AFL Awards season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on the club for having this ready to go, but would have been nice to see some acknowledgment for Guthrie's first blazer & Hawkins with his 3rd

There is no way Danger should have been in that team

He's the most damaging mid in the comp. Hardly surprising that he makes it.

Neale just won the MVP with output of 11 goals & 1 goal assist. Danger had 11 goals and 19 goal assists. Obviously I'm not saying Danger had a better year than Neale but that's a non-trivial statistical discrepancy in their scoreboard impact, and it's a difference that actually matters. We get desensitised to how good he is. If any other player had produced the year he did we'd be salivating over their output.

Neale just won the MVP with output of 11 goals & 1 goal assist. Danger had 11 goals and 19 goal assists. Obviously I'm not saying Danger had a better year than Neale but that's a non-trivial statistical discrepancy in their scoreboard impact, and it's a difference that actually matters. We get desensitised to how good he is. If any other player had produced the year he did we'd be salivating over their output.
I read that on the weekend. For all of the possessions Neale had this year, his first assist was in the second last round. Astonishing stat.

Final votes for AFLPA & AFLCA

AFLPA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER
1120 votes: Lachie Neale (Brisbane)
419 votes: Travis Boak (Port Adelaide)
398 votes: Christian Petracca (Melbourne)
370 votes: Tom Hawkins (Geelong)
207 votes: Jack Steele (St Kilda)

AFLCA PLAYER OF THE YEAR
93 votes: Lachie Neale (Brisbane)
78 votes: Christian Petracca (Melbourne)
77 votes: Travis Boak (Port Adelaide)
72 votes: Jack Steele (St Kilda)
60 votes: Taylor Adams (Collingwood)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read that on the weekend. For all of the possessions Neale had this year, his first assist was in the second last round. Astonishing stat.

and he rarely kicks goals. He is a much better footballer than what Matt Priddis was but to me, great midfielders hit the scoreboard as it shows off their true versatility.
Bartel could do it, Judd could do it, Cousins could do it, Fyfe, Jnr, Swan, they all kicked goals regularly.

Now it makes sense. Had to shoehorn him in the team to make him captain.

Butler 27 goals. (73% of the 3 'forwards' combined)
Papley 26 goals. (70%)
Gunston 31 goals. (84%)

Dangerfield 11 goals.
Martin 15 goals.
Bontempelli 11 goals.

We always seem harshest on our own players

No doubt that Dangers numbers are down on previous years but that can be put down to various reasons:
- shorter quarters & shorter matches will generally mean less stat accumulation

- other players standing up, taking more responsibilty & more of the load; Guthrie, Menegola, Duncan etc, even Parfitt has been good even if he's not the stat accumulator like others

- we are less reliant on Danger this year than previous years for the point listed above. With others stepping up it's meant that Danger doesn't need to carry the midfield on his own

So while he's numbers may be down, not sure you could say he's impacts dropped away

MVP voting is also mostly BS.
Over half of the players don't watch any games and those who do, don't take it seriously enough. Hence why the MVP now tends to mirror the coaches award and other media awards.
The players just don't care enough.
Also the fact half the players wouldn’t have to play on him, as a midfielder I guess you would notice more how good midfielders are.
Let’s face it though, Neale has been incredible all years, Hawkins has been outstanding for the past 8 weeks
Neale deserved it

Who had the most ever All Australians
8 is the current record - and a few played for Geelong:

Patrick Dangerfield has created history tonight becoming just the sixth player to have been selected in eight All Australian teams.

Dangerfield joins an elite group comprising of Gary Ablett Snr, Gary Ablett Jnr, Lance Franklin, Robert Harvey and Mark Riccuito.

8 is the current record - and a few played for Geelong:

Patrick Dangerfield has created history tonight becoming just the sixth player to have been selected in eight All Australian teams.

Dangerfield joins an elite group comprising of Gary Ablett Snr, Gary Ablett Jnr, Lance Franklin, Robert Harvey and Mark Riccuito.

Still annoys me GAJ was robbed of his rightful ninth AA jumper last year. :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back