AFL affordable for the people

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we all just agree that both these ideas are terrible. Capping player wages at 100,000k? that made me rofl a little bit at how badly that would damage the game.

And taking already very low prices to a stupidly low price hurts the game as well. Costs 950 pounds to see every man united home game. Costs me around $400 to see every single afl game at the mcg.

Lower ticket prices to ridiculously low levels also damages the brand, as generally cheaper things have a stigma as not being as good, so theres actually no gaurentee it would increase crowd attendance. EG u get more excited about a concert that costs 100 bucks rather than a $2 concert.

What I would try to make affordable is PLAYING the game for the kids. I look at a number of clubs in the Melbourne area and see that their registration fees are often in excess of $150 for the season, and more if there are siblings. Add to that boots and other gear that often adds at least another $100-$150 to the package, plus expenses for travel to get to and from games and training (especially for the younger age groups). Sure, it's cheaper than The World Game in some respects, but surely parents wouldn't continue to cough up close to $300 a year for a kid to play football? (As a comparison, our fees in Qld are $60 for the season which includes shorts and socks that need to be purchased down south, plus another $10 for Under 17 players who register to play senior football).

What I would try to make affordable is PLAYING the game for the kids. I look at a number of clubs in the Melbourne area and see that their registration fees are often in excess of $150 for the season, and more if there are siblings. Add to that boots and other gear that often adds at least another $100-$150 to the package, plus expenses for travel to get to and from games and training (especially for the younger age groups). Sure, it's cheaper than The World Game in some respects, but surely parents wouldn't continue to cough up close to $300 a year for a kid to play football? (As a comparison, our fees in Qld are $60 for the season which includes shorts and socks that need to be purchased down south, plus another $10 for Under 17 players who register to play senior football).
Wow.
Sounds like the QLD clubs are pretty heavily subsidised.

try attending the elite level of most other sports overseas. The price of an AFL ticket is peanuts in comparison.

Too many peanuts for some of us non the less.
I try to get the family, (who are new to oz) to at least one match a year, we barrack for Geelong as one of my cousins played for them.
The family have yet to see a fantastic match yet so I have to choose the matches carefully or they may lose interest.

I figured that we would be able to get tickets for the Geelong match yesterday, but was disappointed at the cost, +$300 for the family (at the beginning of the school holidays was too much).

Given the attendance was shockingly only 66000, perhaps AFL could do a 50% off deal that is announced and available on the day of the match? Surely their computers could predict, a few days in advance if a finals match is not going to sell out?

I realise that the week to week games can be good value, having moved form the UK where we never made it to a 1st Division match due to cost, which is partly due to tiny stadiums.

MCG looked rahter sad on TV, such a shame.

Mickjoebill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back