Status in Question AFL and Coniglio's GWS deal

Mr Miyagi

Debutant
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL was involved under the table. If this happened at any other club, there would be blue murder. Serious questions should be asked of the AFL about the deal to keep Coniglio at the Giants, considering how much they want to keep him there. If you think it's as simple as GWS offering Coniglio a deal he couldn't refuse, and the AFL didn't do anything shady to keep him a Giant, then I'm Buddy Franklin.

arfadunger

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
TBH, wouldn't be surprised if he got some marketing allowance from the AFL on top of his GWS salary to promote GWS and the AFL in Sydney. Not that that would be an unusual thing for a marquee player.

Thinking about it, I am almost certain that the AFL were involved in keeping Martin/Kelly/Gaff at their respective clubs and away from North. OP makes perfect sense.

Honestly half the stuff that goes on with player deals and movement or lack there of never sees the light of day.

If a few presidents other than Jeff kick up a stink about this then maybe there is something to talk about. You'd think if the AFL have influenced this much then other clubs would be wary about it.

All said and done he wouldn't have signed for 7 years if he wasn't willing to stay.

People act like GWS are the Suns. The Giants are a fine footy club, I'd want to play there if I was an up and coming player.
Especially if the alternative was Hawthorn.

Perhaps, but is it any different to Victorian clubs giving players heaps of 3rd party allowances? Just a matter of Sydney not being as marketable of a city as Melbourne for AFL players.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd rather some dodgy extra payments to keep star players at a fledgling club than handing all Northern state clubs an advantage like Cola, retention allowances and marketing allowances.

In this case I reckon it's Coniglio the well paid multicultural ambassador despite Italian Australians playing AFL footy for decades. Anyway, care factor minimal.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Perhaps, but is it any different to Victorian clubs giving players heaps of 3rd party allowances? Just a matter of Sydney not being as marketable of a city as Melbourne for AFL players.
The BS with that one comes from the star players in Sydney always being highly marketable - both back in to Melbourne and in Sydney.

The 2nd and 3rd tier guys don't get much but the 2nd and 3rd tier guys at clubs like Melb, North, St Kilda etc get stuff all as well. When you see Grigg and Townsend on a billboard it's clear the Tigers have an advantage but comparing Sydney clubs to Coll/Ess/Rich rather than a lot of other Melbourne sides isn't accurate.

If they want to bring something in for the Giants players they'll have to bring it in for North players too.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
AFL was involved under the table. If this happened at any other club, there would be blue murder. Serious questions should be asked of the AFL about the deal to keep Coniglio at the Giants, considering how much they want to keep him there. If you think it's as simple as GWS offering Coniglio a deal he couldn't refuse, and the AFL didn't do anything shady to keep him a Giant, then I'm Buddy Franklin.
What rubbish.
He has stayed for less money.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
The AFL wanted Lynch to stay at the Suns.

What's the conspiracy with that one?

jwint43

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Even Gil isn't silly enough to say his preference is for Cogs to stay and then do some dodgy under the table deal. They were always confident he was going to re-sign and it seems they have a real close knit team and enjoy playing for a club they helped build. Nothing to see here.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Even Gil isn't silly enough to say his preference is for Cogs to stay and then do some dodgy under the table deal. They were always confident he was going to re-sign and it seems they have a real close knit team and enjoy playing for a club they helped build. Nothing to see here.
Yeah right, Gil would never do anything dodgy to ensure his preferred outcomes
comes true.
FA9807C4-E997-42E4-82E8-DD2A63635E8A.jpeg

Back