AFL Awards season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

8 is the current record - and a few played for Geelong:

Patrick Dangerfield has created history tonight becoming just the sixth player to have been selected in eight All Australian teams.

Dangerfield joins an elite group comprising of Gary Ablett Snr, Gary Ablett Jnr, Lance Franklin, Robert Harvey and Mark Riccuito.

So no one has ever had 9? He’s a massive chance

What would yours have been?

I'd have gone with:

Dangerfield Dixon Martin
Gunston Hawkins Ryan

Guys who don't play primarily as mids, there are plenty of small and medium forwards who had kicked twice as many goals but were overlooked because they wanted to fit in more names.

Martin 15 goals
Dangerfield 11 goals
Bontempelli 11 goals

Gunston 31 goals
Butler 27 goals
Papley 26 goals
Cameron 26 goals

- we are less reliant on Danger this year than previous years for the point listed above. With others stepping up it's meant that Danger doesn't need to carry the midfield on his own

Paddy was almost the difference in getting us over the line against the Bulldogs. Had 18 disposals in the 2nd half.
Again just this past round, not sure would have won without him either. Two games alone where he helped us finish top four.

Guys who don't play primarily as mids, there are plenty of small and medium forwards who had kicked twice as many goals but were overlooked because they wanted to fit in more names.

Martin 15 goals
Dangerfield 11 goals
Bontempelli 11 goals

Gunston 31 goals
Butler 27 goals
Papley 26 goals
Cameron 26 goals
It's a bit like the All NBA team how they have a first and second team.
The first midfield is named in the midfield, the second string mid group is just named in the forward line.

Paddy was almost the difference in getting us over the line against the Bulldogs. Had 18 disposals in the 2nd half.
Again just this past round, not sure would have won without him either. Two games alone where he helped us finish top four.

I'm not arguing that he hasn't played those big games or that he hasn't had big moments in games, but week to week he hasn't needed to do it all on his own, get 30+ disposals & control the midfield etc

We've definitely had more contributors across the season, rather than being reliant on a few standout players carrying bulk of the load

Martin 15 goals
Dangerfield 11 goals
Bontempelli 11 goals

Gunston 31 goals
Butler 27 goals
Papley 26 goals
Cameron 26 goals

Like I said to someone else earlier, usually I'd be on your side of the argument, but I just feel that the small forwards have been mediocre this year. I've watched a fair bit of Sydney and Papley has been MIA for the entire second half of the season (except the game against us) so I just don't see how a place for him can be justified. Same goes for Cameron who has been underwhelming whenever I've seen him play this year. Haven't seen as much of Butler though to be fair so I concede he may have merited selection.

It's possible I'm being unduly harsh in my appraisal of the small forwards but I just feel like in comparison to previous years it's a weak crop.

We've definitely had more contributors across the season, rather than being reliant on a few standout players carrying bulk of the load

Pretty cool to think how previously the meme was we were too reliant on Dangerwood, but now our entire front-line midfield group (Selwood, Danger, Guthrie, Duncan, Menegola) has either made AA or made an AA squad at some point in their career.

Martin 15 goals
Dangerfield 11 goals
Bontempelli 11 goals

Gunston 31 goals
Butler 27 goals
Papley 26 goals
Cameron 26 goals

20/31 of Gunston's goals came against teams that finished mid table or bottom.
Cameron same deal. Went missing against most of the good teams but played his best against the weaklings. Check the stats https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/C/Charlie_Cameron.html

Like I said to someone else earlier, usually I'd be on your side of the argument, but I just feel that the small forwards have been mediocre this year. I've watched a fair bit of Sydney and Papley has been MIA for the entire second half of the season (except the game against us) so I just don't see how a place for him can be justified. Same goes for Cameron who has been underwhelming whenever I've seen him play this year. Haven't seen as much of Butler though to be fair so I concede he may have merited selection.

It's possible I'm being unduly harsh in my appraisal of the small forwards but I just feel like in comparison to previous years it's a weak crop.

For me they should only competing with each other, small forwards were killing it in the start of the year, I can understand that we may suffer from a recency bias.

Geelong games aside I generally watch parts of other matches so all I can fall back on is stats. They have each had the equivalent to a 40 goal seasons as small forwards which is good enough for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would have Guessed that Guthrie would make it into the AA before Duncan, and to make it sting even more he is on the wing... Menegola would be right to be feeling a little sore not that Guthrie isn't deserving

8 is the current record - and a few played for Geelong:

Patrick Dangerfield has created history tonight becoming just the sixth player to have been selected in eight All Australian teams.

Dangerfield joins an elite group comprising of Gary Ablett Snr, Gary Ablett Jnr, Lance Franklin, Robert Harvey and Mark Riccuito.

Ahh ok. There you go. I would of thought Buckley might have the most, or even Goodes.

Yeah it would be ok. They have a squad of 40 anyway, just add 4 more players.

They'd have to be more positionally aware with their selections otherwise one team might run out of mids, on a related note I wonder how many teams that could make before the teams start looking a little meh.

YPO must be spewing about Guthrie.

And no idea how danger was made captain.
Perfect choice for captain given the COVID year and how he has lead the PA.
On the field lead the cats in many games and not too many more experienced than Paddy in the AA team.
Perfect captain!

Perfect choice for captain given the COVID year and how he has lead the PA.
On the field lead the cats in many games and not too many more experienced than Paddy in the AA team.
Perfect captain!
Bull dust. Aflpa has zero to do with it.

I'm surprised he even made the side.
But captain?

I didn't think Mitch or Blicavs would get picked but I thought Menegola deserved a spot. Congrats to Cam, Paddy, & TBone for their selections. Paddy getting Captain, I felt, was more to do with this being his 8th AA selection and how he handled himself through the year as the ALPA president. If we were basing it purely on football I probably would have given it to Boak. But that's not to say Paddy didn't deserve the honor.

I think Lachie Neale will win the Brownlow too. He's had an epic year.

Overall, I thought the AA side was a very good team. I could quibble over a few selections, but there was no one selected that didn't deserve it, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back