Status in Question AFL and Coniglio's GWS deal

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted this in another thread in response to a claim his “ambassador” role was worth $800k from the AFL

I couldn’t find a list of multicultural ambassadors for this year but the most recent I could find (before Coniglio’s last contract extension) in 2017 they were:

Dayne Zorko (Brisbane Lions),
Dyson Heppell (Essendon),
David Zaharakis (Essendon),
Jake Kolodjashnij (Geelong),
Adam Saad (Gold Coast SUNS),
Tom Nicholls (Gold Coast SUNS),
Stephen Coniglio (GWS GIANTS),
Christian Salem (Melbourne),
Majak Daw (North Melbourne),
Jimmy Toumpas (Port Adelaide),
Bachar Houli (Richmond),
Aliir Aliir (Sydney Swans),
Nic Naitanui (West Coast),
Lin Jong (Western Bulldogs)
Jason Johannisen (Western Bulldogs)
Sabrina Frederick-Traub (Brisbane Lions),
Darcy Vescio (Carlton),
Helen Roden (Collingwood)
Akec Makur (Susan) Chuot (Fremantle)

(And for a number of years up until 2016.... Paul Puopolo (Hawthorn) for those tin-foil-hat wearing Hawthorn supporters out there)

To suggest that just one of those players is getting 800k for their role in this program is beyond laughable.

Or, I want an investigation (and I want there to be equal outgrage from the keyboard warriors) about every other one of these “so called ambassadors” and the financial deals they have with their club if they’re all getting 800k

Other clubs offered more - he stayed for reasons other than money.

But I suppose, tin-foil’s gotta tin-foil - and salt’s gotta salt - that’s just the way it is. Conspiracies exist beyond the realm of fact.
Dyson Heppell - WTF??

Because he’s a bloody good player and a really good person and they wanted him at their club.
But that doesn't explain why you think he stayed at GWS for less money.
GWS offer is reportedly $7mil over 7 years
Hawks offer was reportedly $5mil over 5 years
Blues offer was reportedly $7mil over 5 years

Technically the Blues offer is more before tax because he has another two years he could possibly making money for to overtake the GWS offer.

He got the most security at GWS, the money was pretty even across the board from what was reported.

Firstly, that's all reports and speculation. Which was my original point. YOU think it's sudden. Because of how it 'looked'. Because of how it was reported. We really have no idea of when the switch was flicked and he made up his mind, or how close he was either way.

From the horses mouth the tipping point was when players started discussing the article about the non existent relationship between him and Campbell, and he realised he needed to make a decision and end the distraction and rumours.

So. That lines up just as well as any Gil conspiracy.
We've only got what has been reported to go on.

He said himself in an interview

"I'd wake up one day and think, 'I'm staying at the Giants', then the next day I was going to Hawthorn or Carlton," he said.

"The next minute I would think 'It would be cool to play for West Coast', the team I grew up barracking for.

"There were definitely times this year when I thought that maybe my time at the Giants was up.

"It was a rollercoaster of emotions, but for the last 10 days or so I've woken up and had a really good feeling about staying at this footy club."

Technically the Blues offer is more before tax because he has another two years he could possibly making money for to overtake the GWS offer.

He got the most security at GWS, the money was pretty even across the board from what was reported.

Playing with your mates
Staying at a team when you are an "orginal" (pretty rare)
Success (or at least finals) for the last 4 years
The certainty of what you know rather than the uncertainty of a new environment.
The family like culture the playing group constantly refer to when they speak of the club

All seem like reasonable reasons to stay

Playing with your mates
The certainty of what you know rather than the uncertainty of a new environment.
The family like culture the playing group constantly refer to when they speak of the club

Yes
It's the less money part I'm questioning.

Not saying he took the highest offer in front of him but from what I saw that was from the Saints and more of a PR exercise than an actual chance of getting him you'd think.

From what I have seen reported the Hawks and Giants had similar per year amounts but Giants had 2 more years on offer, Blues same length as the Hawks but more per year putting the total value close to the Giants offer.

So you could say he took let per year that Carlton, or maybe none of the years was as high a number but at 7 years and an estimate 1 mil per year, he's hardly walking away from cash from what I can see.

He's taken the job with the most security in contract length but it doesn't really look like he's left much cash on the table so where is the idea that he's turned his back on the cash to stay coming from? Seems more a PR exercise to me than fact.

McLachlan.
Rubbish
He is a saints man, yet no bastard will come to our rabble club so the campaigners not doing his job properly.
We should be swimming in A grade talent thats been given extra cash under the table, along with free hookers and blow.

Instead we get plonkers busted for doing blow.

Somethings not right here

Yes
Absolutely, it's quite outrageous he would ever think of staying loyal to his club for less money. After all, what other player has ever stayed loyal to his club for less money in the hope of being a one club and/or premiership player? Simply never happens. This whole thing of him refusing to leave his club is just too horrible.

Yes

Not saying he took the highest offer in front of him but from what I saw that was from the Saints and more of a PR exercise than an actual chance of getting him you'd think.

From what I have seen reported the Hawks and Giants had similar per year amounts but Giants had 2 more years on offer, Blues same length as the Hawks but more per year putting the total value close to the Giants offer.

So you could say he took let per year that Carlton, or maybe none of the years was as high a number but at 7 years and an estimate 1 mil per year, he's hardly walking away from cash from what I can see.

He's taken the job with the most security in contract length but it doesn't really look like he's left much cash on the table so where is the idea that he's turned his back on the cash to stay coming from? Seems more a PR exercise to me than fact.
When you've reamed your own club for everything you could get because of the threat of talking with other clubs, what better way to restore the faith than to start the rumour that you sacrificed something to stay? More money + illusion of taking less money. It's PR win-win.

But yeah, that's an assumption that is never questioned by the pundits who discuss trades endlessly on tv and radio - that you have to pry players out of clubs by paying huge overs. Although it's frequently true, there is really no reason why it has to be true.

Rubbish
He is a saints man, yet no bastard will come to our rabble club so the campaigners not doing his job properly.
We should be swimming in A grade talent thats been given extra cash under the table, along with free hookers and blow.

Instead we get plonkers busted for doing blow.

Somethings not right here
Karma for taking the Borough's rightful spot in the VFL?

Absolutely, it's quite outrageous he would ever think of staying loyal to his club for less money. After all, what other player has ever stayed loyal to his club for less money in the hope of being a one club and/or premiership player? Simply never happens. This whole thing of him refusing to leave his club is just too horrible.

Dustin Martin did

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah. I see what’s happening here.

2018 trade period:

Hawks “ITK” posters - Shiel is coming to Hawthorn. Deal done months back. Lock it in.

Shiel goes to Bombers.

Hawks supporters “oh but we changed our mind”

2019 trade period:

Hawks “ITK” posters - Cogs is coming to Hawthorn. Deal done months back. Lock it in.

Coniglio re-signs with GWS.

Hawks supporters “oh then there must be a secret AFL deal”

Thanks for all the fun guys. Looking forward to Whitfield next year

Yes

Well no club publishes contract details. That said I think I was pretty accepted that both the hawks And Carlton were offering more money. Carlton significantly more so.

The killer was a stipulation of his contract was to Wake up Early, pick up the Worp every morning and carry his bags.

His loss.

Anyways, Wouldnt be suprised, Cant whinge over it. 7 Million for 7 years is overs for a guy who's only been robbed of all Australian twice in his career

Hawks are now chasing pick 3 as a compensation pick for losing Coniglio!:rolleyes:

No seriously Hawk supporters!
You are so entitled that you even get cut up when a player chooses to stay at their own club.

Playing with your mates

Also no go home factor like a lot of the other guys who have moved on

He’s a WA boy so a move to Melbourne would probably more disruptive for his family than anything

Hawks are now chasing pick 3 as a compensation pick for losing Coniglio!:rolleyes:

No seriously Hawk supporters!
You are so entitled that you even get cut up when a player chooses to stay at their own club.

Compo is allowing us to trade our 1st pick again..Gil obviously feeling guilty

As much as I wanted him to come to the Hawks I consider myself unbiased on football things. If the reported numbers were true, he's giving up almost 3 MIL over 7 years to stay with Gws over the Blues (think Hawks offer was somewhere in the middle). Surely no sane person turns down 3 MIL. Wouldn't be surprised if AFL makes up some ambassador role to justify paying him more money. Unless Giants upped their offer why didn't he sign sooner if he's just loyal ?

As much as I wanted him to come to the Hawks I consider myself unbiased on football things. If the reported numbers were true, he's giving up almost 3 MIL over 7 years to stay with Gws over the Blues (think Hawks offer was somewhere in the middle). Surely no sane person turns down 3 MIL. Wouldn't be surprised if AFL makes up some ambassador role to justify paying him more money. Unless Giants upped their offer why didn't he sign sooner if he's just loyal ?

no sane person turns down 3 MIL...

Unless they’re a loyal character and the decision was really bloody hard to make...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back