Discussion AFL Awards Night 2020 - Jack Steele All-Australian

Dusty and Dangerfield can be potent and deadly in a forward line, but not consistently so. I have seen them both get shifted forward and make little impact too. I think there is a conflating of their midfield stats and their forward 50 stats that makes them seem larger in that space than they actually are.

The other issue I have with their selections in the forward line is that quite often they are moved forward because either:

1) they aren’t finding it in the midfield and the coach is looking to regain momentum by giving an alternative player a bigger role.

or

2) their big key forwards are struggling forward and these two present really tough matchups especially when they start deep and get space cleared out. I feel like neither ever gets shifted forward to displace a misfiring small.

Neither Dusty or Danger has been a better forward, let alone small forward, than Dan Butler this year.

In fact I’d still have Charlie Cameron ahead of both of them in this space.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Brad Sheppard, what am I missing?

16 disposals
6 marks
4 spoils
3 rebound 50's

Has registered 22 contested one on ones… and lost 8 of them.

For reference - Wilkie had 40 contested one on ones for 6 losses.

I can only think of about 50-100 better defenders and if they are going to replace forwards with midfielders because they are better players, then I can think of around 200-300 players better than Sheppard.

Brad Sheppard, what am I missing?

16 disposals
6 marks
4 spoils
3 rebound 50's

Has registered 22 contested one on ones… and lost 8 of them.

For reference - Wilkie had 40 contested one on ones for 6 losses.

I can only think of about 50-100 better defenders and if they are going to replace forwards with midfielders because they are better players, then I can think of around 200-300 players better than Sheppard.

He’s a good defender but perhaps it’s reputation, defender stats can be misleading too. Haven’t watched them enough this year to decide if he deserved it.

Back