General Bombers Talk AFL agrees to fixture more games at the MCG – Will our home games be moved?

Remove this Banner Ad

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I noticed some interesting news as part of AFL GF announcement yesterday. MCG getting more home and away games.

Are Essendon puttingtheir hand up for a share of these extra games (home)? If not, then why not? 03C81FFD-B9E4-49A7-9D40-590770B366A8.jpeg

I noticed some interesting news as part of AFL GF announcement yesterday. MCG getting more home and away games.

Are Essendon puttingtheir hand up for a share of these extra games (home)? If not, then why not?View attachment 1223535
8 games can’t really go to clubs that are already based at the MCG, since it would be additional.

So that means probably Essendon and Carlton games get refixtured there a little more often since both clubs have a split arrangement between Marvel and the G, possibly some Geelong games if they can’t play them in Geelong.

Western Bulldogs, NM, St Kilda are the other teams based at Docklands which could have home games moved, but that’s only likely to be if they are hosting a larger Melbourne club, a marquee game, or if it is a top of the table clash with another smaller Vic club (e.g. Dees/Dogs if it was this year). So maybe Good Friday, Anzac Eve, possibly Maddies Match. Big Freeze is already at the G. No point moving a game that only gets 25k attendance though.

Are Essendon puttingtheir hand up for a share of these extra games (home)? If not, then why not?View attachment 1223535
Would depend on what the contract status is with Marvel. I have no idea where it is now at and if we still get the best deal of all clubs for playing Marvel as we where the first to sign on. Given the AFL now own Marvel the deal may well have changed or can be changed. Personally I like Marvel. Transport is easy , in Winter with the roof closed it is comfortable and with 30,000 in the atmosphere is good. Sure it has not got the nostalgia and aura of the MCG but as a venue is is as good as or better than most I have been to . The MCG will always be the special ground but in saying that give me Marvel in June or July on a Saturday night when it is 10 degrees and raining any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I also think it is a better venue to play the interstate sides in as the MCG can be pretty flat with around 25,000 in the house .

Would seem a win/win IMO.

Now that the AFL owns Marvel, there's less pressure to keep Essendon there as the anchor tenant, and Essendon has been crying out for years to play more games at the 'G.

We're 7/4 now, be more than happy to move to a 6/5 or even 5/6 split.

MCG is better to actually watch football. But Marvel is easier to get to if you have shitty public transport with bus replacements all the time and therefore have to drive.
I prefer watching the game at Marvel as well tbh. No bad seats for mine where as MCG it can feel like you're in another postcode watching the game.

I prefer watching the game at Marvel as well tbh. No bad seats for mine where as MCG it can feel like you're in another postcode watching the game.
Oh ya I hate level 4 at the MCG 😂 But all the best memories are at the G for me. The atmosphere is better, idk. There’s just a thing about it

Oh ya I hate level 4 at the MCG 😂 But all the best memories are at the G for me. The atmosphere is better, idk. There’s just a thing about it

Think you can both be right with this one, I love the G but have seen plenty of crackers at Marvel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being a Victorian and watching Essendon games on tv here in Perth for the last 15 years I would be glad to never see another Marvelled game again.

The MCG is where the bomber crowds flock to against the other super power clubs.

Save Etttihad for a few ESS vs Noof/Saints and any interstate clubs.
Noof

I like a mix. The MCG is great when its full and its not too cold. But as soon as the crowd falls away, the atmosphere drops off. And it gets very very cold at the G.

Give me Autumn and August games at the G against big teams, and Marvel games for June and July against minows.

Also, I find it ridiculous the idea all the good memories are at the G. Hird's hugging the crowd, beating Sydney close, and a host of other great games and memories are from Docklands.

Also, I find it ridiculous the idea all the good memories are at the G. Hird's hugging the crowd, beating Sydney close, and a host of other great games and memories are from Docklands.
I said "all the good memories are at the MCG for me". I'm sorry if my subjective experience of football games seems ridiculous to you?

I said "all the good memories are at the MCG for me". I'm sorry if my subjective experience of football games seems ridiculous to you?
It does imply to me you either don't go to Docklands, or you've had really really bad luck with which games you've missed.

It does imply to me you either don't go to Docklands, or you've had really really bad luck with which games you've missed.
I go to both, I have a reserved seat at both, and like them for different reasons.

Maybe you’ve had really bad luck with the games you’ve missed at the MCG too? Or had the displeasure of sitting in the rafters on level 4 (which short of Anzac Day is rarely a good atmosphere).

I’ve been to both for functions too, when the stadium is completely empty. The MCG still has vibes. There’s just something about it - Windy Hill has it too, but the newer buildings don’t.

Maybe we can just agree that perspectives differ without calling it ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back