Expansion AFL announces 2017 AFL International Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

If I were cynical I would say Aussie Rules will never be international, as a pro sport: this is just a vanity project by the AFL as part of its cultural vibrant diversity kumbaya shtick, and a vehicle for a few lucky AFL employees to globe-trot on all expenses paid.

Am I right or am I right?

PS OK I am cynical.

PPS who is paying for this international-fest? And who would pay to see it?

Yeah, your last sentence sums up why it wouldn't happen. Add a dozen professional footballers to the Irish team and they're going to win every game by 20 goals.

What's Mike Pyke doing now? Even if he's spent the last year eating quarter pounders you'd think he'd be a pretty valuable addition to Canada. And would probably get a few more people down to watch.

Pyke retired to pursue some kind of professional career in the financial industry. Still lives in Aus though I believe

If I were cynical I would say Aussie Rules will never be international, as a pro sport: this is just a vanity project by the AFL as part of its cultural vibrant diversity kumbaya shtick, and a vehicle for a few lucky AFL employees to globe-trot on all expenses paid.

Am I right or am I right?

PS OK I am cynical.

PPS who is paying for this international-fest? And who would pay to see it?

A simplified brief summary of the history (which others may feel free to correct) is that these are countries that all have their own competition and wanted a "world cup" for nationals of those countries only. There was a threat that they could effectively form their own world governing body for Aussie rules (like FIFA). The AFL decided they would be the world governing body and would fund the tournament hosting costs (likely a few hundred thou) and the countries agreed and affiliated with the AFL.

All the countries have to pay their own way to participate (raised through sponsorship etc. or players paying their own way). Numerous volunteers assist through the tournament including umpires etc. There may be some assistance with accommodation and flights (in terms of better rates) with AFL's corporate partners.

Could we get the under 17's academy team to play them or would we win by to much?
Hard to know what is the best level to have represent Australia be it U17's or Australian amateurs. At any rate you could expect an Australian U17 team to beat the best international team. And if they didn't then the argument will be why wouldn't Australia field their best team. Lots of room for speculating on format etc. in this tournament that is for sure.

A simplified brief summary of the history (which others may feel free to correct) is that these are countries that all have their own competition and wanted a "world cup" for nationals of those countries only. There was a threat that they could effectively form their own world governing body for Aussie rules (like FIFA). The AFL decided they would be the world governing body and would fund the tournament hosting costs (likely a few hundred thou) and the countries agreed and affiliated with the AFL.

All the countries have to pay their own way to participate (raised through sponsorship etc. or players paying their own way). Numerous volunteers assist through the tournament including umpires etc. There may be some assistance with accommodation and flights (in terms of better rates) with AFL's corporate partners.
OK. I guess that makes sense, in that context.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's always cute when the AFL believes it can make inroads overseas.
To me, it is more about giving those who do play the game overseas the chance to play it at a representative level.

I reckon it's fantastic and should be supported. It must be a great experience for all those who come from overseas to participate.

Does anyone ever see this competition developing to the point that someone gets drafted from it?
Doubtful I would think.

AFL club recruiters would be much more likely to nab recruits from the Irish and American combines which have already seen results.

Does anyone ever see this competition developing to the point that someone gets drafted from it?
"Ever" is a long time. But I would think highly unlikely beyond an international rookie any time in the next few decades.
A short competition against what will be for a very long time relatively low level competition. Some might be picked up by clubs in state or suburban leagues, and maybe drafted from there. Even that is incredibly doubtful, given those clubs will often not have the resources to scout properly (and questions over getting a visa for someone who won't be earning a living from sport alone).

edit: For the men anyway, for the women perhaps the lesser gap in quality and the need to fill teams quickly could provide a short chance. Again, visas may be an issue and it is still unlikely.

Attended this competition in Warrnambool years ago and absolutely loved it.
At the time if you watched the players and took no notice of the scores i would say potentialy the best team in the comp was South Africa by a mile.
Ireland just handled the conditions better than every other team over the course of the week.

As someone has already mentioned, this was initially started up by the various national leagues with zero input from the AFL.

The AFL has only got involved in the last two (there have been four all up), and in a very limited way. Teams pay their own expenses to get to Australia, some assistance is offered with internal transfers - that's about it.

Unsurprisingly, the standard is pretty poor, but the real question is: has it been progressively improving over the four comps which have been held?

Some overseas footy comps have now survived 20+ years, which I view as a minor miracle in itself.

I thought the AFL did contribute.

They contribute, but players and teams have to fork out the majority themselves.
This is from the article:

Teams competing in the International Cup pay their own way to attend which is a huge outlay for all nations who have to find a way to fund their participation through team and individual fund raising and sponsorship. This is the main hurdle that the Indo-China team will need to overcome between now and the tournament kickoff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back