Discussion AFL Awards Night 2020 - Jack Steele All-Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Butts will just be happy to be playing finals.
Ask Gawn if he would prefer to be sitting on the AA bench or still in the premiership race I’m pretty sure what he would answer.

Great effort from this kid from being picked by GWS as a pick 24 in the draft and not really getting the game time he wanted , he bit the bullet and tride his luck at St Kilda and has developed into just about our best player ---- great stuff Jack

Quality inside-outside mids win games. Quality small forwards or wingers don’t.

Can't have it both ways though.

If the team is selected on a 'who would you rather have?' basis then Danger, Dusty and Bont are going to be picking up jackets every year until they retire. Sure, everyone would take Dusty in their team before Butler but that's not the point.

Most years I can defend the bizarre selections but how Butler misses is beyond me.

So where does that leave defenders then? Its a nonsense "team" for 2020 - may as well just call it the "AFL Best 22" - at least it would be more accurate.

Having quality pressure forwards is instrumental to winning games these days - every team is looking for that combination of scoring power and pressure to retain the ball in the forward half and to exclude the likes of Papley/Butler in favour of Dangerfield/Bont is ridiculous.

Patrick Dangerfield is a great player but he's not a pressure forward (but then again he is president of the AFLPA and without their support this season would not have happened.)

What a dumb stupid thing to say, ever seen or heard of Cyril Rioli, Stephen Milne, Eddie Betts, Kevin Bartlett? They just might have won a few games off their own boots over the years.

Thought the Backline was spot on.

How Gawn gets in is the main shock. Missed games and wasn’t that great when he was in.

They would’ve been better switching Bont to the bench, dusty out the flank and Butler or Papley in the pocket.

Inside 50 tackles and Goals are the definition of being a Small Forward and to have the leader in both stats not in the team is hard to take.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's a representative team of the year gone by. They shouldn't bother calling it a team if they're just going to pick 10 genuine midfielders. Not one team in the comp would line up with the team structure that was listed last night.

Also, small forwards most definitely do win games.

So, If the forwards aren't marking it then who's crumbing and applying forward 50 pressure to keep it in? Sure is s**t ain't Danger. Butler being overlooked is just another indication that mids are the only players in the comp recognised for anything (Or if your name is Nic Naitanui).

I think the team is pretty accurate, Steel on the bench is a good result, he would change out with Boak in as real game, so i am ok with this.

Butler to miss out over Ryan is a bit "How ya going" I rate Ryan and love watching him play but when picking this side you need to look at impact on a team and i think Butler is the choice. i know stats don't tell a full story but in a position where you are judged on your scoring ability and pressure i think they do paint more of a picture than comparing say Scott Pendlburys precise 20 touches but opting for Clayton Oliver because he gets 30 Hack Touches, its apples and oranges.

Liam Ryan V Dan Butler is Comparing apples with apples. based on the below i think Butler is a little stiff.

Ryan Butler
GAMES 17 17
AV DISPOSALS PG 10.5 10.8
EFFICIENCY (SEASON AV) 62% 65%
GOALS (SEASON) 25 27
SCORE INVOLVMENT (SEASON AV) 5.6 4.5
TACKLES (SEASON AV) 1.8 3.9
METERS GAIN (SEASON AV) 196 250

in saying this I think Dusty forward is a good selection he plays alot of time forward, particular when Presita, Cotchin, Bolton and Edwards are all in the side so i have no issue with that and he can command a 50 meter clear out as well as any so to say he shouldn't be there is a bit off i think. the position her replaces is Liam Ryan for mine.

Any way Cheers Pepper Money for my tickets to next weeks game this will be saints game #10 for me live this year.

GO SAINTS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the team is pretty accurate, Steel on the bench is a good result, he would change out with Boak in as real game, so i am ok with this.

Butler to miss out over Ryan is a bit "How ya going" I rate Ryan and love watching him play but when picking this side you need to look at impact on a team and i think Butler is the choice. i know stats don't tell a full story but in a position where you are judged on your scoring ability and pressure i think they do paint more of a picture than comparing say Scott Pendlburys precise 20 touches but opting for Clayton Oliver because he gets 30 Hack Touches, its apples and oranges.

Liam Ryan V Dan Butler is Comparing apples with apples. based on the below i think Butler is a little stiff.

Ryan Butler
GAMES 17 17
AV DISPOSALS PG 10.5 10.8
EFFICIENCY (SEASON AV) 62% 65%
GOALS (SEASON) 25 27
SCORE INVOLVMENT (SEASON AV) 5.6 4.5
TACKLES (SEASON AV) 1.8 3.9
METERS GAIN (SEASON AV) 196 250

in saying this I think Dusty forward is a good selection he plays alot of time forward, particular when Presita, Cotchin, Bolton and Edwards are all in the side so i have no issue with that and he can command a 50 meter clear out as well as any so to say he shouldn't be there is a bit off i think. the position her replaces is Liam Ryan for mine.

Any way Cheers Pepper Money for my tickets to next weeks game this will be saints game #10 for me live this year.

GO SAINTS
My gripe with Steele on the bench is that they named 8 inside mids on the field. Thats saying there were 8 inside mids this year who were better than him, which is just incorrect and not reflective of the 2020 season.

Really don’t care about the AA snubs and what not, it’s irrelevant really. Next weekend is what actually matters.

The thing that pains me is seeing all these accolades for Petracca, he could have really propelled us.

Butler was robbed. Best offensive small forward. Best defensive small forward. But not enough midfield time to warrant being selected as a forward.

At least he made the first list. May was very good this year and wasn't even nominated. There were a few picked on reputation this year.

At least he made the first list. May was very good this year and wasn't even nominated. There were a few picked on reputation this year.
There are a good 7-8 who made it on their reputation.

May should have been in a squad but it was such a deep year for key defenders that it is also hard to argue with any of Andrews, Moore, Weitering or Jonas being in instead. May was unlucky that Gawn and Oliver were included in the squad despite him having a better year than both, so he was omitted because 4 players from a non-finals side wouldnt have gone down well.

Thought the Backline was spot on.

How Gawn gets in is the main shock. Missed games and wasn’t that great when he was in.

They would’ve been better switching Bont to the bench, dusty out the flank and Butler or Papley in the pocket.

Inside 50 tackles and Goals are the definition of being a Small Forward and to have the leader in both stats not in the team is hard to take.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I have to say I agree with this post. As a Dogs supporter I think Bont was a borderline selection this year. He definitely had some amazing games but he also went missing a few times particularly early on. If he makes it, I think it should have been on the bench. Don’t agree with Gawn in the team, and Butler should have made it in the forward pocket. He has been the best and most consistent small forward this year in my view. Better than Papley who started strong but faded. Most of the other spots I can’t argue with although I would have also had Steele in the first 18 probably at the expense of Guthrie but can’t quibble too much with the other selections.
From a Dogs point of view I’m glad Caleb Daniel was recognised, he has been our best player this year I think and controls the whole game from half back. Not sure what you guys have planned for him next weekend but I’m sure Ratten will be thinking of how to negate his influence.
Saints have had an awesome year, I’m looking forward to the Dogs and Saints having a great game. If you guys win I’ll be an honorary Saints supporter till you get knocked out or win it all. My brother is a passionate Saints man so I watch most of their games and would be happy to see them win almost as much as the Dogs.

Good luck boys

I am still utterly disgusted that Steele wasn’t named on the field. I can’t think of any other player that has had the level of influence over his team winning as consistently as Steele. He is the hottest player in the comp ATM FFS.

As for Butler missing out, how can he compete with channel 7’s “mates”? The commentary discusses “Bont”, “Danger” & “Dusty” like they are their mates from the local pub. It’s pathetic. I have no respect for the incredibly unprofessional idiots that call themselves commentators.

Butler was robbed. Best offensive small forward. Best defensive small forward. But not enough midfield time to warrant being selected as a forward.

Butler’s learning very early in the piece about the downside of being a Saints player, recognition-wise.
Lucky we’ve got him signed up. 😊

Butler’s learning very early in the piece about the downside of being a Saints player, recognition-wise.
Lucky we’ve got him signed up. 😊
Richmond board reckons he got snubbed because he used to wear their colours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back