AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL make business decisions that reduces Fremantle ability to make money like no Friday games but smaller Victorian teams get assistance when they are disadvantage.

Sure TV dictate the timeslots but the AFL make the fixtures.

Fremantle shouldn't get Friday nights due to being boring, not a contender and don't rate well. Maybe, Melbourne, Carlton and North Melbourne should get the same treatment.

I have no problem with Collingwood or Richmond getting a lot of Friday games as they rate better and they are in contention for a flag.

Its a massive joke that we start the season with Richmond playing a rubbish Blues side every year.

The bias towards certain teams for Friday night footy has less to do with teams being "boring & not a contender" but everything to do with who would rate. There's a percentage of supporters that will watch a Friday night game no matter who is playing (let's say 30-40% of the audience) but the majority of supporters for those games come from the fans of the two competing clubs.

Of the following supporter bases which do you think will have a higher TV audience:
  • North Melbourne, Melbourne or Carlton supporters at 7:40pm on a Friday night (with plenty of time for post-work drinks, dinner, etc.)
  • Fremantle supporters at 5:40pm (who finished work either 10 or 40 minutes beforehand).

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
The bias towards certain teams for Friday night footy has less to do with teams being "boring & not a contender" but everything to do with who would rate. There's a percentage of supporters that will watch a Friday night game no matter who is playing (let's say 30-40% of the audience) but the majority of supporters for those games come from the fans of the two competing clubs.

Of the following supporter bases which do you think will have a higher TV audience:
  • North Melbourne, Melbourne or Carlton supporters at 7:40pm on a Friday night (with plenty of time for post-work drinks, dinner, etc.)
  • Fremantle supporters at 5:40pm (who finished work either 10 or 40 minutes beforehand).
I get what you are saying, but IMO it goes deeper than that.

WA and SA supporters were VFL supporters also, i would say some still have soft spots for the clubs they used to support.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I get what you are saying, but IMO it goes deeper than that.

WA and SA supporters were VFL supporters also, i would say some still have soft spots for the clubs they used to support.

The TV rights holders who pay the money rightfully have a big say.

Fremantle exists solely because the VFL sides were deeply concerned that the West Coast Eagles would have complete access to all WA talent seeking to return home, taking up the plum roles for SGIO and Hungry Jacks for an extra $50,000 a season not on the salary cap. That the Eagles would have a team of B to A grade players all playing for under their market value because they would prefer to play at home.

And they were right. Being the only show in town, extremely successful and untouchable - the Eagles would own their own stadium by now and pull in $50,000,000 a season.

A decade worth of former players working the admin behind the scenes post career for $200,000 a year for very little contact time. Dropping into schools to run coaching clinics, down to park football clubs to do the same for a week of training - WAFL club involvement too.

Spending literally millions to take AFL football to the regions of northern WA that barely see any investment, capturing the hearts of children early. Junior talent pathways and educational scholarships, they would be asking for a trade home before their name had finished being read out at the draft.

If Freo didn't exist I would have made West Coast the most dominant sporting organisation on this continent.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
LMAO, i don't think you are even reading my posts.

I said earlier, i want no clubs to fold.

Now, TV ratings?

If you had a brain that functioned properly, where would you focus on, 2 mill in WA or 6 mill in Vic?
If you are going on tv ratings and adding population then Freo is still in front. 2 million between two teams and 6 million between 10 teams. You can do the easy math, support.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Fremantle exists solely because the VFL sides were deeply concerned that the West Coast Eagles would have complete access to all WA talent seeking to return home, taking up the plum roles for SGIO and Hungry Jacks for an extra $50,000 a season not on the salary cap. That the Eagles would have a team of B to A grade players all playing for under their market value because they would prefer to play at home.

And they were right. Being the only show in town, extremely successful and untouchable - the Eagles would own their own stadium by now and pull in $50,000,000 a season.

A decade worth of former players working the admin behind the scenes post career for $200,000 a year for very little contact time. Dropping into schools to run coaching clinics, down to park football clubs to do the same for a week of training - WAFL club involvement too.

Spending literally millions to take AFL football to the regions of northern WA that barely see any investment, capturing the hearts of children early. Junior talent pathways and educational scholarships, they would be asking for a trade home before their name had finished being read out at the draft.

If Freo didn't exist I would have made West Coast the most dominant sporting organisation on this continent.
Gave me a semi reading that...

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Another who has no idea what my point is.

Go read my posts, i don't want anyone to fold.

And reading posts for many years now, this has f*&^% all to do with money, it's WA fans wanting less Vic clubs, not one of you would give a rats if Collingwood folded.

Not true and far from it.

Collingwood are a great club and look after themselves financially. So why w9uld they fold?

I have a growing respect for the Pies, and importantly all clubs love facethem in grand finals.

As for reading posts for years.......we are debating who can survive post covid in tough financial times. Who has needed propping up before this downturn and can / should they survive? So if in the past 10 years a club has struggled financially how the hell will they survive now? By borrowing money off WA football clubs and the WAFL?

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Let them burn and start a new comp thats not so one sided.
One sided ? How many more home games do you want ? you already get 12 or 13 in a 22 round season which guarantees you finals every year ! One sided alright. Lol
The bleating gets louder every year. You joined a competiton and haven't shut up complaining about it ever since. If you don't win the flag every year its vicbias sooking. Grow up.
The new comp will be owned and run by WAFC and the Eags. We might invite some Vics.;)

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not true and far from it.

Collingwood are a great club and look after themselves financially. So why w9uld they fold?

I have a growing respect for the Pies, and importantly all clubs love facethem in grand finals.

As for reading posts for years.......we are debating who can survive post covid in tough financial times. Who has needed propping up before this downturn and can / should they survive? So if in the past 10 years a club has struggled financially how the hell will they survive now? By borrowing money off WA football clubs and the WAFL?
That's bullshit and you know it, this has been going on for years.

Read my posts above, i am not explaining myself again.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
That's bullshit and you know it, this has been going on for years.

Read my posts above, i am not explaining myself again.

To be fair, you did start this with your misplaced comments saying Fremantle should fold, while also maintaining you don't want any clubs to fold.

Has been enjoyable to watch you get hit over the head post after post.

No doubt, being the noob you are, you will just go to a new thread and pick this same argument.

Hence your belief 'this has been going on for years'.

What you fail to realise, is YOU are the problem.

Last edited:
Back