AFL Awards season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t say I agree.

an ICC test team of the year doesn’t pick two wicketkeepers just because two of them had a great year with the bat.

it doesn’t leave batsmen out because 6 bowlers had excellent years.

there has always been a tendency to squeeze players into spots because they have had an outstanding year, but it’s been maybe 1-2 players in the starting side, and a few on the bench.

it’s getting worse and worse every year.

now the reality is that if Dangerfield played as a permanent forward, he’d probably be better there than basically 95 per cent of forwards and he’d get picked on his merits.
But he’s not a permanent forward. He’s a midfielder who goes there for a few patches a game.

so why pick him there?

if, in a parallel universe, Blicavs’ stints in the ruck, for 10-15 minutes a game, were as good as Natanui’s or Gawn’s ruck work, he still wouldn’t be picked for the AA team as a ruckman would he. He would have to show that he could produce that level for games at a time.

I don’t disagree that danger should have been somewhere in the squad.

I don’t disagree that Guthrie should have been somewhere in there.

But they aren’t playing anyone. You aren’t picking a team to win a game. You are picking. Team to recognise the best players in their roles in the competition. They have not done this
The other argument is . How can there be a legit AA Team without Paddy Dangerfield and Dustin Martin? They have to be in.
Unfortunately papley and butler had long spells of poor form. They didn’t deserve to get in.

Is the AA the best player in their position OR the best 22 players in the game

Needs some sort of rejig because its farcical at the moment

and is it purely on 2020 or the overall ‘body of work’
Need to sort out what it actually is

Is the AA the best player in their position OR the best 22 players in the game

Needs some sort of rejig because its farcical at the moment

and is it purely on 2020 or the overall ‘body of work’
Need to sort out what it actually is
They hedge their bets a bit I think. They want the best players, but try to make it a positional team with some flaws of course.

They hedge their bets a bit I think. They want the best players, but try to make it a positional team with some flaws of course.

I can agree with 1-2 of those but each year it seems to be more and more in on reputation
Fortunately they never have to play anyone

so as much as it is a nice honour it’s nothing like a cap in an international sport

I didn’t think Danger’s year was that good, but I haven’t followed other teams & players as closely this year as to who could have kept him out.

Hopefully he has a big finals series. I feel he has a reputation that is a fair way ahead of his performances thus far in big games for Geelong, hopefully the two can sync up.

As per champion data rating points, we'd actually have 4 players in the AA team

Does this also show a flaw in the champion data ratings based on who makes the team, starters versus bench etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder how many votes Tommy gets against st.kilda and port with his 5 & 6 goal hauls respectively.
1 & 2 votes respectively - he's never been one to poll high with the umpires

I would have to say the B&F is between Guthrie, Gola, Hawkins and Blics
Gotta agree with that

Still going with Dangerfield to poll most Brownlow votes for the club though

Let's go with some last minute Brownlow predictions - prize is bragging rights...

- Top 5 (in order)

- # Votes winner/s will poll

- Top 3 Geelong players (in order)

- Top 5 (in order)
1.danger
2.neal
3.boak
4.c. daniel
5.petracca

- # Votes winner/s will poll

- Top 3 Geelong players (in order)
1.danger