Rumour AFL asks WAFC to commit 65 mill to competition over 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

They AFL had their chance at generating $50 million by hosting the finals in the west. They'll be lucky to get $15 million hosting them in QLD.

Now the AFL is begging for money?
Spot on. Too busy getting a holiday in QLD than worrying about sacking 200 people.

I’d be doing a deal but making sure it’s enshrines fairness or at least a power shift in the future.

Well this is strange on a few levels. I am sure the WAFC will use this to get some stick it up the Vics publicity before doing what they are told.

That 5 year budget v grassroots football spend quoted earlier is one of the dumbest things I have heard of though.

AFL give out grants over 5 year periods as does the state government. Current one ends in 2022. Last time around WAFC asked for a 50 year contract with funds mapped out . No joke

B
Spot on. Too busy getting a holiday in QLD than worrying about sacking 200 people.

I’d be doing a deal but making sure it’s enshrines fairness or at least a power shift in the future.

Be sure to run it past the bankers, they hold the strings in the same way dastardly Dan controls GF day.

Surely for this kind of money the easier solution would be for the AFL to stop giving money to WAFC. ($5,388,533 last year...more than WAFC gets from both WA clubs combined))

Put that $$$ into repayments and they could borrow another $65M in a heartbeat and have it paid off in a lot less than 15 years.

That’s not true at all

WAFC receives 185,000 a year from the AFL since 2001.

Surely for this kind of money the easier solution would be for the AFL to stop giving money to WAFC. ($5,388,533 last year...more than WAFC gets from both WA clubs combined))

Put that $$$ into repayments and they could borrow another $65M in a heartbeat and have it paid off in a lot less than 15 years.

Seems your view is being challenged (& not for the first time). Good luck if you bother.

Would the WAFC have anywhere near that amount in reserve, to be able to loan to anyone?
Overall in cash+assets they sit on about 170M dollars, Plus The giving up of the lease in Subiaco means they got some offices gifted to them, some debt paid off.

They may be in a better financial position then the 10 Melbourne clubs combined

I thought the AFL was predicting a reduction in revenue of 400 mil not a loss of that amount?

Overall in cash+assets they sit on about 170M dollars, Plus The giving up of the lease in Subiaco means they got some offices gifted to them, some debt paid off.

They may be in a better financial position then the 10 Melbourne clubs combined

The WAFC or the Eagles? Do you know the difference ?

Can you read a Balance Sheet, the liabilities bit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, the AFL is done for. I for one will be glad when this current Junta is sacked and a new real Australian League with true fairness rises out of its ashes.

Its a loan and not free money though.

From the sounds of it, 1 more year without crowds will pretty much be the death of the sport without this style of intervention

We will give it as we have no choice. Negotiation is what and how we will be compensated

Haha as long as we make a deal...

...and at last minute change the terms and ensure all our demands are met upfront...just like 1986.

Karma is a bitch.

I am pretty sure if afl was to burn to ashes, whatever form came back we would dominate.

Problem is whatever deal is made, afl will still treat us like shite.

Why did Gil turn his nose up at $50 million in revenue on offer from the WA government?

They would be lucky getting $20 million from hosting the finals in QLD. $15 million is more realistic.

How can you say no to $30 million in revenue because you didn't want to quarantine then weeks later beg for cash to save the organisation?

The WAFC should tell Gil to **** off.

If COVID restrictions last into next year the WAFC won't be getting any of that money back any time soon.

It wasn't like all 18 teams would be quarantining in Perth, just 7 teams because West Coast would home quarantine.

Because of the allowance for 7 day quarantine, two of the teams would be back home after losing in the first week.

So effectively only 5 teams would be hubbing in Perth for any length of time.

This was unacceptable for the AFL for some reason.

As for 400 hanger ons, they all went into quarantine for two weeks when they went to QLD anyway.

What really can the AFL do to the WAFC if they say no?

For what its worth, OP has been right on a lot of things said in the past.
Well. If this somehow helps freo, then I am all for it.

I want a 3rd Team in WA and Better TV time slot deals. I dislike the AFL taking The WA teams for granted, constantly giving the WA Teams the dead slot that is the sunday twilight TV spot.

Well. If this somehow helps freo, then I am all for it.

I want a 3rd Team in WA and Better TV time slot deals. I dislike the AFL taking The WA teams for granted, constantly giving the WA Teams the dead slot that is the sunday twilight TV spot.
If the OP is true the WAFC dont have a choice. If they dont bail out the AFL there might not be an AFL past next year and then their money cows West Coast and Fremantle are worthless. Hopefully again if true there will be a financial advantage given to the WAFC within the next decade which in turn will advantage both our clubs financially too. Nothing to outright give our clubs a premiership advantage, I'm talking financially, I'd expect both clubs to be given the best timeslots for games in the next decade, amongst other things. The whole thing is fcuked but we might end up better off compared to if we dont do this and leave the comp for dead.

That’s not true at all

WAFC receives 185,000 a year from the AFL since 2001.

Go check their annual report for 2019.

Page 51, Section 4 of the notes (revenue breakdown)
AFL distribution is listed as 28,253,204 to consolidated (i.e. WAFC and it's subsidiaries...AKA, WCE & Freo) and 5,388,533 to 'WAFC inc' directly

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back