AFL Airplane

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
If the New England Patriots can afford a couple of Boeing 737s why can't the AFL buy one for all the teams to move around the country? I'll bet there are few going cheap and there are plenty of pilots available!
Not sure if you noticed but the AFL bank balance took a huge hit last year, and they had to take out a 600M loan to keep the competition going.
Buying and running planes, would take money out of their pocket.
The Virgin sponsorship and using their planes, puts money into their pocket.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Also, in the Patriots case, it was the club itself who bought the planes, it wasn't the NFL.
I suppose AFL clubs could buy their own planes, but they aren't making that sort of money, and the AFL contract with Virgin might preclude it. i.e it might stipulate that all clubs need to use Virgin planes.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Not sure if you noticed but the AFL bank balance took a huge hit last year, and they had to take out a 600M loan to keep the competition going.

It did that.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

How much is the Virgin sponsorship..............oh wait! :rolleyes: :think: :sick:

Next thing you'll want it for the longer flights, 2+hours might be a start if the AFLPA were dinkum.

Yeah, do it by flight length, instead of the current system where only 2 clubs get extra business class seats fover what all other clubs get or every flight they take.

Someone should tell the AFLPA that it's the AFL, not the WAFL.

It's WA-bias I tell you!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Yeah, do it by flight length, instead of the current system where only 2 clubs get extra business class seats fover what all other clubs get or every flight they take.

Someone should tell the AFLPA that it's the AFL, not the WAFL.

It's WA-bias I tell you!

Remember to remind Marsh no one gets paid for travel. It wouldnt be fair ....

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Co-pilot De Goey reporting for duty.

main-qimg-ca2fe104f279b04ce4de0150979e076d

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Virgin is still listed on the AFL website for all it's worth.

Which Virgin are they referring to, the one that went into administration ?

Sale of Virgin Australia to Bain Capital during COVID pandemic was like no other in Australian corporate history, says administrator - ABC News

Also, in the Patriots case, it was the club itself who bought the planes, it wasn't the NFL.
I suppose AFL clubs could buy their own planes, but they aren't making that sort of money, and the AFL contract with Virgin might preclude it. i.e it might stipulate that all clubs need to use Virgin planes.

Also helps that the pats owner is worth almost 7 billion dollars
Which is prob about 7 times the value of the entire AFL

Pretty sure it's contractual. Even if the current deal has lapsed, it'd be the AFL stopping clubs in order to put them in a better position for future contract negotiations.

Do they seriously cost that much?
New, without any discounts for buying multiple, yes.
I just saw online you could buy a 25year old 737-500 for about $2m Australian

westie

All Australian
Jul 9, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Paynter Dixon Torana
It did that.
But I heard this morning that the Patriots couldn't afford Tom Brady

Back