched Sydney's bid with picks 52 + 54 + 55 + 56)

We currently have nine picks throughout rounds 1-4 so I think it's pretty likely we're going to something very similar to what GWS did in 2016.
Good luck to the suns if you can pull it off looks a big ask but never say never 👍🏻

Good luck to the suns of you can pull it off looks a big ask but never say never 👍🏻
Our biggest issue may actually be that we have two more highly rated juniors coming through our academy next year (Nancarrow & Lombard) who were both named U16 AAs last year and we won't want to go too far into a points deficit for the 2024 season for that reason. I guess you prioritise this year though because our 2024 academy players could fall away between now and then. Our recruiting staff are going to earn their money over the next 12-18 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delean and Ethan Read were both in my top 5. McKercher phased out in the second half and Duursma was pretty quiet outside of one quarter really
I agree Delean was good but I wouldn't have him top 5. McKercher had a lot of the ball but boy does he butcher it. Duusrma had some real nice moments but agree he was quiet for the most part.

They will accumulate points the same way brisbane did last year they will be fine. All 3 very good prospects though.

My thoughts/summary:

Thought Curtain’s game has been a bit undersold, thought he looked really assured deep in defence was in the right position more than not. Didn’t get a stack of marks but hardly got beaten in the one on ones.

Duursma & Watson had some really good and impressive moments but they were pretty few and far between. You can definitely see how the two of them offer a big point of difference.

Sanders and Rogers owned the midfield. Rogers was the more damaging of the two with his zip away from the contest and his ability to find find. Sanders obviously has some of lite traits particular his vision and execution to find teammates by hand.

Wilson and McKercher had some good moments both on the inside and outside. Wilson just seems so composed with ball in hand. McKercher on the other hand seemed really rushed today, often blazing away by foot. Also realised today that he is very one sided.

Caddy and Walter both led hard at the footy. I noticed they worked really well in tandem often giving each other space and leading lanes. Caddy really needs to work on his set shot technique, a few times this year I’ve seen him miss multiple relatively easy shots.

Cooper Simpson was impressive. Sees the game really well and does all the team things well. Was one of the better ball users and decision makers today.

Tholstrup and Delean had some really good moments, but I’m not sure if I see them being elite half forwards or small forwards at AFL level.

Moir was probably the most disappointing for mine. Hope he has a good champs because he hasn’t really fired a shot at this level yet. Stevens as well didn’t have much of an impact today, hoping he gets to settle in a position prior to the champs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back