AFL and NFL things

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Just to expand on that the NFL main competitors are probably the premier league, formula 1, IPL etc.

Afl is just a pimple on the ass in terms of world sport

Well that's what you get with a minnow population, yet still, it's averages are heady stuff.

We can all sit here all day arguing frivolous stats and how minnow the AFL is blah blah blah, at the end of the day it's still managed 4th highest avg across all competitions world wide. That's not up for debate, one can either acknowledge that or ignore it, won't change it though.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
NFL is the undisputed national football code in the USA.

Whereas in Australia the No.1 in participation is soccer.

Soccer also has a greater participation than gridiron in the US (from what I can calculate, 4.1m to 2.5m). But soccer also has greater participation in NZ than rugby union, and nobody's suggesting soccer is more popular than NZ rugby. It's just an easy, low-contact, low-cost game to participate in that doesn't always correlate to popularity.

But interestingly, NFL crowds are 2.7 times the attendance of MLS, but AFL crowds are 3.5 times those of A-League Men, meaning the AFL is more dominant over soccer in its respective market.

In over half of Australia Rugby League dwarfs all other codes in following.

Assuming Queensland and NSW are the half you were talking about, I'd say "dwarfs" is an exaggeration. Relatively similar crowd numbers (except the Swans, of course), and AFL performs better in membership numbers.

2019 crowds
Sydney NRL average: 13,646
GWS (Sydney games): 12,411
Swans: 31,070

Gold Coast
Titans: 11,587
Suns: 11,834

Brisbane
Broncos: 29,516
Lions: 24,741

In terms of membership numbers, the Lions and Suns both beat their crosstown rivals for 2021 tallies, the Swans beat every NRL team, and the Giants were only beaten by two Sydney NRL teams (even if you subtract the 6000 Canberra members).

The NRL might win on TV stats, but given the above stats, I don't think it's fair to say league dwarfs AFL teams in following.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Afl is just a pimple on the ass in terms of world sport

What does that make the A-L then - not even an ant's fart within Australia.
At least it is a world sport from Australia. What other Australian world sports are there.
It is something created, produced and developed by Australians. Something to be proud.
Why do you go about some imported English game that Australia totally rejects.
Soccer is arguably the Sixth, yes the sixth most watched sport in Australia.
What a laugh. I wouldn't be drawing attention to your poorly performing English sport in Australia if I was you.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Soccer also has a greater participation than gridiron in the US (from what I can calculate, 4.1m to 2.5m). But soccer also has greater participation in NZ than rugby union, and nobody's suggesting soccer is more popular than NZ rugby. It's just an easy, low-contact, low-cost game to participate in that doesn't always correlate to popularity.

Yes it's always baffled me why more Australians aren't proud of Australian (Rules) football.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
NFL is the undisputed national football code in the USA.

Whereas in Australia the No.1 in participation is soccer.
In over half of Australia Rugby League dwarfs all other codes in following.
Yeah but they include Futsal (Indoor Soccer) in its participation numbers.

The fact is both the AFL and NRL are the undisputed most popular in the respective states they dominate. You are probably likely find in the US soccer would have a higher participation rate than american football. The US doesn't have a lot of pathways for people to continue to play american football after college or high school.

Any high collision contact sport usually has numbers drop away in the higher age groups. People who work and have families need to way up the risk of injury when it comes to playing sport. The higher the risk of long term injuries the more likely people are going to choose not to play.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
given Pippen94 had a premanent threadban (not his first threadban on this forum) since thursday....no.

On the International board this is posted.

1: No trolling Pretty simple and I really don't expect any problems here. Fans of other sports are welcome to contribute but remember this is a section for International Australian Football first and foremost.

2: Personal abuse Not wanted. Play the ball not the man.

3: Offensive posts If you see a post which you think offensive then report it straight away don't carry it on. Remember though that I'm not always around so it may take some time to action it.

4: Suggestions Please feel free to come forward with any suggestions you might have to move this board forward. I'm committed to moving this board forward and especially so in an International Cup year.

In light of some concerns I would remind people we have a report post option for posts you find off topic, thread derailing etc. etc please use it.

Macca180

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the International board this is posted.

1: No trolling Pretty simple and I really don't expect any problems here. Fans of other sports are welcome to contribute but remember this is a section for International Australian Football first and foremost.

2: Personal abuse Not wanted. Play the ball not the man.

3: Offensive posts If you see a post which you think offensive then report it straight away don't carry it on. Remember though that I'm not always around so it may take some time to action it.

4: Suggestions Please feel free to come forward with any suggestions you might have to move this board forward. I'm committed to moving this board forward and especially so in an International Cup year.

In light of some concerns I would remind people we have a report post option for posts you find off topic, thread derailing etc. etc please use it.

Pippen is a ******* w***er.....only here to troll. Period.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
Went back through a few years of threads. This seems about the most appropriately titled thread for this.

A new cricket ground in USA. The AFL should make sure it is long enough for Aussie Rules incase they ever want to put an exhibition or premiership game there.

d3ad4f8d165efc9f3264400dabe204ca.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Went back through a few years of threads. This seems about the most appropriately titled thread for this.

A new cricket ground in USA. The AFL should make sure it is long enough for Aussie Rules incase they ever want to put an exhibition or premiership game there.

d3ad4f8d165efc9f3264400dabe204ca.jpg

Major League Cricket is a good opportunity for Aussie Rules in the States.

The image in the story is actually for a former baseball stadium that's being converted near Dallas.

There's also still potential for the 2028 Olympics in LA to include cricket, and it looks like there's plans for a stadium in the OC which could be used.

There are plans in a bunch of cities for boutique-sized cricket stadiums for MLC, but not sure how advanced they are.

A stadium in LA would be the best for an AFL game. LA's closer, has tonnes of Aussies, and Aussie celebrities to help promote the game. Done right, it could easily sell out.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Re-reading this thread. Damn, Noobpie was annoying.

The image in the story is actually for a former baseball stadium that's being converted near Dallas.

There's also still potential for the 2028 Olympics in LA to include cricket, and it looks like there's plans for a stadium in the OC which could be used.

There are plans in a bunch of cities for boutique-sized cricket stadiums for MLC, but not sure how advanced they are.

A stadium in LA would be the best for an AFL game. LA's closer, has tonnes of Aussies, and Aussie celebrities to help promote the game. Done right, it could easily sell out.
That is a long long way to go for one match. 14-15 hours of non-stop travelling. And unlike China, it is in the wrong Timezone.

I do not think it makes sense. opportunity cost-wise, there would be better ways to spend money or time on things closer to home.

One-off games rarely do much. Pre-season isnt much of a thing nowadays and good luck getting any games after the Grand final nowadays. Which leaves the actual season.

I know they made China work but I question the benefits or the point.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That is a long long way to go for one match. 14-15 hours of non-stop travelling. And unlike China, it is in the wrong Timezone.

I do not think it makes sense. opportunity cost-wise, there would be better ways to spend money or time on things closer to home.

One-off games rarely do much. Pre-season isnt much of a thing nowadays and good luck getting any games after the Grand final nowadays. Which leaves the actual season.

I know they made China work but I question the benefits or the point.

The Giants were looking to do an LA game pre-Covid. I'm not too sure what their cost/reward analysis was though. I assume their thoughts were bigger audience, greater sponsor potential.

I think an LA game would be bigger than the Shanghai game (which I still supported). As I mentioned, plenty of Aussies in LA, and a population already interested in contact sports. Southern California has the same population as Australia. Get Aussies in LA like Margot Robbie, the Hemsworths, and NBA players to spruik it and it could be pretty popular, both in attendance and on TV (compared to regular AFL matches in the US).

The teams who played in Shanghai both had their bye just immediately after. I assume the same would happen in this situation.

The time zone is pretty solvable. It changes through the year with daylight saving, but if an LA game was played at the beginning of the season, a 7pm game in LA would be 1pm in Melbourne. And in the same time zone as 60 million people in the US/Canada.

There are probably better ways to spend money closer to home, but I think LA definitely has potential (if the stadium happens).

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

Logically yes, but in reality no. They built a purpose built cricket ground in Florida and the USAFL said you beauty
envisaging holding their events there but very few games were held there because of the fees.
There's also still potential for the 2028 Olympics in LA to include cricket,

potential yes - in reality no way.
and it looks like there's plans for a stadium in the OC which could be used.

The problem with l.A. is that it is too big - any decent stadium is going to be a long way from downtown.
The problem with l.A. is that it is too big as a business model - it is far from the optimum size of city to market.

Certainly promising if the USAFL can play games there.

A stadium in LA would be the best for an AFL game.

Whilst the USA is crying out for some AFL backup there are problems with L.A. a.t.m

LA's closer

But not cheaper.
has tonnes of Aussies

It's the marketing that is the problem to the wider audience
Aussie celebrities to help promote the game

Like in previous exhibition games in L.A. Look up how successful they were.
Done right, it could easily sell out.

Too late. The best option, the l.A. colloseum has been modified for NFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back