Covid 19 (OPEN DISCUSSION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd encourage you to read more of my content, especially the longer form stuff. Truth be told I always wished I could of been a sports journalist which is why I try so hard for you guys to post up article length content. Sadly, just never had the nostrils for it unfortunately.

When I look around though and see so many people so desperate to engage that I have half a dozen replies this afternoon on my punctuation alone... that kind of validation is tough to find in the real world. Thanks guyz, it means so much.
Im sure you would, I mean you wrote it and all.
Problem is , you seem like an intelligent guy and all but you just dribble and I get tired of it so scroll on. The skill in conveying a message is being able to do it succinctly.

Im sure you would, I mean you wrote it and all.
Problem is , you seem like an intelligent guy and all but you just dribble and I get tired of it so scroll on. The skill in conveying a message is being able to do it succinctly.

yeah nah I don't believe in all that. One sentence responses are for witty put downs denigrating people who presume to dig past the surface level of a topic and have an actual discussion. You guys do your sniping and I'll do my "oh no! a paragraph of text how ever will I manage to read it let alone respond to anything said in it" type posts. The occasional person appreciates them, the rest can use the ignore button.

Will probably treated the same way now if a player gets gastro/flu/other

Player in question gets isolated, rest of the players go on per normal and are monitored for any symptoms they develop

Could be. I think whether we end up treating covid this casually in the medium term hinges entirely on the availability of antivirals to treat symptoms, they aren't here yet but hopefully around the corner. Early on I'd assume opening to covid will come with stay at home orders for close contacts, some degree of lockdowns. These type of thing have the potential to disrupt the season if a player returns a positive test and the whole team is a close contact and need to isolate until returning negative tests measured x days apart.

yeah nah I don't believe in all that. One sentence responses are for witty put downs denigrating people who presume to dig past the surface level of a topic and have an actual discussion. You guys do your sniping and I'll do my "oh no! a paragraph of text how ever will I manage to read it let alone respond to anything said in it" type posts. The occasional person appreciates them, the rest can use the ignore button.
Not saying it needs to be a 1 liner but you dribble a lot of s**t to say not much so I give up reading your posts.

From first points of research, to start of mass vaccination, yep. Just like it has taken 13 years for the covid19 vaccination to come 'on line' under more modern medical research conditions.

So what's this rubbish from others saying it was 1 year?

So what's this rubbish from others saying it was 1 year?
The genetic sequence of SARS-Cov-2 was published 11 Jan 2020. "Operation Warp Speed" was a US govt partnership with private firms to accelerate the release timeline of a covid19 vaccination. It ran from May 2020 to Feb 2021. The first authorization of a vaccine funded by this program happened in the UK in December 2020.

That's your 1 year timeline.

However the vaccines produced under this program used technology that had been under development since 2008, much like the Salk polio vaccine released in 1955 borrowed heavily from medical technologies developed by Kolmer beginning in 1932 as well as an influenza vaccine developed beginning 1934.

The hesitancy for covid vaccines is due to it being the first of it's type, and the apparent short testing period. As Choogler noted earlier in the midst of the Polio epidemic Salk's inactive vaccine, developed in 1952, was tested starting in 1954 and mass-deployed in 1955, which is an outstandingly quick timeline for 6 decades ago.

Obviously it doesn’t sell, but it’s a shame because there’s something great about an actual nuanced discussion that is disappearing more and more.
Take Shooshka’s post here which I like:
I forget who but somebody also raised the concept of conscription in war, which is of course a huge overreach on face value but something that societally became accepted because of the bigger picture at play. I guess it depends where you fall on Covid in terms of the severity and the big picture nature of it. People having different views on the severity of this is the basic root of most of these discussions, and I’m not sure there’ll ever be enough research or information to close that gap and bring everyone onto the same side as it relates to how severe this is or isnt.
Yes, my point there was more about the thin veneer of society or civilisation and how peoples perceived personal rights can get swept away quickly.
It's all swimmingly good in prosperous times. But when disaster strikes (natural, war, depression etc) sh*t goes south pretty fast, and so do our perceived rights. You make a good point of course re the level of severity and the gap between the two basic groups of 'pro vs. anti', how does one gauge a pandemic? Didn't the USA lose more people to Covid than the casualty list of Korean, Vietnam and all wars since, 250,000 dead so far. One country. Is that serious? It just seems that with a lot of people in these circumstances it's about a sudden shift in reality and their inability to adapt quickly to change. Adaptation, an integral part of mankind's history and survival.
Anyway, excuse me, back to football, sheesh it's been dull, come on the Nov. draft period?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I just thought it was pertinent to note that just like the polio vaccines, the covid19 vaccines didn't come from nowhere. Just like the Salk and Sabin / OPV vaccines drew from Kolmer's failure, the covid vaccines drew on work from SARS / MERS like was pointed out earlier.
Fair comment!

ScoMo has said unvaccinated tennis players can play in the Aus open, if they do 2 weeks quarantine
DAndrews has said no we won't be doing that.

ScoMo has said unvaccinated tennis players can play in the Aus open, if they do 2 weeks quarantine
DAndrews has said no we won't be doing that.
well they could some to Sydney the gate way to the world and do their two weeks, but not much hope of getting on a flight to get here.

The line between parody and real life has been blurred beyond recognition.

The above interview is so absurd you’d think it would have to be made up, yet if it was actually a comedy skit it would be dismissed as unrealistic that someone could be so ******* stupid

The line between parody and real life has been blurred beyond recognition.

The above interview is so absurd you’d think it would have to be made up, yet if it was actually a comedy skit it would be dismissed as unrealistic that someone could be so ******* stupid

I'm experiencing it right now.
My dad's wife made him sleep on the couch for 6 weeks when he told her he'd had his vaccine (told her it was his first but it was actually his second so no idea what he's going to say when it's about the time he should have had his second).
After 6 weeks she then decided that he hadn't been given the vaccine after all, but had been injected with a placebo saline solution that apparently the government are giving some people. She knows this because he hasn't become magnetic.
He's a year past retirement age but she made him go back to work after about 2 months of retirement, she's got about 4 years to go but she's going to quit her job because she refuses to get the vaccine.

I'm experiencing it right now.
My dad's wife made him sleep on the couch for 6 weeks when he told her he'd had his vaccine (told her it was his first but it was actually his second so no idea what he's going to say when it's about the time he should have had his second).
After 6 weeks she then decided that he hadn't been given the vaccine after all, but had been injected with a placebo saline solution that apparently the government are giving some people. She knows this because he hasn't become magnetic.
He's a year past retirement age but she made him go back to work after about 2 months of retirement, she's got about 4 years to go but she's going to quit her job because she refuses to get the vaccine.
She 'made him' go back to work?? pfft, I know what I'd say if my wife tried that.

Yes dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back