Resource AFL and Club Sponsorship News

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Avoiding paying these workers what they are worth, so wanna ticket to the footy .... not a good look for Hostplus, an industry fund.
It's certainly common practice. My first footy game as a five year old in a corporate box, my dad was a farm hand for a big produce company. Everyone was allowed to put in for games and would get notified a week out if they got tickets. It's not illegal or corrupt for a business to spend money like this. But yes, you would hope workers were paid properly first and foremost.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
It's certainly common practice. My first footy game as a five year old in a corporate box, my dad was a farm hand for a big produce company. Everyone was allowed to put in for games and would get notified a week out if they got tickets. It's not illegal or corrupt for a business to spend money like this. But yes, you would hope workers were paid properly first and foremost.

Not illegal, nor corrupt & you are the first to raise it, but not a good look for an industry fund that advertises the virtues of this super structure, aka lower cost.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Very good to have them come aboard. I’m sure some Bombers fans will whinge but personally if their money is good I’m happy. A fantastic deal in this economic climate and shows that atleast off field the club is headed in the right direction

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos

Demonoid

All Australian
Dec 17, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GWS

Wow. I must admit when AFL chairman Richard Goyder assumes the chairmanship of Qantas I thought they’d be changing for sure. But I guess, governance and conflict of interest issues aside, they must have got a killer deal from virgin, not to mention a boost in sponsorship.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wow. I must admit when AFL chairman Richard Goyder assumes the chairmanship of Qantas I thought they’d be changing for sure. But I guess, governance and conflict of interest issues aside, they must have got a killer deal from virgin, not to mention a boost in sponsorship.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Read a book on John Borgetthi (Virgin CEO) a while back which touched upon this. The Qantas proposals team kind of dropped the ball in 2010 when the AFL partnership came up for tender, got a bit complacent and in fairness the period wasn't exactly a stable time for airlines so that probably influenced their lack of focus. Virgin set themselves up for a crack pouring a lot of time and effort into nabbing the contract as the disruptive challenger in the market which naturally impressed the AFL. If I recall the book correctly Qantas even sent in their proposal late and was clearly pretty hastily put together. So was a pretty straightforward decision in the end.

Pretty indicative of Qantas struggles at the time, but in subsequent years they've done an excellent job to turn themselves around and in my eyes at least put themselves as clear leader in the Australian market again. The footy seems to be a huge part of Virgins media / brand visibilty strategy (whereas Qantas have tended to move away from sport bar cricket) though so I don't think it's too surprising they would do what it takes to retain the contract.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
https://thewest.com.au/business/online-mortgage-broker-joins-the-eagles-ng-b88993608z

Online mortgage broker Lendi joins West Coast Eagles as major sponsor after SGIO exit

An online mortgage broker backed by Macquarie Group but little known in WA has been signed up as the West Coast Eagles’ new major sponsor.

Sydney-based Lendi joins fast food chain Hungry Jack’s as the premiership club’s co-major sponsor, replacing insurer SGIO which ended a 33-year-association with the Eagles at the end of the AFL season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
https://thewest.com.au/business/online-mortgage-broker-joins-the-eagles-ng-b88993608z

Online mortgage broker Lendi joins West Coast Eagles as major sponsor after SGIO exit

An online mortgage broker backed by Macquarie Group but little known in WA has been signed up as the West Coast Eagles’ new major sponsor.

Sydney-based Lendi joins fast food chain Hungry Jack’s as the premiership club’s co-major sponsor, replacing insurer SGIO which ended a 33-year-association with the Eagles at the end of the AFL season.

Bump ...
The future of mortgage brokers ie Lendi, is under a cloud following the Hayne Royal Commission.

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
The Coffee Club taking over XXXX as lions short sponsor.

1549690965919.png

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
AFL record sponsorship deal
MARCH 14, 2019

The AFL has signed the largest sports sponsorship deal in Australian corporate history, convincing major partner Toyota to shell out $18.5 million annually until 2023.

Toyota’s new deal beats the $16m the car manufacturer has been paying the league since 2015, and once again takes the AFL past Tennis Australia in terms of having the biggest sporting sponsorship in the country.

Korean carmaker Kia’s latest deal for the naming rights to the Australian Open is for slightly more than $16m per year, as part of a contact signed last year, while Tennis Australia clinched an associate sponsorship deal with Chinese premium liquor company Luzhou Laojiao in January at a similar level.
By the end of its new contract, Toyota will have been the AFL’s biggest sponsor for 20 years, and its new deal includes new properties to add to its existing naming rights partnership with the league.

AFL general manager commercial, Kylie Rogers, told The Australian the deal was “pleasing considering the environment we are operating in” and that “it is getting harder and harder to retain partners”.

The NRL, which began its 2019 season on Thursday night, had a horror off-season plagued by player misdemeanours that have cost several of its clubs potential sponsorship deals and put pressure on the league to retain some sponsors whose contracts expired last year.

“Toyota is better off with us, and the AFL is better off with Toyota,” Ms Rogers said.

“But there is increasing pressure on businesses or [chief marketing officers] to justify partnerships.

“But these deals are not just about brand exposure any more — there is a very particular focus on outcomes for the companies.”

Toyota’s new sponsorship also means it becomes the league’s official community partner for the first time.

That includes naming rights partner for the AFL’s national volunteer awards, its national inclusion carnival for athletes with intellectual disabilities, the secondary North East Australian Football League, which encompasses NSW, the ACT, Queensland and Northern Territory, and the AFL’s national wheelchair championships.

The carmaker also becomes the official automotive partner of the women’s AFLW competition.

“Toyota supporting the AFLW competition further establishes its place in the national sporting landscape,” AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said.
Toyota’s chief marketing officer Wayne Gabriel said a vital part of Toyota’s ongoing sponsorship of the AFL was the Good for Footy program, which focuses on the grassroots community clubs.

“As the official Good for Footy Community Partner, we’re aiming to raise a further $1 million in 2019 to help more than 1000 local, grassroots Australian football clubs with better facilities and equipment,” he said.

The program has already raised $5m for local clubs.

Ms Rogers said the AFL had 43 commercial partners, with several deals up for renewal later this year.

She said she was confident the contracts would be extended.

However, she would not comment when asked how the AFL’s reputation with corporate Australia compared with that of sporting rivals such as rugby league. The AFL’s revenue from commercial operations, including sponsorship deals and corporate hospitality and ticket sales, topped the $200m mark for the first time in 2018, according to the league’s latest financial report.

The $209m figure contributed to a record $668m revenue for the league, though the AFL’s overall income was $778m, including Marvel Stadium.

Non-broadcast revenue for the NRL last year was $178m.

https://outline.com/868649
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bu...l/news-story/576661aaf4013f7d6f65f74b22353669

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
News story this morning on ABC and SEN about a report showing 17 of 18 AFL clubs rely a fair bit on sponsorship from alcohol companies.

Just surveying Collingwood

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/club/partners

Collingwood has 4 "premier partners", none of which are alcohol companies (two finance companies, a car company and an airline)

It then has a "platinum partner" (apparel) and "community partner" (coles)

After this it has 11 "major partners" of which 2 are alcohol related (1 beer and 1 wine company)

According to this, Geelong have the highest number of alcohol sponsorships in the AFL....

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...alled-out-for-toxic-alcohol-advertising-deals

And yet not one of their nine "major" or "elite" sponsors are.

I doubt alcohol sponsorship is a massive contributor to overall AFL club revenues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back