AFL Awards season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many ahead of Blitz for the final team but the other four have genuine claims to making the 22 (obv. Hawk is a lock).
Guth
Mena
Hawkins

Dangerfield doesn't deserve it this year and Blicavs being our spakfilla player will mean he misses out.

Winners from night 1 of the AFLPA awards:

Best Captain
116 votes: Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
98 votes: Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs)
90 votes: Tom Jonas (Port Adelaide)
54 votes: Joel Selwood (Geelong)
51 votes: Trent Cotchin (Richmond)

Best First-Year Player
340 votes: Caleb Serong (Fremantle)
158 votes: Noah Anderson (Gold Coast)
47 votes: Will Day (Hawthorn)
30 votes: Lachie Ash (Greater Western Sydney)
22 votes: Mitch Georgiades (Port Adelaide)

Robert Rose Most Courageous Player
113 votes: Dane Rampe (Sydney)
95 votes: Jack Steele (St Kilda)
89 votes: Jack Viney (Melbourne)
61 votes: Tom Jonas (Port Adelaide)
47 votes: Liam Duggan (West Coast)

Winners from night 1 of the AFLPA awards:

Best Captain
116 votes: Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
98 votes: Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs)
90 votes: Tom Jonas (Port Adelaide)
54 votes: Joel Selwood (Geelong)
51 votes: Trent Cotchin (Richmond)

Good to see (but not surprising) that the skipper still commands plenty of respect across the comp.

Said it in previous years but will say it again.

I’m near certain that Danger’s omission from the GFC AFLPA MVP nominations has a direct correlation with his presidency of the AFLPA.

Possibly form related, but coincidentally Pavlich was not nominated for freo in 2015-16 whilst he was president either.

Said it in previous years but will say it again.

I’m near certain that Danger’s omission from the GFC AFLPA MVP nominations has a direct correlation with his presidency of the AFLPA.

Possibly form related, but coincidentally Pavlich was not nominated for freo in 2015-16 whilst he was president either.

Actually that's a really good point & something I hadn't thought about - wouldn't be surprised if it makes him ineligible as surely it wouldn't be a good look for the AFLPA President to win the MVP, and would raise a few eyebrows

Danger was appointed in 2018 - the same time he stop being nominated

Awarded to the best player inside the first two seasons of their AFL careers based on the weekly AFLCA Player of the Year votes, Walsh was the runaway winner ahead of Port Adelaide's Connor Rozee and the Western Bulldogs' Bailey Smith.

AFLCA BEST YOUNG PLAYER
64 votes: Sam Walsh (Carlton)
33 votes: Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide)
27 votes: Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs)

Interesting that Tim Kelly is not included in the 40 squad for the All Australian team and is unlikely to be in the top few on brownlow night. He's had an ok year although a poor start to the season. There have been times when he has looked brilliant roving from Nic Nat and bursting through stoppages but it goes to show how well he was playing at Geelong and how well the cats used him when he was here. We would have loved to have him at the club for 10 years and I hope he has a good career. But perhaps it can be a good win for Geelong anyway if we can turn those picks into good players and perhaps use some of the money we had set aside for him for a free agent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping Dangerfield gets named in the final 22, on a forward flank especially. This website will just about implode reading the mainbored thread. :straining:
What? On the mainboard a lot of non geelong posters have dangerfield in their all australian team. Oddly enough its geelong posters who are telling other posters not to put dangerfield in their team.

Guth
Mena
Hawkins

Dangerfield doesn't deserve it this year and Blicavs being our spakfilla player will mean he misses out.
Gerard Healy reckons Blitz should be automatic selection because he is the only genuine and in-form utility player in the AFL.

Mitch Duncan is the one that surprises me, not because he wasn't selected in the squad of 40, but because for much of the season he played like an elite mid / winger who was destined for AA and then fell right away. He will finish his career with nothing when he could and should have been AA and probably won a B&F along the way

Mitch Duncan is the one that surprises me, not because he wasn't selected in the squad of 40, but because for much of the season he played like an elite mid / winger who was destined for AA and then fell right away. He will finish his career with nothing when he could and should have been AA and probably won a B&F along the way
I'm backing him for a good finals series.

Is the event live? Fox Footy isn't showing the LIVE like they do for games...
Not sure, but saw this - so if they match up then I would guess the answer is yes it's live

That feed is just going off what they announce on the Fox coverage, it feels pre-recorded.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was pre-recorded - isn't everything being streamed, so maybe pre-owned recording in case of issues

Though would have thought they'd use this as a trial run for the Brownlow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back