AFL asking Dancers to work for free

Remove this Banner Ad

No, it's not. I was on $30k more working for a major European sporting body as opposed to what one of the clubs offered me back here in Australia.

You don't work for a major sporting body or don't know anyone who has, or for that matter - you don't know what the inner-workings look like. I can tell you that the body I worked for, along with all the other sporting bodies spread across Europe and the UK offer extremely attractive salaries. Hell, the Dutch league (can't even recall the name) had an offer for me that exceeded any offers from Australian based sporting clubs and orgs.

It's not just "back-office" roles either. A friend of mine heads up the AFLW at the top level, he has also managed S&C for representative football squads in Melbourne as well as a VFL club and another AFLW club and is paid a pittance. I believe $20k for his "Part-Time" efforts is what he gets in his current role. Compare that to my European counterparts that work in a similar role (governing S&C, going out to clubs and ensuring integrity etc.) who are making ~ $110k FTE.

I'm not sure what Cricket Australia or the A-League salaries look like. I just know that the AFL salaries are pitiful in contrast to what I've experienced with sporting bodies in Europe.
And what I am telling you is roles at sporting bodies like Cricket Australia or the AFL clubs are poor compared to other industries in Australia for a similar role. I don’t know why you find this controversial.
If you don’t know about other sporting bodies in Australia how can you say the “fun tax” isn’t real?

Volunteers have been volunteering for years.
The problem this year is people are doing it tough and the entertainment industry in one that participants have been hardest hit.
Bit of a smack in the face to have fat cats ask you to perform for quids when they are doing it comfortably and getting leg ups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back