Rumour AFL asks WAFC to commit 65 mill to competition over 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

You think the WAFL is ahead of the VFL?

You do know that the VFL now was the VFA and the VFL is now the AFL, yeah?

How is that relevant?

In recent times the VFL is the seconds comp in Victoria and WAFL is the seconds comp in WA. Whichever you think is the better is completely irrelevant to the structure or the name of those comp 30 or so years ago.

How is that relevant?

In recent times the VFL is the seconds comp in Victoria and WAFL is the seconds comp in WA. Whichever you think is the better is completely irrelevant to the structure or the name of those comp 30 or so years ago.
Maybe it's irrelevant to you, but Victorians are still following the same teams they followed forever, so to us it's the same league, just expanded.

You however, jumped ship as soon as you all could to follow a different league, in fact, West Coast joined the "VFL"

I don’t think anyone is owed anything, but I do think the WAFC should not even take a phone call from the AFL if they are looking for money.
If it is true that they want a loan, let's say they did what you just said and told the AFL to go jump.

Then a couple of years down the track the AFL went belly up, then made a new comp from the ashes, how do you think your chances would be to get a gig in that comp?

If it is true that they want a loan, let's say they did what you just said and told the AFL to go jump.

Then a couple of years down the track the AFL went belly up, then made a new comp from the ashes, how do you think your chances would be to get a gig in that comp?

Good question, I would think WA would always have a side in any new start up comp. Getting told no every now and again should not be the end of the world, maybe for the AFL it might be as they don’t get told no much.

I actually think there are a great number of people that would like to see the AFL go belly up, not a majority but still a great many.
And not to lose clubs or hurt clubs but more for the actual sport itself to get sorted out. Fix the rules, the fixture etc etc.

I actually think there are a great number of people that would like to see the AFL go belly up, not a majority but still a great many.
And not to lose clubs or hurt clubs but more for the actual sport itself to get sorted out. Fix the rules, the fixture etc etc.
I agree with some of what you say, the bit about not to lose clubs or hurt clubs, i think you're trying to back away from an argument, it's well known on here how many want clubs (Victorian) to fold.

I agree with some of what you say, the bit about not to lose clubs or hurt clubs, i think you're trying to back away from an argument, it's well known on here how many want clubs (Victorian) to fold.

Im not interested in the argument as it’s been done to death. Yes there is some that want that and they are very vocal about it. I don’t want that but I do want a maximum 14 team comp at the highest level. That does not mean teams have to fold, they just play in a comp where they financially can stand. Football clubs folding and closing their doors is the worst thing that can happen.
Me wanting a 14 team comp is simply because I think it’s the right number for a home and away season, the right number for available talent. I understand however it won’t happen.

Im not interested in the argument as it’s been done to death. Yes there is some that want that and they are very vocal about it. I don’t want that but I do want a maximum 14 team comp at the highest level. That does not mean teams have to fold, they just play in a comp where they financially can stand. Football clubs folding and closing their doors is the worst thing that can happen.
Me wanting a 14 team comp is simply because I think it’s the right number for a home and away season, the right number for available talent. I understand however it won’t happen.
I think i know Victorians well enough to know, if their club folded or was banished to a lower league, then the league would lose the majority of those supporters.
The only suggestion i would give that i think you could get all support is to start a new league from scratch, 1 club per state, keep the AFL and all clubs and start 8 new clubs, i think supporters would eventually support 2 clubs

I think i know Victorians well enough to know, if their club folded or was banished to a lower league, then the league would lose the majority of those supporters.
The only suggestion i would give that i think you could get all support is to start a new league from scratch, 1 club per state, keep the AFL and all clubs and start 8 new clubs, i think supporters would eventually support 2 clubs

Wouldnt the league they are now playing in pick those supporters up? After all it has been said many times on BF no matter where we play I will support them. Why Would they not continue to support their club?

Wouldnt the league they are now playing in pick those supporters up? After all it has been said many times on BF no matter where we play I will support them. Why Would they not continue to support their club?
Because the club they support now, will still be there, playing in the same league.

What my suggestion would be is to start 8 new clubs, 1 in each state,(with the states name) this would be the top tier league, eventually IMO supporters would follow the State club and their club.

Edit: I think i misunderstood what you meant.
Yes i think most Vics would follow their club wherever it went, but i didn't mean that, i meant the AFL would lose those supporters.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One sided ? How many more home games do you want ? you already get 12 or 13 in a 22 round season which guarantees you finals every year ! One sided alright. Lol
The bleating gets louder every year. You joined a competiton and haven't shut up complaining about it ever since. If you don't win the flag every year its vicbias sooking. Grow up.
Vic bias still exists when West Coast wins the flag. It's just a hero defeats villain moment.

Because the club they support now, will still be there, playing in the same league.

What my suggestion would be is to start 8 new clubs, 1 in each state,(with the states name) this would be the top tier league, eventually IMO supporters would follow the State club and their club.

Edit: I think i misunderstood what you meant.
Yes i think most Vics would follow their club wherever it went, but i didn't mean that, i meant the AFL would lose those supporters.

Do you really think Victorians Would embrace such a concept you have put forward?

Do you really think Victorians Would embrace such a concept you have put forward?
I think eventually they would, it's not like they have to abandon their club.

This is my thoughts, the AFL is still, in the minds of most Vics the same league, most still have the same rivalries and don't care much about us v them, but non-Vics have the us v them attitude, change that to state teams and you may change the minds of a lot of Victorians

One sided ? How many more home games do you want ? you already get 12 or 13 in a 22 round season which guarantees you finals every year ! One sided alright. Lol
The bleating gets louder every year. You joined a competiton and haven't shut up complaining about it ever since. If you don't win the flag every year its vicbias sooking. Grow up.
Yes that's right, way to vicentric, better to start from scratch and make it fair for all teams, play each other twice home away, governing body made up of reps form each club, revolving GF etc, obviously bin some teams from victoria, just a fair comp for all that contribute.

I think eventually they would, it's not like they have to abandon their club.

This is my thoughts, the AFL is still, in the minds of most Vics the same league, most still have the same rivalries and don't care much about us v them, but non-Vics have the us v them attitude, change that to state teams and you may change the minds of a lot of Victorians

I think the us v them is great for the game, that mainly only the non Vics get into it is a bit sad. It’s jus banter most of the time and doesn’t really effect much at all.

I think the us v them is great for the game, that mainly only the non Vics get into it is a bit sad. It’s jus banter most of the time and doesn’t really effect much at all.
The trouble i see, i may be wrong, but it comes across like it, is you have Freo v WC, Port v Adelaide, and now Syd v GWS and soon Bris v GC rivalries, but then it's Victorian teams, there doesn't seem a lot of WC v Bris or Adelaide etc.

The trouble i see, i may be wrong, but it comes across like it, is you have Freo v WC, Port v Adelaide, and now Syd v GWS and soon Bris v GC rivalries, but then it's Victorian teams, there doesn't seem a lot of WC v Bris or Adelaide etc.

I can only talk for what I see here in WA, the VFL going national really hurt the league I love the most which is the WAFL. I didn’t desert the WAFL and I still support it as strongly as ever but the vast majority dumped it.
Rightly or wrongly the VFL got the cake and got to eat it and everyone else has been on life support ever since, I hate that my club can never be in the AFL but that’s just how it is.
Seeing Victorians as big bad enemy has become a pet subject for many and funnily enough I think it’s great fir the sport. I yhink deep down though if you are a true footy lover you respect the history and tradition of the Vic clubs but as so many of them shat on their own WAFL clubs who had the same history and tradition then one would have to question that.
I love the banter with you and many other Vic posters, not going to agree on everything and it would be boring if we did. But it’s fun all the same and if people are losing sleep and getting wound up over comments on a forum then they are all taking it way to serious.

Vic Bias 100%.

Last year, Fremantle and West Coast got $20m from the AFL. St Kilda got $17m and The Blues $15m.

WA percentage wise get less funding than Victorian at grass root football.

West Coast a powerhouse Got less Friday night games than Carlton last year.

Fremantle get the horrible TV spots, yet got the equal lowest amount of funding from the AFL.

Give the Northern teams more money and the traditional state teams equal money.

If the smaller Victorian can’t pull their weight they need to relocate, merge or fold.
Freo wouldn't exist right now if it weren't for the lower Victorian clubs... like you realise that right?

In 1986 Subiaco beat St Kilda by 7 goals.

St Kilda shouldn't be in the AFL and wouldn't have made the WAFL top 4 in 1986.
And claremont belted freo after freo poached their head coach and best players.

Are you saying claremont should be in the AFL ahead of freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back