Status in Question AFL and Coniglio's GWS deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently the Multicultural Ambassador income was payable even if he went to another Club.
That is always going to be the official line.
We don't know whether behind closed doors it was mentioned that it would be more if he stayed or subject to review if he left.

I do find it interesting that after Gil commented that he wanted him to stay, and he suddenly signed on that you have Matthews and Gil both coming out and saying Gil and the AFL had nothing to do with the decision.

They might be telling the truth but the AFL has their hand in every deal that happens, they have to sign off on them all.

Be interesting to see if Eddie or anyone else starts dropping comments about it next time their club is linked to a GWS player

We don't know whether behind closed doors it was mentioned that it would be more if he stayed or subject to review if he left.

I do find it interesting that after Gil commented that he wanted him to stay, and he suddenly signed on that you have Matthews and Gil both coming out and saying Gil and the AFL had nothing to do with the decision.

They might be telling the truth but the AFL has their hand in every deal that happens, they have to sign off on them all.

Be interesting to see if Eddie or anyone else starts dropping comments about it next time their club is linked to a GWS player

There is a high chance that Coniglio was always going to stay. Or that he was weighing up his options and genuinely decided that GWS was what he wanted.

However, even if this is the case.....the decision appears tainted due to Gil's comments. I posted this on the Carlton board recently:

---------

If I say in public I'm going to dump a flaming bag of turds at AFL house...and then somebody does exactly that...

Even if I am innocent and I have a solid alibi, everybody is going to think it was me.

I'm (and Gil) better off keeping my mouth shut and not creating the self-incriminating narrative...

I was angry last week at any possibility AFL were giving extra help from backdoor to help Giants get closer to better offers to entice him to stay.
But having heard Giants CEO speak, I find the guy Matthews does not seem usual bullshit artist and he simply signed on as he was happy enough at Giants. Which personally a month ago I assumed he would stay but recent week speculation and not signed on yet, had me believing he was in two minds. I tend to think my original thoughts that he should not have a whole lot of reasons to leave, is why he ended up staying. I do not believe now any Ambassador money had any real bearing as I do not think it is as big a money as some would think. Not enough to come close to make up for shortfall in better offers from other clubs. Bottom line whether he stayed or left he was always getting paid very well wherever he played. No reason for him not to believe in the club he is at being a contender for some years to come. Good luck to him and Gil should not bother commenting like this again as I do not blame people if their minds always wonder if anything shonky went on behind closed doors. I do not believe they did but can understand some still will be skeptical forever.
Gil is a ******* idiot. That is one thing we all can agree on.

AFL was involved under the table. If this happened at any other club, there would be blue murder. Serious questions should be asked of the AFL about the deal to keep Coniglio at the Giants, considering how much they want to keep him there. If you think it's as simple as GWS offering Coniglio a deal he couldn't refuse, and the AFL didn't do anything shady to keep him a Giant, then I'm Buddy Franklin.

How convenient your sense of morality is?

Bet you weren’t complaining about the commercial manoeuvring on the Adam Treloar deal?

Bet you don’t lose any sleep on the dodgy coterie and “friends of the club” commercial opportunities offered by big clubs such as your own, the sweetheart media deals (do you wonder why Ads is all over TV and radio) mayo added to really sexy up contracts?

Do you honestly think such opportunities are available to clubs like GWS and Gold Coast?

No you don’t, and truth be known you don’t really care about any silly buggers that might actually advantage your precious team, especially when our place is just to be a feeder club that bolsters TV Rights?

If the AFL did get involved they are merely squaring up the ledger on their “baby” that never wins a fixture or free kick count.

Live in a spotless house and then start commenting on your neighbours, otherwise pipe down and get off your high horse.

duck-tales-gold.jpg

It must be nice to be GWS to have an unlimited salary cap thanks to the AFL :)

'Suddenly' signed on is what we think according to media reports.

For all we know for weeks he had just been getting his i's dotted and t's crossed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Suddenly' signed on is what we think according to media reports.

For all we know for weeks he had just been getting his i's dotted and t's crossed.
2 months ago all the noise out of GWS was that he was about to sign any day now.
That went really, really quiet and we started getting Cameron complain about how other clubs were talking to his players.

Looked very much like he was just waiting for the Giants season to end to announce he was leaving.

Next minute, Gil says he hopes he stays, his manager says in an interview post signing that Steven came to him on the weekend and said work something out and he's signed on Monday.

I'd say that is pretty sudden wouldn't you?

2 months ago all the noise out of GWS was that he was about to sign any day now.
That went really, really quiet and we started getting Cameron complain about how other clubs were talking to his players.

Looked very much like he was just waiting for the Giants season to end to announce he was leaving.

Next minute, Gil says he hopes he stays, his manager says in an interview post signing that Steven came to him on the weekend and said work something out and he's signed on Monday.

What if his knee injury is worse than he's letting on, and the club's he were talking to wanted a full medical?

Apparently the Multicultural Ambassador income was payable even if he went to another Club.

I posted this in another thread in response to a claim his “ambassador” role was worth $800k from the AFL

I couldn’t find a list of multicultural ambassadors for this year but the most recent I could find (before Coniglio’s last contract extension) in 2017 they were:

Dayne Zorko (Brisbane Lions),
Dyson Heppell (Essendon),
David Zaharakis (Essendon),
Jake Kolodjashnij (Geelong),
Adam Saad (Gold Coast SUNS),
Tom Nicholls (Gold Coast SUNS),
Stephen Coniglio (GWS GIANTS),
Christian Salem (Melbourne),
Majak Daw (North Melbourne),
Jimmy Toumpas (Port Adelaide),
Bachar Houli (Richmond),
Aliir Aliir (Sydney Swans),
Nic Naitanui (West Coast),
Lin Jong (Western Bulldogs)
Jason Johannisen (Western Bulldogs)
Sabrina Frederick-Traub (Brisbane Lions),
Darcy Vescio (Carlton),
Helen Roden (Collingwood)
Akec Makur (Susan) Chuot (Fremantle)

(And for a number of years up until 2016.... Paul Puopolo (Hawthorn) for those tin-foil-hat wearing Hawthorn supporters out there)

To suggest that just one of those players is getting 800k for their role in this program is beyond laughable.

Or, I want an investigation (and I want there to be equal outgrage from the keyboard warriors) about every other one of these “so called ambassadors” and the financial deals they have with their club if they’re all getting 800k

Other clubs offered more - he stayed for reasons other than money.

But I suppose, tin-foil’s gotta tin-foil - and salt’s gotta salt - that’s just the way it is. Conspiracies exist beyond the realm of fact.

I posted this in another thread in response to a claim his “ambassador” role was worth $800k from the AFL

I couldn’t find a list of multicultural ambassadors for this year but the most recent I could find (before Coniglio’s last contract extension) in 2017 they were:

Dayne Zorko (Brisbane Lions),
Dyson Heppell (Essendon),
David Zaharakis (Essendon),
Jake Kolodjashnij (Geelong),
Adam Saad (Gold Coast SUNS),
Tom Nicholls (Gold Coast SUNS),
Stephen Coniglio (GWS GIANTS),
Christian Salem (Melbourne),
Majak Daw (North Melbourne),
Jimmy Toumpas (Port Adelaide),
Bachar Houli (Richmond),
Aliir Aliir (Sydney Swans),
Nic Naitanui (West Coast),
Lin Jong (Western Bulldogs)
Jason Johannisen (Western Bulldogs)
Sabrina Frederick-Traub (Brisbane Lions),
Darcy Vescio (Carlton),
Helen Roden (Collingwood)
Akec Makur (Susan) Chuot (Fremantle)

(And for a number of years up until 2016.... Paul Puopolo (Hawthorn) for those tin-foil-hat wearing Hawthorn supporters out there)

To suggest that just one of those players is getting 800k for their role in this program is beyond laughable.

Or, I want an investigation (and I want there to be equal outgrage from the keyboard warriors) about every other one of these “so called ambassadors” and the financial deals they have with their club if they’re all getting 800k

Other clubs offered more - he stayed for reasons other than money.

But I suppose, tin-foil’s gotta tin-foil - and salt’s gotta salt - that’s just the way it is. Conspiracies exist beyond the realm of fact.
why do you think other clubs all offered more?

One of the more pathetic threads in recent memory....

GWS have managed their list better than most. They've let go;

Scully
Treloar
Shiel
Lobb
Adams
Boyd
McCarthy
Steele

All of whom were on decent coin.

Throw in a heap of s**t trucks to Carlton and it's called list management.
Truth bomb

AFL was involved under the table. If this happened at any other club, there would be blue murder. Serious questions should be asked of the AFL about the deal to keep Coniglio at the Giants, considering how much they want to keep him there. If you think it's as simple as GWS offering Coniglio a deal he couldn't refuse, and the AFL didn't do anything shady to keep him a Giant, then I'm Buddy Franklin.
Tin foil hat time. If you've got some evidence then share with us.

Probably like Eddie's deal to pay off the bookie's for Dayne to get him home to Collingwood.

Firstly, that's all reports and speculation. Which was my original point. YOU think it's sudden. Because of how it 'looked'. Because of how it was reported. We really have no idea of when the switch was flicked and he made up his mind, or how close he was either way.

From the horses mouth the tipping point was when players started discussing the article about the non existent relationship between him and Campbell, and he realised he needed to make a decision and end the distraction and rumours.

So. That lines up just as well as any Gil conspiracy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back