Discussion AFL Awards Night 2020 - Jack Steele All-Australian

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
Butler was robbed. It would have taken Danger and Bont almost another 4 games each at the rate they were going at, to catch Butler's goal tally.

He was robbed.

RectangularSlowAnt-size_restricted.gif

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's just good to see the boys who busted their guts all year get credit where it is deserved. Butler & Steele both deserved to make it. Sure Martin & Dangerfield did too, but it should be about positions. Basically saying small forwards don't matter. I feel bad for Butts. He deserves an accolade like this, even if he doesn't care about it personally.
The best forwards should be named forward and the left over mids named on the bench.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
To be honest I was expecting Ryan and Papley to sneak in in front of Butler, but to only see one get in has left me a little triggered.

Max Gawn on the bench is surely a gee up.

It’s slightly amusing they picked blokes who actually play wing (sometimes) only to then fill the forward line with midfielders again

Honestly, I think Nat Fyfe is pretty stiff. He's had a big year, especially when he's gone forward. Would have had him earmarked for the full forward spot. I know that Hawkins kicked a lot of goals this year, but he doesn't push up the ground much so I would have had him out of the team.

Club knows it was a rort anyway. This was pre-recorded so club knew about it earlier today.

Look at the massive piece they've put out on Butler today.
Club should be just give the old middle finger. We really need to start snubbing the footy media a bit.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Honestly, I think Nat Fyfe is pretty stiff. He's had a big year, especially when he's gone forward. Would have had him earmarked for the full forward spot. I know that Hawkins kicked a lot of goals this year, but he doesn't push up the ground much so I would have had him out of the team.

Should just cut the pretence. Pick 18 midfielders, 1 key defender, the Coleman medalist and 2 pure ruckmen. Done ;)

But yeah not salty at all

Confuscius

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NY Jets, Storm, Liverpool, Thunder
I'm actually pretty pissed off about this.

Butler Papley Gunston Wallis...

It's hard enough to get into the side as it is but then they put forward the season of their lives (in Butler case anyway) and the selectors choose to name 3 forwards so they can select 3 big name mids they've got a love affair with.

Bont Dusty and Danger have enough ******* jackets, Butler may never be in this spot again he deserves some credit. Those 3 combined for 37 goals it's just not right

And danger named captain despite not good enough for the 3 middle spots + 2 wings (which they use for mids anyway)

So not top 5 mid but yeah captain
******* LOL

Phoenix_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lol just a joke having Guthrie starting and Steeley on the bench. Max Gawn..just lol..how many games did he play this year. He's been average at best. All about reputations..

On ONEPLUS A5000 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gawn played 14/17 games, that’s plenty. He also averaged the most SC points out of ALL players. They usually pick 2 ruckmen and he was definitely in the top 2 in 2020.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
When i saw DBJ named i said to myself is Ling a selector because he's had a major wank fest over him anytime Port plays. So i do a google search on who the selectors are and lo and behold. Not saying DBJ is not deserving either but i can see a couple of aging dinosaurs who should be moved on, a couple of nuffies who shouldn't even be there and a couple of others who are there because of the position they hold at AFL HQ so they get a say by default.

I would much rather have journalists or ex coaches select the team.

The All-Australian team is chosen by a panel comprising of AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan (chairman), Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Steve Hocking, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.

Says it all really...Ling, Richardson, Tredrea, Darcy not a clue between them.

Primed4Glory

Debutant
Jan 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Overall the team is ok. The forward 6 is a disgrace with 3 mids but overall it’s a fairly close assessment of the year.
I think the All Australian team needs to do 1 or 2 things to make it clearer why players are being picked.
Either 1 pick players by positions only. Use heat maps if you have to or 2 just pick the best 22 players of the year and dont put players in positions.
You can’t have it both ways or it comes across as a joke.

Back