AFL 'Bet of the Round' POTY

Should we allow members 1 pass per year?

• YES

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • NO

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
iluvparis NonPhixion

~24 hours to go before you get your 3 bets in. If you dont, I am automatically awarding myself Punter of The Year title. :drunk:

Im kinda hoping neither of you send me in your bets.:$

Just on that, if your bet is voided, there is no opportunity to resubmit another bet. Hence pick wisely and be aware of late players potentially being an out.

Its all about strategy and being the most cunning and astute of all punters in this Grand Final.

balmainforever Chism can you please make this thread a sticky if possible just till this time next week? Thanks. The winner deserves to be acknowledged widely on this forum, to achieve punter of the year in AFL is no easy feat esp with all the bs rules I have made ad hoc on the fly.

Jun 13, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hey all,
I'm starting this thread so that some of my favourite punters can post their 1 bet of the round.
We'll make it competitive, i'll keep a leaderboard and we can have the Punter of the Year at the end of it.
So I can keep track of things easily I'll keep the numbers to 14.
Rules:
- Punters will post 1 bet per week.
- The bet will be from any AFL market and can be of any value but has to be 1U. This unit cannot be split. 1U, 1 bet, per week. The leaderboard will then be based on ROI.
- Punters are encouraged to submit the reasoning and analysis behind each bet so that we can all learn different methods of assessing markets.
- The bet has to be submitted by the bounce of that game.
- Due to percentage cut taken by the platform we won't be using BetFair.
- In fairness to those who are banned, please don't post promotional markets
- Please quote total the bet info, which book it is from and the price.
- Once the bet is posted, no editing or changing.
- Each member gets 1 PASS per year if you're away, need a break or just can't find anything you like.
- No brag posting and no barrack posting. I want to keep the thread clean and easy to read. We can keep the chat to the weekly AFL Round post.
- Apologies to others, i just don't have the time to manage an open ended POTY thread.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just to be clear, this thread is for a limited number of posters only to nominate bets, as decided by you? Others cannot post. The AFL Everest or Hotham of sorts. As opposed to the weekly AFL round thread where the same information can be posted by anyone and devil advocated with responses and discussion.

I'm not sure but I think it's the worst idea I've ever seen on the punting board, through duplication and lack of discussion / inclusion.

Jun 13, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Just to be clear, this thread is for a limited number of posters only to nominate bets, as decided by you? Others cannot post. The AFL Everest or Hotham of sorts. As opposed to the weekly AFL round thread where the same information can be posted by anyone and devil advocated with responses and discussion.

I'm not sure but I think it's the worst idea I've ever seen on the punting board, through duplication and lack of discussion / inclusion.
Yeah it's a competition between a limited number of posters. The limit is decided by me because i don't have the time to manage too many posters.
I've picked certain posters because I've noticed over a couple of years that they've had some interesting insights into AFL betting.
It does come off as elitest (especially the nomination part, very MCC lol) and might well be condemned to the rich JW archive of cancelled threads but i thought it might be a bit of fun.
The duplication I feel is more concentration. There are a lot of posts of the weekly AFL thread and I wanted to concentrate the best bets from the best punters, which you might even benefit from!
Feel free to not follow the thread.

Ohh Ok

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have been up and down a bit the season, but happy to post my favourite one or two tips for each round in here if there’s enough interest. Will continue posting up in the other thread anyways.

Sausage Legs

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Be hard for whoever to post just one with the rounds coming up. Teams will be announced every day and a lot of markets won't be up properly.

Jun 13, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Be hard for whoever to post just one with the rounds coming up. Teams will be announced every day and a lot of markets won't be up properly.
Forgot to tag you sossage. You wanna have a go?
I guess it'll just be like a normal round when markets are released gradually.
For example, i like Luke Parker to be over this possession total this week and i predict it to be o22.5 at about 1.90 so i'm gonna wait until Saturday morning for that as i think it'll be value.
Make sense?
It's just 1 pick per round.

Sausage Legs

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Forgot to tag you sossage. You wanna have a go?
I guess it'll just be like a normal round when markets are released gradually.
For example, i like Luke Parker to be over this possession total this week and i predict it to be o22.5 at about 1.90 so i'm gonna wait until Saturday morning for that as i think it'll be value.
Make sense?
It's just 1 pick per round.
No probs, happy to have a go

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I hate this thread because I wasn't included in the list of nominations.

Nah seriously though I like the idea, will follow this thread closely for the rest of the season.

Might even start my own book on who will be the winner.

I nominate NYRB there's no way a man with that many match point total spreadsheets isn't at the pointy end come finals.

alhay6

Debutant
Apr 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Hey all,
I'm starting this thread so that some of my favourite punters can post their 1 bet of the round.
We'll make it competitive, i'll keep a leaderboard and we can have the Punter of the Year at the end of it.
So I can keep track of things easily I'll keep the numbers to 12.
I've nominated 10 of my favourite punters. You guys let me know if you want to opt out.
NonPhixion , Hellboy101 , GROTTO , Ohh Ok , OhhDeledio , karaoke , BuddysBuddy23 , mookieb , Robo87 , iluvparis, squeaky1000, targett,burge13, Sausage Legs
The other 2 (or more if the above opt out, have to be nominated by someone else to keep the quality high).

Rules:
- Punters will post 1 bet per week.
- The bet will be from any AFL market but has to be over $1.80.
- Bet results will only be recorded as WIN or LOSS. So there's no benefit for looking for big odds.
- Punters are encouraged to submit the reasoning and analysis behind each bet so that we can all learn different methods of assessing markets.
- The bet has to be submitted by the bounce of that game.
- There will be ONLY 2 POSTS, PER PUNTER, PER WEEK. The second post can be an assessment of how the bet went. That means, no brag posting and no barrack posting. I want to keep the thread clean and easy to read. We can keep the chat to the weekly AFL Round post.
- Leaderboard will be based on WIN % rather than total wins so if people join late or miss a week, they won't be disadvantaged.
- Apologies to others, i just don't have the time to manage an open ended POTY thread.
Whats the point of not tallying units/odds of the bet? Defeats the purpose of +EV betting if you have to shoehorn your bet into odds. I personally don't consider win % a good metric for a leader board as you could top the leader board and still be down for the year.

Ohh Ok

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Whats the point of not tallying units/odds of the bet? Defeats the purpose of +EV betting if you have to shoehorn your bet into odds. I personally don't consider win % a good metric for a leader board as you could top the leader board and still be down for the year.
I was just thinking this. Someone could tip 55% at an average of $1.80 odds and be in the negatives, whilst one person could tip at 52% at an average of $2 odds and be in the positives. Perhaps it being measured by %ROI would be a fairer/more accurate way of doing things?

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm flattered and honored Fabab and JuniorWatch and will take up my spot in the competition if welcomed by OP.

I must confess that I spent some serious time yesterday going over my betting history for the year and discovered I am down about 9 units in 2020.

I'm up about 50 units on AFL, but down by that much (and then some) on soccer.

I refuse to stop betting on soccer because I love watching EPL, the timezone works well for me here in Malaysia.

Last edited:
Assuming all nominations take their place and post a bet every week, here's the opening odds on overall winner.

NonPhixion: $2.5
ohh ok: $4
mookieb: $7
iluvparis: $9

Anybody not listed: $6

I’m not even nominated. $9 a solid TAB style pricing on that basis

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m not even nominated. $9 a solid TAB style pricing on that basis
I thought you were nominated.

If you aren't, then I'm going to have to adjust the odds accordingly.

iluvparis out to a juicy $13. Nathan Brown's bet of the week :thumbsu:

image012.jpg

Back