Covid 19 (OPEN DISCUSSION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta wonder, Biggie, did you expect this thread to go any differently?
Absolutely not.

But all parties have the right to speak as long as there no insults, abuse or Nazi references.

Simply put, if you can’t stand the thread and the discussion, unwatch the thread and move on with your life

✌🏽

Like all the other "open to nutjob" threads this one will end up locked soon enough. Rinse and repeat.

Multiple threads on the same (or similar) topic being created before the inevitable lock is like the Eagles drafting best available instead of addressing glaring needs and then sitting back and wondering where it went wrong.
I'm intrigued to hear what your draft strategy would be in this situation.

EDIT - just saw your reply to Badge

the SRP board with a bunch of randoms
... that don't tend to be too moderate from my experience.

Research how long they trialled Polio Vaccines before they came on-line.... it certainly wasn't 7 years.
Certainly wasn't, it was 23 years between John Kolmer beginning to develop a live-virus vaccine to the mass-vaccination drive in the US in mid-1955. In a way it's similar to the current 13 year period of development of mRNA vaccines; previous work adapted to a new solution. And given we're talking about polio vaccine, since 2017 the number of vaccine induced cases of the disease has outnumbered the cases of wild polio.

Certainly wasn't, it was 23 years between John Kolmer beginning to develop a live-virus vaccine to the mass-vaccination drive in the US in mid-1955. In a way it's similar to the current 13 year period of development of mRNA vaccines; previous work adapted to a new solution. And given we're talking about polio vaccine, since 2017 the number of vaccine induced cases of the disease has outnumbered the cases of wild polio.
Kolmer's trials were a disaster and did not result in the release of a vaccine. I referred specifically to the trials of a vaccine before it came on-line. The first to be approved for administration to the general population was the Salk vaccine which obviously built on previous research but had a trial period of just 12 months between April 1954 and April 1955 before being declared safe and approved for use. I understand that with any vaccine there are risk factors but the risk factors are infinitesimal compare to other things like the contraceptive pill for example.

Kolmer's trials were a disaster and did not result in the release of a vaccine. I referred specifically to the trials of a vaccine before it came on-line.
Yeah I just thought it was pertinent to note that just like the polio vaccines, the covid19 vaccines didn't come from nowhere. Just like the Salk and Sabin / OPV vaccines drew from Kolmer's failure, the covid vaccines drew on work from SARS / MERS like was pointed out earlier.

Mods: lets have a thread where all the people we don't like can comment about controversial things in one place so we can all ignore them. As long as no-one mentions the mid-century germans we promise not to close the thread.

Mods 5 minutes later: hey so why don't we expand on this idea of comparing mandatory vaccinations to the advent of conscription for military service, which I believe was necessary in order to fight the scourge of the NA....

Its a TRAP! people. All these threads go the same way, Biggie opens them then walks away, then certain other characters innocently wander in and stir up s**t for however long it takes to warrant some noble statement about the necessity of closing the thread because people with heterodox opinions are deplorable and there are just too many personal attacks and "won't someone think of the children" etc etc.

Now with that said, yes conscription. A few notes:

1. It is only necessary when the public reaches a point that the propaganda machine is broken to the point that there is just no convincing people the war is justified.

2. There is always a medical discharge option, particularly for the family members fo the elite.

3. There is also the possibility to avoid being sent to kill people on the far side of the world by claiming to be a conscientious objectioner. [who the rest of society will relentlessly shame for having moral principles]

So, yes quite similar a situation from history, if not quite so extreme as what we are seeing unfold presently. Well observed by whoever did so, and kudos to the mods who have invited a nuanced discussion on this point to continue.

Mods: lets have a thread where all the people we don't like can comment about controversial things in one place so we can all ignore them. As long as no-one mentions the mid-century germans we promise not to close the thread.

Mods 5 minutes later: hey so why don't we expand on this idea of comparing mandatory vaccinations to the advent of conscription for military service, which I believe was necessary in order to fight the scourge of the NA....

Its a TRAP! people. All these threads go the same way, Biggie opens them then walks away, then certain other characters innocently wander in and stir up sh*t for however long it takes to warrant some noble statement about the necessity of closing the thread because people with heterodox opinions are deplorable and there are just too many personal attacks and "won't someone think of the children" etc etc.
This guy gets it.

Its a TRAP! people. All these threads go the same way, Biggie opens them then walks away, then certain other characters innocently wander in and stir up sh*t for however long it takes to warrant some noble statement about the necessity of closing the thread because people with heterodox opinions are deplorable and there are just too many personal attacks and "won't someone think of the children" etc etc.

Now with that said, yes conscription. A few notes:

1. It is only necessary when the public reaches a point that the propaganda machine is broken to the point that there is just no convincing people the war is justified.

2. There is always a medical discharge option, particularly for the family members fo the elite.

3. There is also the possibility to avoid being sent to kill people on the far side of the world by claiming to be a conscientious objectioner. [who the rest of society will relentlessly shame for having moral principles]

So, yes quite similar a situation from history, if not quite so extreme as what we are seeing unfold presently. Well observed by whoever did so, and kudos to the mods who have invited a nuanced discussion on this point to continue.
Agree with much of this post, but you could help on the moderation front from refraining from the disgraceful comments directed at posters that got you banned from the previous thread and surely led to its locking.

You're saying it was 23 years before the polio vaccine came on line?

You're saying it was 23 years before the polio vaccine came on line?
From first points of research, to start of mass vaccination, yep. Just like it has taken 13 years for the covid19 vaccination to come 'on line' under more modern medical research conditions.

Agree with much of this post, but you could help on the moderation front from refraining from the disgraceful comments directed at posters that got you banned from the previous thread and surely led to its locking.

HA! Nice try Mr K but I know a double agent when I see one, and I'm not falling for it.

Ok. Ok. maybe I'll fall for it a little bit since you have insulted my honour ;)

The last thread got banned because in the week off that I had a grand total of zero people posted anything newsworthy or related to covid science and without me trawling the internet for new covid studies to discuss literally the only thing left was personal attacks, of which I had no part because I was not a party to those conversations due to serving a ban. As to any exchange of personal attacks I participated in before that, they are all still up so it would seem that mods didn't have a problem with any of those. The circumstances which led to me being banned for a week are privileged information for those who happened to be there I guess. I have no regrets for attempting to bring things to a head, personal attacks and harassment aren't an issue when they are coming from one side but will not be tolerated coming from a deplorable and that is fine with me, I thought I'd make the point and I am perfectly fine to have done my time and to come back and leave the personal attacks to the experts. I said as much and I mean it, personal attacks don't interest me and there is much of interest to do with the pandemic that could be discussed instead. Just for the record though, as explained to me in private chat my ban was due to undermining the personal integrity of mods by pointing to double standards so maybe go easy on the characterisation you've provided above about disgraceful comments as its not entirely accurate.

Now, lets hear more about the much of my post you agree with. Do mandatory vaccines remind you in some way of military conscription? How so?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't agree with your lack of paragraphs.

Go back in time and browse Internet forums on your desktop like I do then, its still 2012 for us normal persons/boomers and its glorious.

I you want to read my posts on your mobile phone like some sort of sadist I have no sympathy for you. Ignore list is your friend, how any of you still haven't used it yet is absolutely beyond me.

Go back in time and browse Internet forums on your desktop like I do then, its still 2012 for us normal persons/boomers and its glorious.

I you want to read my posts on your mobile phone like some sort of sadist I have no sympathy for you. Ignore list is your friend, how any of you still haven't used it yet is absolutely beyond me.
Hey buddy. I am using a desktop. Cheers.

Just for the record though, as explained to me in private chat my ban was due to undermining the personal integrity of mods by pointing to double standards so maybe go easy on the characterisation you've provided above about disgraceful comments as its not entirely accurate.
I’m not sure what false badge of honour you’re wanting here and I know you’re only posting to get a response so congratulations, here it is.

Your ban had nothing to do with pointing out a double standard or being a voice for the voiceless, and had everything to do with the fact that you went on a bizarre personal tirade culminating in saying, among other things, that I would work well on the suicide hotline if the aim was to get people to go through with it.

This fictionalised PMs exonerating you that you’ve just made up aside, the only reason your account is still here is because I said to leave it alone when some of the higher up mods (eg the full website ones, not Eagles mods) said you should be perma banned for it and I said to leave it for not wanting to look precious.

Feel free to continue posting as you like, that’s why we’re all here, but some sort of champion of the underdog martyr you’re not. Put down the bone with the mods, and get on with it.

Awesome. What type?
Work supplied Dell Optiplex 9020, exact specs are unknown but I'm sure if you're really interested you could google it. Monitor is a Dell P2214H using a fairly standard 1080p res. Browser is Firefox, using default zoom settings.

Do you know what a vaccine does?
Well before the pandemic we all had a pretty good idea through experience what vaccines did.

Most so call anti-vaxers have had all their vaccinations bar the covid vax

Now the goal posts have been moved significantly as to what a vaccine should do to the point i think they even re wrote the definition of vaccine .

I’m not sure what false badge of honour your wanting here and I know you’re only posting to get a response so congratulations, here it is.

Your ban had nothing to do with pointing out a double standard or being a voice for the voiceless, and had everything to do with the fact that you went on a bizarre personal tirade culminating in saying, among other things, that I would work well on the suicide hotline if the aim was to get people to go through with it.

This fictionalised PMs exonerating you that you’ve just made up aside, the only reason your account is still here is because I said to leave it alone when some of the higher up mods (eg the full website ones, not Eagles mods) said you should be perma banned for it and I said to leave it for not wanting to look precious.

Feel free to continue posting as you like, that’s why we’re all here, but some sort of champion of the underdog martyr you’re not. Put down the bone with the mods, and get on with it.

Mate I didn't bring it up, if you want go delete MrKK's post to me and the reply. The posts you are referring to were left up for all to see for a time including your forthright response. The ban came after I replied to that agreeing to abide by the no personal attacks standard you set for the thread from that point on, and attempting to bury the hatchet. Whether you feel it was justified or not the things you said in your reply also far overstepped community guidelines so lets not both revise history here. I had a conversation with the owner of this website too, and in addition received relayed explanation as to the ban via a moderator on this board as well. To say that I am making that stuff up is just a weird flex. I have no interest in talking to you, if I could put you on ignore I would but I can't. As I said to you before, happy to let bygones be bygones you are overthinking how much I care how you run the board, I don't. But please recognise that its a bit hard for these type of conversations not to spring up when despite being a mod you are among the most opinionated and defensive posters on this board, just let a few through to the keeper from time to time I literally didn't even mention your name anywhere above- and deliberately so. Instead you've put me in a position where you're calling me a liar for vaguely mentioning pm's that did actually happen and completely revisiting a disagreement from months ago that I purposefully avoided detailing. So when you say leave the mods alone, do you mean literally don't talk to you when you are direct quoting me and editorialising my posts with your own take? You've said your piece, I'm a piece of s**t and the only reason I am allowed to continue to post here is because you want to look like the better person. Ok fine, agreed. Lets move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back