AFL Airplane

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know, whichever one that the AFL wants to advertise. Virgin Australia (whichever one is running the current website) also lists their sponsorship with the AFL, Carlton and Gold Coast but not Supercars who they stopped sponsoring after Bain took over.

I don't know, whichever one that the AFL wants to advertise. Virgin Australia (whichever one is running the current website) also lists their sponsorship with the AFL, Carlton and Gold Coast but not Supercars who they stopped sponsoring after Bain took over.

natter smatter.. we are gloriously endowed ... shining light is a shindig...

Have always thought Eagles and Dockers could surely come to an arrangement with a big mining company. Could kit out a plane with recovery beds, bigger chairs etc.

Have always thought Eagles and Dockers could surely come to an arrangement with a big mining company. Could kit out a plane with recovery beds, bigger chairs etc.
AFL would probably block it saying it's unfair unless every team can have it. AFL really need to turf the clubs who can't stand on their own feet so the successful (financially) clubs can improve their resources

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL would probably block it saying it's unfair unless every team can have it. AFL really need to turf the clubs who can't stand on their own feet so the successful (financially) clubs can improve their resources
Could work if the combined Dockers / Eagles ownership of the plane then leased back to AFL for other traveling teams into WA, thereby keeping "Equality". The Eagles and Dockers always alternate home/away games so then for example if Dockers are playing in Melbourne it fly's there dropping Dockers off and then picks up the Melbourne based team that is playing Eagles in Perth and then returns the same later in the weekend. The plane then goes back to FIFO duties mid week.
Believe it not I've actually done something close to this in real life. In 2013 when the Dockers got in the GF a mate I played footy with worked for a FIFO airline and organised a Focker 100 (The Docker Focker!) to leave Perth at 5am on Saturday, fly into Melbourne and then fly home later that night after the game.
I had every intention of running down the main street of Freo at Midnight with a winning GF entry ticket in my hand screaming "I was there F..k.rs". As it was I passed out in an beer induced deep sleep somewhere over Adelaide :) Bloody Hawks ......

Yeah that sounds like a woe is me sort of argument typical of the west.

Next they will be complaining that the AFL won’t let them host a grand final, a year after they had the chance to host one, if they really wanted to.

Sponsorship, same as our training ground

Thought you were suggesting supplying a plane, fitted out for 20 return trips east a year.

Sponsoring Alliance as you suggest or similar could work for the WA clubs.

If Rex were to fly their 737s cross country.

Last edited:
A new 737 would cost about $100 million or so.....plus maintenance and running costs which wouldn't be cheap.

Not worth it. May as well just charter one when you need it.

Plenty of used ones about, don't need new. Hell, Virgin have parked up their Airbus 330s with the lay flat seats.

A Virgin 737 holds about 180 people, 8 business, about 18 economy-X and the rest cattle class. Make the whole lot economy-X or just pull every 2nd row out. There are plenty of redundant aircrews who I'm sure would like the work. Hangar them and maintain them at Avalon. How many would they need, 1 or 2?

Virgin also operate Fokker 100s and maybe Fokker 70s which is what Alliance use (I used to fly with them fifo in WA). With Virgin saying they're going to be flying 737s exclusively then maybe they've got some surplus Fokkers, unless they're still going to be using them as chartered fifo flights in WA, I see them on the tarmac at T2 in Perth. We fly on Airbus 320s with Virgin but I think they're exclusively fifo charter flights

You'd have to sit down and really nut out a fixture to maximise their use efficiently though. You'd need to fly 8 teams per week, there and back. One from each of WA, SA, NSW and Qld and then 4 Vic teams to fly to those locations as visiting teams.

It would probably be too expensive, you'd think they'd probably need 2 to cater for the whole league. Schedule all the showdowns / derbies for the same weekend so the planes won't be needed and any heavy maintenance can be done during those breaks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back