Ogopogo

All Australian
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Oilers, Mariners, Clippers
Hello all. I really discovered the game of Australian football back in 2013 and have experienced six full seasons of the AFL. It's hard to believe, 6 years of staying up late here in Canada to watch my club - the Gold Coast Suns.

Some of you may have spent five minutes to read my post back then about the joy I had in discovering the sport: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-afl-a-foreigners-perspective.1011811/#post-28638361

Today, I am posting for a very different reason. I believe the business of the AFL is flawed and the league is broken. What do I mean by that?

As a Suns fan, I have experienced a lot of losing the past 6 years. 38-93-1 has been the Suns' record since I started following the club back in 2013. Many nights, up at 1, 2, 3 am watching the Suns play...the house was quiet it was three hours of uninterrupted bliss each week. Yes, the losses are hard to take but it made the victories all the sweeter.

As much as I love the sport, the business side has to work to make the sport worth watching. Pro sport leagues like the EPL really don't appeal to me that much because the richest clubs compete for the championship each year while 14 or 15 others can only hope to not be relegated. The clubs are either first class or no class and most everybody knows where their club stands. I like Everton, for the simple fact they came to Edmonton to play a friendly about 10 years back, but, I know they will likely never win the league. Money rules and Everton is not one of the rich clubs.

Of course, the AFL is different. It is more like NHL hockey where everybody has a chance because of a salary cap and draft structure - that is equal opportunity and that is what every sports fan craves. My team doesn't have to win every year, they just need equal opportunity with finances and other inequalities levelled. Each club could have any player, if they were smart enough to draft or trade for them; rich clubs and poor clubs are on level ground because of the cap.

That is what I thought the AFL was - equal opportunity and one day, the Suns will get their chance at a flag. It was exciting, I was a new fan so I selected a new club to follow. I was going to grow with them and share in the hardships as well as the success. What I have discovered, six years later, is that there isn't an equal chance for success. With the current structure of the football business, the Suns will likely never have a chance to compete for a flag.

Yes, the Suns were given concessions at the start of their existence - which is only fair. When you are starting a new club from nothing, you need to toss them a bone to begin. The interesting thing with that bone is, the bone walked away! Players the Suns had drafted high, the players that were here build this club from nothing into a financially viable, competitive side, decided rather than put in the hard work of building a winner on in Queensland, they would rather take the easy route and go to an established winning club.

Jaeger O'Meara, Dion Prestia, Charlie Dixon, Adam Saad and now Tom Lynch, Steven May and more, all threw in the towel and asked to be traded. All of them refused to be adults and take on the responsibility of building a winner at a new club - they preferred to be passengers elsewhere. Granted, Gary Ablett spent many years here trying to build a winner but, eventually bailed as well.

The problem with the AFL is that the league allows the inmates to run the asylum. Some will argue that the players have the right to play where they want but, that damages the equity of the game. How can you possibly build a fan base in a new market when all of the best players decide to leave? Some are "home sick", some want to win now but really, they are abdicating their responsibility to the people of the Gold Coast. They are cowards; essentially killing football in the region.

Gold Coast is a thriving area that is a great market for football. All they need is hope, a chance, maybe the opportunity to play finals and they can capture the attention of the entire city. Hope is what we had in 2014 when the Suns finished just 8 points shy of a finals spot. The games were exciting and the future looked bright...but, key players kept asking to leave. A beautiful city, with a great opportunity in front of them and key players would rather run back to Melbourne - the path of least resistance. Why pioneer, why build something great when you could just ride as a passenger on the hard work of others?

Of course, the Suns receive high draft picks in exchange for their best players....who then turn into good players that want to leave as well. The Suns are little more than a farm club, supplying the Victorian teams. There is no hope. No draft pick compensates or satisfies...we know the future, those players will leave.

The point of footy on the Gold Coast is to tap into a new market, spread the game and to make money long-term. That is a noble cause, there is nothing wrong with those goals. Given enough time and success, footy can be a Gold Coast passion as is rugby. Many in Victoria will trash the club and call for its demise. To what gain would be that demise? How is the game of football better if there is no longer an AFL club on the Gold Coast? Is there anything at all to be gained by the folding of the Gold Coast Suns - other than to stroke the egos of some closed-minded Victorians? The truth is, there is much to be gained by the success of the Suns and nothing to be gained by the failure. The fact that people delight in the lack of success on the Gold Coast is puzzling. They must have some sick, twisted elitist attitude to think football belongs to them alone and cannot be shared.

As it stands, fans like me are at a crossroads. 6 seasons ago, I fell in love with the sport and enjoy it immensely...but, when my club has no chance of ever winning flag or making finals, it is hard to get excited to stay up very late in Canada to watch them get thumped each week. I can only imagine how hard it is for members to continue to pay good money to attend games that always end in devastating losses. The current state of the Suns is killing the fan base it was once building. I will admit, I probably only watched 2 of the last 11 Suns games this year - by fluke, one was the win over Sydney. It it just too difficult to be disappointed every week, knowing the light at the end of the tunnel is actually a train.

At this point, I am not sure I will renew my AFL Global subscription for next season. I probably won't buy more Suns merchandise and I may only follow the scores on the AFL app on my phone. I see no reason to get excited for the 2019 season...more beatings...more players wanting out...more useless draft picks that turn into players we develop for Richmond or Hawthorn.

I wish you all well next season and beyond. My six-year AFL joy ride was incredible but it appears to be winding down. Suns football used to be can't-miss TV for me, now it feels like too much effort to stay up late and watch. I will be a Suns fan for as long as they exist, it is just no longer fun to be an "active" fan.

Maybe one day the league will change and the Suns will be great. Maybe then I will be glued to AFL Global each week like the old days. It would be nice but, it seems like little more than a foolish pipe dream.

The sport is still great - one of the most entertaining on the planet. I may still watch occasionally. I am sure to take heat for my thoughts but really, equal opportunity for all clubs is what makes a sports league work. Without that opportunity, the league is failing its paying customers.

Many will see this as me whining but, it is really the AFL alienating a fan base and losing the money we spend.

End rant. I feel better now.

Last edited:
Hello all. I really discovered the game of Australian football back in 2013 and have experienced six full seasons of the AFL. It's hard to believe, 6 years of staying up late here in Canada to watch my club - the Gold Coast Suns.

Some of you may have spent five minutes to read my post back then about the joy I had in discovering the sport: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-afl-a-foreigners-perspective.1011811/#post-28638361

Today, I am posting for a very different reason. I believe the business of the AFL is flawed and the league is broken. What do I mean by that?

As a Suns fan, I have experienced a lot of losing the past 6 years. 38-93-1 has been the Suns' record since I started following the club back in 2013. Many nights, up at 1, 2, 3 am watching the Suns play...the house was quiet it was three hours of uninterrupted bliss each week. Yes, the losses are hard to take but it made the victories all the sweeter.

As much as I love the sport, the business side has to work to make the sport worth watching. Pro sport leagues like the EPL really don't appeal to me that much because the richest clubs compete for the championship each year while 14 or 15 others can only hope to not be relegated. The clubs are either first class or no class and most everybody knows where their club stands. I like Everton, for the simple fact they came to Edmonton to play a friendly about 10 years back, but, I know they will likely never win the league. Money rules and Everton is not one of the rich clubs.

Of course, the AFL is different. It is more like NHL hockey where everybody has a chance because of a salary cap and draft structure - that is equal opportunity and that is what every sports fan craves. My team doesn't have to win every year, they just need equal opportunity with finances and other inequalities levelled. Each club could have any player, if they were smart enough to draft or trade for them; rich clubs and poor clubs are on level ground because of the cap.

That is what I thought the AFL was - equal opportunity and one day, the Suns will get their chance at a flag. It was exciting, I was a new fan so I selected a new club to follow. I was going to grow with them and share in the hardships as well as the success. What I have discovered, six years later, is that there isn't an equal chance for success. With the current structure of the football business, the Suns will likely never have a chance to compete for a flag.

Yes, the Suns were given concessions at the start of their existence - which is only fair. When you are starting a new club from nothing, you need to toss them a bone to begin. The interesting thing with that bone is, the bone walked away! Players the Suns had drafted high, the players that were here build this club from nothing into a financially viable, competitive side, decided rather than put in the hard work of building a winner on in Queensland, they would rather take the easy route and go to an established winning club.

Jaeger O'Meara, Dion Prestia, Charlie Dixon, Gary Ablett, Adam Saad and now Tom Lynch, Steven May and more, all threw in the towel and asked to be traded. All of them refused to be adults and take on the responsibility of building a winner at a new club - they preferred to be passengers elsewhere. Granted, Ablett spent many years here trying to lead the charge but, eventually bailed as well.

The problem with the AFL is that the league allows the inmates to run the asylum. Some will argue that the players have the right to play where they want but, that damages the equity of the game. How can you possibly build a fan base in a new market when all of the best players decide to leave? Some are "home sick", some want to win now but really, they are abdicating their responsibility to the people of the Gold Coast. They are cowards; essentially killing football in the region.

Gold Coast is a thriving area that is a great market for football. All they need is hope, a chance, maybe the opportunity to play finals and they can capture the attention of the entire city. Hope is what we had in 2014 when the Suns finished just 8 points shy of a finals spot. The games were exciting and the future looked bright...but, key players kept asking to leave. A beautiful city, with a great opportunity in front of them and key players would rather run back to Melbourne - the path of least resistance. Why pioneer, why build something great when you could just ride as a passenger on the hard work of others?

Of course, the Suns receive high draft picks in exchange for their best players....who then turn into good players that want to leave as well. The Suns are little more than a farm club, supplying the Victorian teams. There is no hope. No draft pick compensates or satisfies...we know the future, those players will leave.

The point of footy on the Gold Coast is to tap into a new market, spread the game and to make money long-term. That is a noble cause, there is nothing wrong with those goals. Given enough time and success, footy can be a Gold Coast passion as is rugby. Many in Victoria will trash the club and call for its demise. To what gain would be that demise? How is the game of football better if there is no longer an AFL club on the Gold Coast? Is there anything at all to be gained by the folding of the Gold Coast Suns - other than to stroke the egos of some closed-minded Victorians? The truth is, there is much to be gained by the success of the Suns and nothing to be gained by the failure. The fact that people delight in the lack of success on the Gold Coast is puzzling. They must have some sick, twisted elitist attitude to think football belongs to them alone and cannot be shared.

As it stands, fans like me are at a crossroads. 6 seasons ago, I fell in love with the sport and enjoy it immensely...but, when my club has no chance of ever winning flag or making finals, it is hard to get excited to stay up very late in Canada to watch them get thumped each week. I can only imagine how hard it is for members to continue to pay good money to attend games that always end in devastating losses. The current state of the Suns is killing the fan base it was once building. I will admit, I probably only watched 2 of the last 11 Suns games this year - by fluke, one was the win over Sydney. It it just too difficult to be disappointed every week, knowing the light at the end of the tunnel is actually a train.

At this point, I am not sure I will renew my AFL Global subscription for next season. I probably won't buy more Suns merchandise and I may only follow the scores on the AFL app on my phone. I see no reason to get excited for the 2019 season...more beatings...more players wanting out...more useless draft picks that turn into players we develop for Richmond or Hawthorn.

I wish you all well next season and beyond. My six-year AFL joy ride was incredible but it appears to be winding down. Suns football used to be can't-miss TV for me, now it feels like too much effort to stay up late and watch. I will be a Suns fan for as long as they exist, it is just no longer fun to be an "active" fan.

Maybe one day the league will change and the Suns will be great. Maybe then I will be glued to AFL Global each week like the old days. It would be nice but, it seems like little more than a foolish pipe dream.

The sport is still great - one of the most entertaining on the planet. I may still watch occasionally. I am sure to take heat for my thoughts but really, equal opportunity for all clubs is what makes a sports league work. Without that opportunity, the league is failing its paying customers.

Many will see this as me whining but, it is really the AFL alienating a fan base and losing the money we spend.

I get your commitment - Im in LA and have done games live since 2006. Not missed any so the 1,2,3 am thing each week has been brutal. You have my respect for that - me being a Geelong supporter with a FAR better Win/loss ratio - I can tell you the physical pain the next day after no or little sleep is well abated by the wins. The losses are really rough. But regardless - respect.

GO Catters

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Love this. The tribalism of Victorians in supposed equitable media is insane. Fair enough in the local rags such as the HUN, but when a supposed all-encompassing program such as 360 reverts to furthering the VFL agenda it's fairly off-putting.

Some may say that's where the audience is, but it's the single limiting factor in the growth of the game. You don't attract new fans (customers) by rubbishing them.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Love this. The tribalism of Victorians in supposed equitable media is insane. Fair enough in the local rags such as the HUN, but when a supposed all-encompassing program such as 360 reverts to furthering the VFL agenda it's fairly off-putting.

Some may say that's where the audience is, but it's the single limiting factor in the growth of the game. You don't attract new fans (customers) by rubbishing them.

I would love for the sport to spread but it leaves a sick taste in my mouth that loyal football states such as Tasmania are unrewarded despite having a huge historical contribution and influence to the game.

blckcaviar

Team Captain
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Mate I don't blame you for not renewing your membership, but you did bring this on yourself by willingly choosing the GCS

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
I would love for the sport to spread but it leaves a sick taste in my mouth that loyal football states such as Tasmania are unrewarded despite having a huge historical contribution and influence to the game.
Tassie's been rubbished for years, so much so that they been convinced they can't support a team.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tassie's been rubbished for years, so much so that they been convinced they can't support a team.

AFL has neglected Tasmania and left them to rot whilst bashing their heads against the wall trying to tap into a market that gives no s**t about the 'GayFL'.

One of the worst decisions the AFL has made.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Jaeger O'Meara, Dion Prestia, Charlie Dixon, Adam Saad and now Tom Lynch, Steven May and more, all threw in the towel and asked to be traded. All of them refused to be adults and take on the responsibility of building a winner at a new club - they preferred to be passengers elsewhere. Granted, Gary Ablett spent many years here trying to build a winner but, eventually bailed as well.

Thanks for your contribution mate, it's a tough ride for Suns supporters especially now. The thing is though the GCS admin just made a whole series of bad choices which mean the club is in a death spiral:

Put all their eggs in the Ablett basket, one player cannot carry a team. I think the only other decent pickup was been Harbrow and credit to him.

Drafted the wrong type of players - too many outside players.

Had a bad medical department which mismanaged chronic injuries which is a major factor in so many draftees leaving in past years.

Allowed the culture to go bad under McKenna - but he had them winning so maybe don't sack him fix the culture.

Made an epic bad call to hire Eade, who is another reason players wanted to leave.

And now even loyal players are thinking I have played half my career for nothing I want to make something of it elsewhere.

So they are pretty much back to square 1, whereas GWS made a lot of good decisions and are in a very different place.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

Well lobby your club to reward them by making your home base in Tassie.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond

Maybe the suns should look to the club up the road? A few years ago everyone wanted out and they had no future now they have good people running the joint it seems everyone wants to go there.

Ogopogo

All Australian
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams

Why do they not fill the stadium when the Hawks play in Tasmania? Too small of a population or, is the passion for football not as much as we think?

Ogopogo

All Australian
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Mate I don't blame you for not renewing your membership, but you did bring this on yourself by willingly choosing the GCS

I felt it best to choose a new club as I was a new fan. It was the Suns or Giants and I went with the Suns.

The Suns aren't in their horrible position due to an inequitable league, they're mostly there due to bad management and some bad luck. Problem is these are only evident in hindsight, and the further along you go, the harder it is to come back from.

You can't blame Lynch or May for wanting out, they've served 8 years and realise that the odds of it turning around in the next 3 are slim. The culture is broken and needs to be fixed, once that happens things will improve, Brisbane are a prime example of this. It's amazing what effect just some appearance of a bright future will have on a potential flight risk.

Richmond were a rabble in 2010 (and overall pretty bad for the preceding 28 years), Melbourne were pathetic in 2012-13, Dogs were supposedly a basket case 2 years before they won a flag, and apart from a few finals appearances Carlton have been in a hole for 15 years. On the other hand the Swans play in a developing market and have missed the finals once in 15 years.
This isn't systematic, it's what happens when clubs make a string of bad decisions, and it usually takes awhile to come back from that. Shifting the blame elsewhere will never fix the problem though.

From personal experience, when you stick it out through the s**t years, the payoff is worth it.

Ogopogo

All Australian
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
What's the difference between a player leaving due to lack of success and a fan leaving for the same reason?

Agreed. Are you suggesting I am leaving the Suns as a fan? No, that is not correct - I am still a Suns fan, I just won't be as active as previously. The Suns are my team.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Why do they not fill the stadium when the Hawks play in Tasmania? Too small of a population or, is the passion for football not as much as we think?

Hawthorn is placeholder playing in lieu of their own actual team being there. If they aren't actual Hawthorn supporters what reasons do they have to make the trip to attend the game.

Ogopogo

All Australian
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
The Suns aren't in their horrible position due to an inequitable league, they're mostly there due to bad management and some bad luck. Problem is these are only evident in hindsight, and the further along you go, the harder it is to come back from.

You can't blame Lynch or May for wanting out, they've served 8 years and realise that the odds of it turning around in the next 3 are slim. The culture is broken and needs to be fixed, once that happens things will improve, Brisbane are a prime example of this. It's amazing what effect just some appearance of a bright future will have on a potential flight risk.

Richmond were a rabble in 2010 (and overall pretty bad for the preceding 28 years), Melbourne were pathetic in 2012-13, Dogs were supposedly a basket case 2 years before they won a flag, and apart from a few finals appearances Carlton have been in a hole for 15 years. On the other hand the Swans play in a developing market and have missed the finals once in 15 years.
This isn't systematic, it's what happens when clubs make a string of bad decisions, and it usually takes awhile to come back from that. Shifting the blame elsewhere will never fix the problem though.

From personal experience, when you stick it out through the s**t years, the payoff is worth it.

Yes, the Suns have made some bad decisions but, the AFL does let players dictate where they would like to play. That tilts the league in Victoria's favor. They need to adjust how trades are handled and provide the clubs with more control.

Back